Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Well, I guess we know now what Warner Media plans to do.  Strip out all the character on the TCM website (go look at TNT's site  --  very similar website style though a very different kind of network,) eliminate any advance information about scheduling, add lots and lots of more "modern" films, eliminate or completely re-vamp the Now Playing e-blast and probably, eliminate "themed" portions of the daytime and nighttime schedules.  I sure hope TopBilled continues to do his posts on daily themes (assuming TCM even continues to do themed segments) because that's the only way at present to figure out what a day/night theme is. Feeling very, very pessimistic about what Warner is going to do in the future considering what they have done lately.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably can't put a good spin on this, but TCM never did tell us what the daytime themes were, anyway, and I think on the weekends they sometimes didn't have any? Personally, I found some of the programming a bit "over-themed". Star of the Month, for example, started having themes within themes. Once upon a time, they would make Loretta Young the SOTM and just show as many movies of hers as they could get access to roughly in chronological order, then a week later, they'd pick up where they left off. Now, each night's airing has to have its own specific theme: tonight, all of Rita Hayworth's comedies; next Monday, all her pairings with Glenn Ford; the Monday after that, all her noirs, etc.

We will have to see about more "modern" movies, which always seems to cause upset on these message boards. The current women directors showcase seems weighted very modern (although, obviously, there weren't a lot of women directors to choose from back in the day). But TCM has had more modern-weighted themes in the past. I remember a Hayayo Miazaki spotlight maybe a dozen years ago that really surprised me. And 31 Days usually throws in at least a couple of movies that are fewer than 20 years old.

I most hate the apparent elimination of advanced information. I probably just don't have enough to do in my life (I should probably go work for a charity or something), but one of my great time-filling pleasures for years has been to look ahead about three months and start "wish-listing" which films I'm going to have time for. I would slog through the generally much-hated 31 Days schedule because every year there would be four or five surprises that I hadn't seen yet. I also loved looking ahead to SOTM and SUTS schedules to find all the non-library films and try to plan ahead to see them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I probably can't put a good spin on this, but TCM never did tell us what the daytime themes were, anyway, and I think on the weekends they sometimes didn't have any? Personally, I found some of the programming a bit "over-themed". Star of the Month, for example, started having themes within themes. Once upon a time, they would make Loretta Young the SOTM and just show as many movies of hers as they could get access to roughly in chronological order, then a week later, they'd pick up where they left off. Now, each night's airing has to have its own specific theme: tonight, all of Rita Hayworth's comedies; next Monday, all her pairings with Glenn Ford; the Monday after that, all her noirs, etc.

We will have to see about more "modern" movies, which always seems to cause upset on these message boards. The current women directors showcase seems weighted very modern (although, obviously, there weren't a lot of women directors to choose from back in the day). But TCM has had more modern-weighted themes in the past. I remember a Hayayo Miazaki spotlight maybe a dozen years ago that really surprised me. And 31 Days usually throws in at least a couple of movies that are fewer than 20 years old.

I most hate the apparent elimination of advanced information. I probably just don't have enough to do in my life (I should probably go work for a charity or something), but one of my great time-filling pleasures for years has been to look ahead about three months and start "wish-listing" which films I'm going to have time for. I would slog through the generally much-hated 31 Days schedule because every year there would be four or five surprises that I hadn't seen yet. I also loved looking ahead to SOTM and SUTS schedules to find all the non-library films and try to plan ahead to see them.

Up until a few years ago, TCM  used  on-air announcers to tell viewers the daytime theme ("We're celebrating Guy Kibbee's birthday today on Turner Classic Movies..."), but that practice was discontinued for some reason--now, no on-air daytime announcements at all. Maybe they should re-introduce that feature. It certainly wouldn't take up any more time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skipd55 said:

Up until a few years ago, TCM  used  on-air announcers to tell viewers the daytime theme ("We're celebrating Guy Kibbee's birthday today on Turner Classic Movies..."), but that practice was discontinued for some reason--now, no on-air daytime announcements at all. Maybe they should re-introduce that feature. It certainly wouldn't take up any more time.

Funny you should mention this.  Not too long ago, I was reviewing my VHS tapes to see if there were any movies that I had not seen or anything that I wanted to see again  before disconnecting my VHS player.  I caught a few of these TCM on-air announcements and was thinking that I wish they didn't stop doing them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skipd55 said:

Up until a few years ago, TCM  used  on-air announcers to tell viewers the daytime theme ("We're celebrating Guy Kibbee's birthday today on Turner Classic Movies..."), but that practice was discontinued for some reason--now, no on-air daytime announcements at all. Maybe they should re-introduce that feature. It certainly wouldn't take up any more time.

I loved when they did those "coming up next announcements." Gave the station some real personality and served the wonderful function (if you happened to have TCM on) of reminding you (especially when you had the TV on but were in another room) about a film you just might want to see or tape.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lydecker said:

Well, I guess we know now what Warner Media plans to do.  Strip out all the character on the TCM website (go look at TNT's site  --  very similar website style though a very different kind of network,) eliminate any advance information about scheduling, add lots and lots of more "modern" films, eliminate or completely re-vamp the Now Playing e-blast and probably, eliminate "themed" portions of the daytime and nighttime schedules.  I sure hope TopBilled continues to do his posts on daily themes (assuming TCM even continues to do themed segments) because that's the only way at present to figure out what a day/night theme is. Feeling very, very pessimistic about what Warner is going to do in the future considering what they have done lately.

I am hoping they start publishing the primetime themes again on the daily schedule. It's a shame for them to just go away like that.

I suppose if they eliminate some of the extras, then the website and the channel itself becomes more automated and easier to run from "remote" locations.

Where is Peter Finch's NETWORK character when we need him? :) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I probably can't put a good spin on this, but TCM never did tell us what the daytime themes were, anyway, and I think on the weekends they sometimes didn't have any? Personally, I found some of the programming a bit "over-themed". Star of the Month, for example, started having themes within themes. Once upon a time, they would make Loretta Young the SOTM and just show as many movies of hers as they could get access to roughly in chronological order, then a week later, they'd pick up where they left off. Now, each night's airing has to have its own specific theme: tonight, all of Rita Hayworth's comedies; next Monday, all her pairings with Glenn Ford; the Monday after that, all her noirs, etc.

We will have to see about more "modern" movies, which always seems to cause upset on these message boards. The current women directors showcase seems weighted very modern (although, obviously, there weren't a lot of women directors to choose from back in the day). But TCM has had more modern-weighted themes in the past. I remember a Hayayo Miazaki spotlight maybe a dozen years ago that really surprised me. And 31 Days usually throws in at least a couple of movies that are fewer than 20 years old.

I most hate the apparent elimination of advanced information. I probably just don't have enough to do in my life (I should probably go work for a charity or something), but one of my great time-filling pleasures for years has been to look ahead about three months and start "wish-listing" which films I'm going to have time for. I would slog through the generally much-hated 31 Days schedule because every year there would be four or five surprises that I hadn't seen yet. I also loved looking ahead to SOTM and SUTS schedules to find all the non-library films and try to plan ahead to see them.

I loved knowing what the themes were because it was a "shorthand reminder" for  --  "Oh, I want to remember to check out (insert date) since that's Van Heflin Day.  Or, it's 'New York Noir' Day. " The website schedule only indicated the primetime themes (at least in recent history) but the Now Playing E-Blasts indicated both daytime and primetime themes on some dates (not all.) In general,  I'm all for adding  "modern" films to the mix on TCM,  though I am not a fan of "Women Make Film" because it totally ignores the contributions of American women  filmmakers who are NOT directors (writers, editors, etc.) and is alternatively very skewed toward foreign filmmakers. Also, I am a big believer in TCM special programming (from SOTMs to Spotlights) being a month-long, but no longer. If you hate the SOTM, if you find the Spotlight boring, you don't have to endure that programming much past 30 days.  "Women Make Film" is going on forever . . . 4 months??!! Shoot me.  

Like you, my biggest problem is the lack of advance information regarding scheduling.  No one ever cared that a schedule that you downloaded 2-3 months ahead might have some changes  --  in the main, the schedule was "set" and it gave you a wonderful preview of that upcoming month.  Not wanting to panic but I am seeing a ton of small changes that do not portend well for the TCM we have all enjoyed so much.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I am hoping they start publishing the primetime themes again on the daily schedule. It's a shame for them to just go away like that.

I suppose if they eliminate some of the extras, then the website and the channel itself becomes more automated and easier to run from "remote" locations.

Where is Peter Finch's NETWORK character when we need him? :) 

I know I am probably the 10,000th person to say this, but the new daily schedule is so bloody annoying.  Before (sans huge images!) you could see several hours worth of programming in front of your eyes.  Now you are endlessly scrolling just to find out what's on next.  Though I, like so many others, printed month's schedule's ahead of time,  if I happen to be in the mood to turn on TCM, the first thing I would do was go to the website to check the schedule.  Now, instead of having several hours' choices laid out in front of my eyes, I have to scroll and click links endlessly.  What really kills me is that I would assume these changes were primarily made for mobile and yet tons of folks are saying the new website is even worse on mobile than it is on a laptop.  

TopBilled  --  I copied your post about prime time themes for October, November and December this AM and printed them.  At least now I have SOMETHING that gives me some idea of what the next couple of month's programming will be.  It's a damn shame when people on these message boards provide more real information than the network itself does.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lydecker said:

TopBilled  --  I copied your post about prime time themes for October, November and December this AM and printed them.  At least now I have SOMETHING that gives me some idea of what the next couple of month's programming will be.  It's a damn shame when people on these message boards provide more real information than the network itself does.

I am glad you've found the information helpful/useful.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For several years now I’ve been posting my own version of the monthly schedule which lists both the daytime and primetime themes for each day in pdf format.  I typically post this one month in advance for planning purposes.

You can find my schedules for October and November at

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

The thread I use on the TCM message boards to announce the new schedule availability is at

TCM Forums - Early Now Playing Guide

MovieCollectorOH provides the TCM premiere information that I show in the document, so this is sort of a joint project of ours.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

For several years now I’ve been posting my own version of the monthly schedule which lists both the daytime and primetime themes for each day in pdf format.  I typically post this one month in advance for planning purposes.

You can find my schedules for October and November at

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

The thread I use on the TCM message boards to announce the new schedule availability is at

TCM Forums - Early Now Playing Guide

MovieCollectorOH provides the TCM premiere information that I show in the document, so this is sort of a joint project of ours.

Thanks. I like how you have included the daytime themes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I am hoping they start publishing the primetime themes again on the daily schedule. It's a shame for them to just go away like that.

I suppose if they eliminate some of the extras, then the website and the channel itself becomes more automated and easier to run from "remote" locations.

Where is Peter Finch's NETWORK character when we need him? :) 

Fortunately the theme data is still in the schedule source data - they just aren't publishing it on the schedule webpage for now.  When January JSON files become available, we'll be able to see if they will continue with themes or not.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Fortunately the theme data is still in the schedule source data - they just aren't publishing it on the schedule webpage for now.  When January JSON files become available, we'll be able to see if they will continue with themes or not.

Yes, we'll be able to start seeing some of the January information on December 1st. 

If they no longer list the themes, then we'll be doing some guess work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Fortunately the theme data is still in the schedule source data - they just aren't publishing it on the schedule webpage for now.  When January JSON files become available, we'll be able to see if they will continue with themes or not.

That feed that has the themes isn't what they are using  for the new schedule though.  The feed for the new schedule is without the themes and also has less technical info. 

This seems all but forgotten around here, but to make it easier to figure out, I am dumping the contents of that older feed out to a webpage each night, as-is (link 1).  Also now I am doing the same for the newer feed - which is what goes to the new official schedule (link 2).  The data feed used to make the second link is actually what they use for the Daily schedule now, but the Monthly schedule is currently just a subset of that (data is the same). 

You can pull both up and see there are some other differences in style too (no more trailing articles, different date format, etc). 
edit: added in "theme" from old feed

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That feed that has the themes isn't what they are using  for the new schedule though.  The feed for the new schedule is without the themes and also has less technical info. 

This seems all but forgotten around here, but to make it easier to figure out, I am dumping the contents of that older feed out to a webpage each night, as-is (link 1).  Also now I am doing the same for the newer feed - which is what goes to the new official schedule (link 2).  This second link is actually what they use for the Daily schedule now, but the Monthly schedule is currently just a subset of that (data is the same). 

You can pull both up and see there are some other differences in style too (no more trailing articles, different date format, etc),  I didn't think the theme field for the old feed was that important for the sake of comparison, but I could include that too.

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

Thanks.  I thought the JSON file was the only source of data being used (but I haven't followed all the discussions regarding the APIs that closely, TBH).  Seems inefficient to have two (or more?) sources of schedule data, unless one is just a reduction of the other.   

Did they do that when the sped up the page loading?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Thanks.  I thought the JSON file was the only source of data being used (but I haven't followed all the discussions regarding the APIs that closely, TBH).  Seems inefficient to have two (or more?) sources of schedule data, unless one is just a reduction of the other.   

Did they do that when the sped up the page loading?

Only one set of JSON files is directly used in the "new schedule".  Then there is the "older set" which isn't.  Presumably it is still used for something, one can only hope.  Compare my two linked files for yourself - they are dissimilar to an extent.  Other than that, there's not much to know about the APIs.

The use of one set of JSON files over the other has nothing to do with speed.  It is a design choice.

There is a small gain in speed, especially with smaller devices that have smaller CPUs, in using any form of JSON (versus static HTML).  That is only due to the way it loads images and larger files on demand as the user scrolls down.  That is in contrast to the entire page loading on a conventional static HTML page (page contents generated on server-side using something like PHP, versus on client-side using something like JSON).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...