Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stars that deserve discussion

TopBilled

It's a pet peeve of mine that we tend to forget so-and-so and only talk about so-and-so again when they die.

So I wanted to create a thread about talented entertainers (actors and singers) who are currently still with us, that deserve a bit of discussion.

Ten Women with interesting personal and professional lives:

(listed alphabetically)

CANDICE BERGEN. So many things. Daughter of a radio star. Sister to a dummy. Model. Movie star. TV star. French director's wife. Murphy Brown. Beautiful woman.

CHER. It was once written that after a nuclear war, we'd still have cockroaches and Cher. You can have the cockroaches. I'll take Cher.

DORIS DAY. There will be lots of sadness when this legendary lady passes. But I'm glad she's still around!

ELLEN DEGENERES. I will admit, not one of my favorite celebs. But she's led a fascinating life. And her success can't be denied. I mean, we're talking huge success, for someone who faced a lot of obstacles.

ANGELA LANSBURY. I'm afraid that people over-associate her with Jessica Fletcher. But come on, she's played hundreds of characters and done them all with precision and incredible skill. She's a legend.

BETTE MIDLER. Many different phases in the Divine M's career. RUTHLESS PEOPLE is my favorite comedy from the 1980s. She's hilarious in it! And I love the song 'From a Distance.'

DOLLY PARTON. Iconic on so many levels. One of the best songwriters in American popular music.

GRACE SLICK. Recently I watched some Starship videos from the mid-to-late 1980s. There she was a woman pushing 50, in a boy band, turning out one top ten hit after another. She defied ageism. And that was just one chapter in a long and illustrious career. Her personal life could fill books. Oh and what a voice. One of the greats.

BETTY WHITE. I hope she lives to 100. Don't you?

KIM ZIMMER. Probably the best American soap opera actress of all time. She spent 21 years and over 5000 episodes playing Reva Shayne on Guiding Light. Kim did it all as Reva. Thank goodness she got the last scene when the show ended . She deserved it. In her autobiography, she says she wanted to earn Emmys to give one to each of her kids. She has three kids. She earned four Emmys. So the extra Emmy is for her husband/agent.

Ten Men with interesting personal and professional lives:

RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN. Closeted for years, finally came out. The king of the TV miniseries for quite a few years running.

GEORGE CLOONEY. Who doesn't like him? Nobody. Right.

MICHAEL J. FOX. I think he's sort of in a class by himself. 

NORMAN LLOYD. I grew up watching him on St. Elsewhere. I had no idea he'd done a thousand other things or that he would live to be a thousand years old.

BOB NEWHART. You don't even need to mention his first name. Everyone knows who he is.

JACK NICHOLSON. A friend of mine was working as an extra in movies, trying to get her Screen Actors Guild membership. She needed so many words/lines on screen to qualify. She was working on a Jack Nicholson movie. I think it was a restaurant scene. She had no lines, was supposed to bring the food to his table. He found out she still wasn't a member of SAG, so he deliberately ad-libbed lines with her in that scene so she could have dialogue and qualify. We're talking a big star helping out a nobody. She never forgot it. And neither have I. 

NEHEMIAH PERSOFF. He's 99 as I write this. I never saw a performance from him that didn't strengthen a weak script or make a good script even better. Why isn't he more widely recognized?

SIDNEY POITIER. He's always been true to himself. And true to us.

TOM SELLECK. Star. No other word for him. Star.

ROBERT WAGNER. In the first paragraph of his obituary, we know Natalie will be mentioned. But his life has a lot of interesting phases.

• Like 5

Margo:  Eve evil, Little Miss Evil....But the evil that men do...how does it go, groom?  Something about the good they leave behind.  I played it once in rep in Wilkes Barre.....

Bill:  You've got it backwards.  Even for Wilkes-Barre.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

So I wanted to create a thread about talented entertainers (actors and singers) who are currently still with us, that deserve a bit of discussion.

I agree on these:

Doris Day- multi talented, very underrated. She could do drama (Love Me Or Leave Me) comedy (Pillow Talk) and one of the greatest singing voices ever (No one else can do "Secret Love" or "It's Magic")

Grace Slick-one of the most powerful voices in rock'n'roll, also a striking raven haired beauty, could have been a movie star if she wanted.

Bob Newhart- the master of low key humor and created a whole new style of comedy with his telephone routines in which he would react to something that we cannot see or hear. One of the few comics who had not one but two classic sitcoms.

Sidney Poitier-one of my favorite actors, great at quiet strength and dignity. I have given "10" ratings to "No Way Out", "To Sir With Love" and "A Patch Of Blue".

I would like to add:

Jon Voight- great actor that started off in good hearted naive good guys, later became a character villain. I gave "10" ratings to "Midnight Cowboy" and "Deliverance"

Ellen Bursytn-Actor's Studio graduate and one of the best."The Exorcist" and "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" are some great examples. She still has that brilliant acting ability as I found out when I saw her in a little seen indie called "Nostalgia" (2018)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I would like to add:

Jon Voight- great actor that started off in good hearted naive good guys, later became a character villain. I gave "10" ratings to "Midnight Cowboy" and "Deliverance"

Ellen Bursytn-Actor's Studio graduate and one of the best."The Exorcist" and "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" are some great examples. She still has that brilliant acting ability as I found out when I saw her in a little seen indie called "Nostalgia" (2018)

Yes, those two are worth mentioning. After my original post, Alan Alda came to mind. People tend to overlook the fact he's a good writer and not a bad director.

• Like 1

I'd like to add a lady's name who is almost always synonymous with a man's name: Marge Champion.

As I write this, she is 99 years old. She hardly ever gets mentioned unless it is along with her 2nd husband, the wonderful Gower Champion. But Marge has had an entire career outside of her partnership with her famous ex-husband. She has been an actress, choreographer, author and lecturer. In her mid 90's, she appeared in a documentary about the golden age of film.

• Like 1

Jill Clayburg? Donald Sutherland? Kris Kristofferson? Blythe Danner? Robert Duvall? Sam Neill? Leslie-Anne Down? Gary Busey? William Katt? Jan Michael Vincent? Veronica Cartwright? Victoria Principal?

Some of these luminaries may have passed on, I wouldn't know. You're probably aware of my opinion on 'obit' threads; they're such a drag.

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'd like to add a lady's name who is almost always synonymous with a man's name: Marge Champion.

As I write this, she is 99 years old. She hardly ever gets mentioned unless it is along with her 2nd husband, the wonderful Gower Champion. But Marge has had an entire career outside of her partnership with her famous ex-husband. She has been an actress, choreographer, author and lecturer. In her mid 90's, she appeared in a documentary about the golden age of film.

Thanks for mentioning her. She's someone who inspires others.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, TopBilled said:

It's a pet peeve of mine that we tend to forget so-and-so and only talk about so-and-so again when they die.

Great topic! I don't think anyone has mentioned Cloris Leachman, but I love her. She can be in serious roles and be totally believable but also play comedy better than anyone, no matter how outrageous.

If anyone has mentioned her, she deserves to be mentioned twice!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Great topic! I don't think anyone has mentioned Cloris Leachman, but I love her. She can be in serious roles and be totally believable but also play comedy better than anyone, no matter how outrageous.

If anyone has mentioned her, she deserves to be mentioned twice!

Thanks CG. Glad you mentioned Cloris Leachman.

Someone else who deserves recognition is Hal Holbrook. In 2017 he sat down and did a lengthy interview with the Television Academy Foundation.

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/hal-holbrook#interview-clips

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings