Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

my new laptop

:)

actually it's an old HP with a screen that doan work. got it from my nephew who said his girlfriend sat on the screen. no good the way it is because he doan remember his password and the optical drive doan work. right now I wanna erase the hard drive and get a fresh windows 10 on it. it has a good processor. an intel core i3.

Image result for hp probook 450 g2

• Like 2

okay, it's a piece of junk with a broken screen but does have 8 gigs of ram so there. what's the price of a new laptop with that much memory?

plus I have an external dvd burner so I can burn with it and I think my nephew told me he put a SSD in it.

:D

14 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

actually it's an old HP with a screen that doan work. got it from my nephew who said his girlfriend sat on the screen. no good the way it is because he doan remember his password and the optical drive doan work. right now I wanna erase the hard drive and get a fresh windows 10 on it. it has a good processor. an intel core i3.

Hey, maybe it's got her butt print on it. :lol: :) 

• Haha 1

The optical drive doan seem to work so I connected my Memorex external dvd burner to it and I got the screen that gives you the option of resetting the whole deal. it erases all your personal files including the password you have no hope of recalling and reinstalls windows. 

so that's what I did and completed around two thirty in the morning...

than I got the setup 3rd degree from the lovely invisible cortana...

after that I went to bed.

today I'll take a look around and see what the onboard hardware is. I hope my nephew did put in an SSD because they are fast.

two tin cans and a length of string --always cheaper, and a lot more fun than any 'puter

5 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

two tin cans and a length of string --always cheaper, and a lot more fun than any 'puter

sound carried by vibration.

no SSD just a conventional 500GB hard drive. I think windows is corrupted because it's not recognizing some hardware.

I did find out exactly what it is from the BIOS...

it's an HP ProBook 450 G2

well here's the latest. I reinstalled windows 10 on 'er from an external usb hard drive but there is still 2 gigs of space dedicated to "HP TOOLS". nothing there but empty space. the dvd tray doan work and it won't recognize a usb dvd burner I plugged in so I have no way to boot from a disc. the BIOS doan seem to have any features like changing the boot order so if I could run something like dban from my external usb hard drive and erase everything I probably then would have no way of reinstalling windows. I doan have any usb flash drive and I ain't gonna go out and buy one neither. no sir! so I'm gonna try Disk Wipe which can erase unwanted folders and partitions  I'll get rid of the windows.old folder and HP TOOLS which is taking up space. if I can get the laptop's dvd tray working and or the usb dvd burner and I have a way to boot from a disc then I can use dban but at this point I'll be happy just to get rid of windows.old and HP TOOLS.

I wonder if that broken screen could be causing a system conflict? I'll check it out in device manager and if it's there I will completely remove it.

I'm better with software than I am with hardware anyways...

"I'm a much better builder than I am a farmer anyway." -dick proenneke

Image result for dick proenneke

okay, now I'm gonna get rough! :D not too satisfied with that windows 10 install especially now that there's a message in the lower right corner of my screen saying "windows not activated. go to settings." HP TOOLS is still there. tried Disk Wipe and it did not remove HP TOOLS just erased what was in it but empty space now it says 0 bytes which is supposed to make me happy? and Disk Wipe can't go into local disk and remove any folders so I'm still stuck with Windows.old…...

so on my external usb hard drive I have prepared two folders for a two-pronged attack/ one folder I named xxx (I'll know what it means) and in it put windows 10 installation files. not the same one I ran the other nite, this one is activated.

in the 2nd folder which I named xp are xp installation files. as many know an xp install gives you the option of formatting your hard drive and losing all that pesky old data...

and that's how it shall be! this is war!

after the xp installation I'll use that for the windows 10 installation.

"and I'm back in the universe again! -Harry Mudd

Image result for harry mudd star trek

to some a laptop with a broken screen is junk but the screen still throws off alotta light from a mishapen blotch

I can see the keyboard good at nite.:) and a laptop with 8 gigs of DDR3 ram ain't nothing to pass on.

the old laptop configuration is probably on it's way out along with desktops. they will be supplanted eventually by tablets and smartphones.

more on my struggle....

my foolish hope was that I could downgrade from windows 10 to xp but of course that is not possible and I'm not gonna waste time with 7 or 8.1.

so here's my plan. I shall conquer this struggle with a terrific free program called aomei backupper.

greatest free overwrite tool if you ask me. it can make a file of your hard drive image and then install it over what you wanna get rid of.

if I can't do it the xp way than I'll do it the aomei way.

so right now I got windows 10 on my main computer so using backupper I'll make a drive image of that, install aomei backupper on the laptop and put the drive image I'm gonna create on my external usb hard drive and use backupper to overwrite the laptop hard drive and install the drive image over that...

should work.

it worked! the file I created with aomei backupper successfully overwrote the old data on the laptop hard drive. there was a warning box saying that if I proceeded the computer might not boot but I know what I'm doin'.

aomei backupper is great! a freeware program not so elaborate as Norton ghost and it works!

I only wish the laptop's dvd drive worked. all this was accomplished from my old Maxtor 200GB external usb 1.0 hard drive.

well, I did it but is it worth it? the dvd drive doan work and it ain't exactly a robust wifi connectivity hound either but what the heck. found a sticker on the bottom when I moved the laptop to another location. I thought it came preinstalled with windows 7 but the sticker says windows 8 pro.
read a nice UK review about this particular laptop on google. said for an inexpensive laptop it has a very good chassis and they liked the rubberized feel to the lid. the core i3 4030u has 2 physical cores but emulates 4 with hyperthreading and they said the single core performance was very good rating it a 46.

terrific news last nite I plugged in my Memorex multi-format dvd burner unit and the laptop recognized it. the laptop's onboard hp DVDRAM GU90N is not working even though it too is recognized. I know the Memorex will work so now I have a threshold to if I want use dban but I doan but I can now burn discs with the laptop.

anybody remember an episode of mannix where the murder victim is a guy who invents a briefcase sized computer using revolutionary microcircuits?.....

a few more years and he coulda had himself a kaypro.

Image result for kaypro computer

success! success! success! last nite I was able to change the boot order and the laptop booted from an external dvd burner already loaded with my disc of DBAN and that marvelous destruction of data began. now I shall install windows 10 fresh from a disc.

everytime I turn it on I have to shut the lid so the monitor will kick in so I can see what I'm doing.

Image result for hp probook 450 g2

• my battle continues...
  •  
  • the windows 10 disc I was gonna use proved to be no good because I get asked for licensing info so the hell with that...
    so I figure just download another one but windows 10 has become scarce on the torrent front for fear of piracy...but I still found a good one and activated too. so as I type this still have to burn the iso to a disc.
  •  
  • oh, going through some old discs found a disc I was looking for with windows 8.1
  • :D
  •  

lots to tell firstly...tomorrow is my birthday...doan applaud just throw complements, I'll be 60. :D really messed up that laptop when I wiped the hard drive. I thought it would boot from the external dvd drive I ran dban from...but it didn't! no boot!..none. I thought I could install windows from an external usb hard drive but so far no luck. it's like the usb drive is not even there. what a stubborn laptop these HPs be. all I keep getting is this BIOS UEFI diagnostic screen. can't do a thing with it so I just cloned my hard drive image on to the usb hard drive. surely the laptop won't pass up booting from that?...I hope. if it doan work I guess I'll need a usb flash drive...

anyways my sister made me as a birthday gift my favorite dish spaghetti and meat-a-balls. I luva meat-a-balls.

my brother gave me a neat gift of a tablet a prestige visual land. tonite I'm gonna check out the village of the giants dance clip on it. it kinda excites me.

yeah, that tablet my brother gave me ain't too shabby. a Visual Land Prestige Elite 9Q with 1 GB of DDR3 ram and 16 GB of space.

I hafta get a usb flash drive to fix the laptop...if that doan work the laptop is only gonna be good for parts.

incredible! the impossible has happened. I thought that laptop was only gonna be good for parts unless I could make something happen with a usb flash drive. ordered one too! now it is not needed. the laptop was stuck in this diagnostic mode and when I a short time ago managed to get it out of it then things happened. I was prudent enough to have a windows 10 disc in the external dvd drive and plugged in. I got a message saying no bootdevice found and further a OS needed to be installed...so NOW the dam thing is hungry after being comatose for like 5 days with a blanked HDD. so I restarted and installation time! it was so nice to see that HDD indicator flickering with activity. reminds me of the grapes of wrath...

"flats made round"

laptops made bootable

Happy Birthday, Nipper! I wish you all the best on your birthday, man.

Canada_Day_2016_Fireworks_(27929885402).

• Thanks 1

got a great buy of a sandisk cruzer 64GB usb flash drive for just 10.46 offa amazon...but the laptop doan recognize it. :huh:

shows up on my other computer. so it wouldn't have helped me with the laptop. nice to have anyway. 64GBs ain't hay. doan really need the laptop but I can always use a 2nd burn station for disc media.

yesterday moved the laptop and connected it to my 32" flatscreen with a vga cable.

makes a nice wide monitor.