Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Luke Perry (1966-2019)

jakeem

Actor Luke Perry, who became a teen idol in the 1990s television series "Beverly Hills, 90210," died Monday -- days after he suffered a massive stroke. He was 52.

According to his representative: "He was surrounded by his children Jack and Sophie, fiancé Wendy Madison Bauer, ex-wife Minnie Sharp, mother Ann Bennett, stepfather Steve Bennett, brother Tom Perry, sister Amy Coder and other close family and friends."

Image result for luke perry images

Since 2017, he had starred in "Riverdale," a series on The CW that seriously re-invents the "Archie" comics series (it's like a cross between "Beverly Hills, 90210" and "Twin Peaks"). Perry played Fred Andrews, the owner of a construction company and father of Archie Andrews (KJ Apa). Molly Ringwald (pictured below with Perry) had a recurring role as Fred's ex-wife, Mary.

"Riverdale" has shut down production this week in the aftermath of Perry's death.

Image result for luke perry riverdale images

His final film project was a role in director Quentin Tarantino's upcoming film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," which focuses on an eventful period in 1969. Perry's character is said to be based on the Canadian actor Wayne Maunder, who died in November at the age of 80.

Perry originally tested for the role of Steve Sanders in the FOX Network's teen-oriented series "Beverly Hills, 90210." But that role went to Ian Ziering. Perry wound up with a more substantial role -- Dylan McKay, the brooding bad boy of the drama about teens who resided within a posh zip code

"Beverly Hills, 90210" was a phenomenal success on the relatively new FOX Network. It ran for 10 seasons -- from  October 4, 1990 to May 17, 2000. In addition to Perry and Ziering, the series made stars of Jason Priestley, Shannen Doherty, Jennie Garth, Gabrielle Carteris (now president of SAG-AFTRA), Brian Austin Green and Tori Spelling.

Perry left the series in the fall of 1995, but returned in 1998 for the final seasons of the show.

Image result for luke perry tv guide covers images

Among his film appearances were "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the 1992 horror tale that starred Kristy Swanson and inspired the long-running television series); "8 Seconds" (the 1994 screen bio of the late American rodeo rider Lane Frost); "The Fifth Element" (1997, Luc Besson's futuristic tale about a cab driver -- played by Bruce Willis -- who discovered Earth's salvation).

After "Beverly Hills, 90210" ended in 2000, Perry appeared as an imprisoned minister in Season 4 of the provocative HBO drama series "Oz" and in the short-lived 2006 ABC drama "Windfall" (about a handful of lottery winners). He also starred in another HBO series, the offbeat 2007 drama "John in Cincinnati." 

He elected not to appear in The CW's 2008 revival of his most famous show -- this version was simply titled "90210 -- and he was not expected to return for a third version of the series announced by FOX last week.

Dearest Luke, I will forever bask in the loving memories we've shared over the last thirty years. May your journey forward be enriched by the magnificent souls who have passed before you, just like you have done here, for those you leave behind.

Dearest Luke- I am so heart broken and at a loss for words. You my friend were a mighty soul and have left your mark. My love and prayers to the family and all who loved you. RIP

My heart is broken. I will miss you so much Luke Perry. Sending all my love to your family. ❤️#LukePerry

The first time I met Luke Perry we talked about what kind of movie we wanted “Buffy” to be. I asked if he’d ever seen “Near Dark” and he gave me a look of HOW DARE YOU SIR and I knew we’d get along. Funny, committed, and always gracious. He shouldn’t be gone.

I don’t understand how he’s gone.

His soul always shined so bright. His smile. His talent. His kindness. He was always the coolest person in the room.

Rest with the angels, sweet Luke. I will never forget you.

xIiJXovA_bigger.jpgDaniel FienbergVerified account @TheFienPrint

There wasn't even any point in TRYING to be as brooding, cool and aspirationally fixable as Dylan McKay. Luke Perry embodied that, but was also a solid and versatile actor beyond that. This is so truly sad. #RIP

James Poniewozik Retweeted Kate Aurthur

He was such a soulful presence on 90210, and I loved the generational torch-passing of casting him on Riverdale. RIP.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Co-star of the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. That and his small bit at the beginning of The Fifth Element were all I'd really seen him in, but I recall what a cultural figure he was during the 1990's to a certain demographic. Sad whenever they die young(ish).

I see that he shot a role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, playing TV actor Wayne Maunder, who died last November. :( 

When I heard the news,my mind instantly went back to that interview that they periodically run on TCM between the movies that features him, Dwight Yoakam, and A third guy that I forget, and they’re discussing  westerns, and they obviously know their stuff.

”unhand my fie anncy.”

Heard the name (seen it on ads, commercials, etc) but wouldn't have ever known what he ever appeared in or what he was famous for.

Seems like a pretty common name among 'celebs' these days. Steve Perry, Tyler Perry, Matthew Perry, Katie Perry, Luke Perry...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

When I heard the news,my mind instantly went back to that interview that they periodically run on TCM between the movies that features him, Dwight Yoakam, and A third guy that I forget, and they’re discussing  westerns, and they obviously know their stuff.

”unhand my fie anncy.”

The third guy was Billy Bob Thornton, Lorna. And yeah, it was an interesting conversation I thought, too.

Shocking. No other word for it.

He had quit Beverly Hills 90210 in the middle of its run, but then came back towards the end as a "special guest star." In the world of Aaron Spelling TV shows, that meant you had made it, had become ultra famous. Farrah Fawcett, Heather Locklear and Luke Perry all enjoyed this rarified status on one of Spelling's hit shows.

The answer to the question on the cover of this magazine is no:

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 12.38.05 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Co-star of the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. That and his small bit at the beginning of The Fifth Element were all I'd really seen him in, but I recall what a cultural figure he was during the 1990's to a certain demographic. Sad whenever they die young(ish).

Buffy was all I had seen him in too, but I always liked him in that movie.  He clearly had fun and didn't mind being a little goofy, which was refreshing for someone who had already acquired "teen idol" status.  RIP

maxresdefault-1.jpg?fit=1280,720

29 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Shocking. No other word for it.

He had quit Beverly Hills 90210 in the middle of its run, but then came back towards the end as a "special guest star." In the world of Aaron Spelling TV shows, that meant you had made it, had become ultra famous. Farrah Fawcett, Heather Locklear and Luke Perry all enjoyed this rarified status on one of Spelling's hit shows.

The answer to the question on the cover of this magazine is no:

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 12.38.05 PM.jpeg

Great picture and cover. Luke and Brian Austin Green were the most handsome stars of Beverly Hills, 90210.

• Like 2

So sad. Much too young, it's a tragedy. Luke Perry was a hearttrob to my daughters and their friends. They all loved watching him on 90210. By all accounts he was a really sweet, nice guy. It was so interesting to see his promo on TCM discussing westerns. He was a talented, handsome actor.

RIP Luke Perry

• Like 1

These days it's shocking when anyone dies of a heart attack at 52. The top picture in this thread shows Luke Perry looking, I would have guessed, at least 65. Still a handsome man, but with lots of mileage. Perhaps it's the illness that makes him look older than his years.

Beverly Hills 90210 was popular worldwide. Sometime in the early to mid-1990s I was vacationing in Padua. As you might expect, all kinds of religious knickknacks were on sale outside the church of St. Anthony. Alongside the religious items with images of Jesus and the Virgin Mary were . . . knickknacks with pictures of Luke Perry and Shannen Doherty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingrat said:

These days it's shocking when anyone dies of a heart attack at 52. The top picture in this thread shows Luke Perry looking, I would have guessed, at least 65. Still a handsome man, but with lots of mileage. Perhaps it's the illness that makes him look older than his years.

I thought it was a stroke that killed him. Not that it makes much difference, it's sad either way. I'd read that he'd also battled cancer in the past. I always thought he aged very quickly, but assumed he partied hard during his peak. He may also have just aged more naturally than those who get facelifts, injections, fillers, and other procedures.

• Like 1

This is so sad.  I'm not surprised after reading how severe his stroke was, however I was surprised to read of him having the stroke at such a young age.  

I watched Beverly Hills 90210 every week with my parents back in the day--even in elementary school when I was obviously too young for it.  It ran from first grade through tenth for me. Lol.  Dylan McKay was my favorite character on the show.  I'd pick him over Brandon in a heartbeat.

In honor of Luke Perry, I am re-watching the show.  It's streaming on Hulu and Amazon Prime right now.

giphy.gif

The best part of opening credits.  RIP Luke :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought it was a stroke that killed him. Not that it makes much difference, it's sad either way. I'd read that he'd also battled cancer in the past. I always thought he aged very quickly, but assumed he partied hard during his peak. He may also have just aged more naturally than those who get facelifts, injections, fillers, and other procedures.

It was a massive stroke but the type and what lead to it is unknown at present.

https://6abc.com/entertainment/luke-perry-dies-days-after-suffering-massive-stroke/5166745/

His unexpected and sudden death may raise awareness to recognize the early signs / symptoms.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stroke-warning-signs-luke-perry-death/

RIP

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

It was a massive stroke but the type and what lead to it is unknown at present.

https://6abc.com/entertainment/luke-perry-dies-days-after-suffering-massive-stroke/5166745/

His unexpected and sudden death may raise awareness to recognize the early signs / symptoms.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stroke-warning-signs-luke-perry-death/

RIP

And despite any "advancements", that's hard to determine.  As one who went through a "mini" stroke 5 years ago, you can imagine how scared the news of this much younger man( I was 63 when I had my incident) dying from that makes me.  

To me, that's the real tragedy here.

RIP

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

Feeling deja vu with Perry's passing, exactly 1 month ago another actor Kristoff St. John also died very suddenly at the same age of 52. :blink:

Both are last on anyone's list of dying at such (still a young) age. 

I don't think the cause of Kristoff's death has been revealed to the public. 

WOW. That cover is fantastic! Would've bought it had I seen it! So sad to die at so young an age. I never watched the show, but remember all the hoopla over him and Jason Priestley in the show.

I loved him in Riverdale. He was the sanest, most reasonable parent in a world of gangs, mafia, candy drugs, more gangs, prison fight clubs, Archie's music career, murder mysteries, cults and gangs.

And his cameo in Johnny Bravo for "Luke Perry's Guide to Love".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings