Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My favorite haunted house movie is "The House on Haunted Hill" mostly because the outside of that abode was a Frank Lloyd Wright building [but not the inside] and because it has Vincent Price in it and is a William Castle flick.

I will watch any film with a haunted house motif though, since they are always fun. Some might actually be a bit scary but most are just entertaining.

Now I stayed in a haunted house once, which was on the National Register, and kept hoping a ghost would appear. It had been listed by a realtor as having a ghost, which I guess is sometimes required in listings. In fact, when it was time to go to bed, I asked the owners if I could go downstairs with a flashlight and just walk around the whole joint which was built in 1820, trying to stir up some spirits, since I'm not afraid of anything but the Internal Revenu service and Celtic clogging performances. My friend who was staying in another room, kept whining at the top of the staircase begging me to come back upstairs cuz she was such a scaredy cat. What a wimp!

Why is it that on these shows about haunted places, the men who are in the show, as supposed "ghost hunters" always go off screaming like a seven-year old girl, if anything actually moves, or happens or they get an EVP supposed message? What a bunch of babies! I mean, if you say you are "looking for ghosts" why do you freak out if you have something odd happen? I wouldn't do that, and I am just a poor little frail female.

So embarrassing...but I am off topic now so please share your favorite haunted house or places movie, so I can watch more of them.

• Like 3

I surprisingly enjoyed the 1999 remake with Geoffrey Rush. 

The Legend of Hell House (1973) and The Haunting (1963) (its 1999 remake sucked though) are tops in my book. I gotta give a shout out to though to the Saltair Pavilion in Carnival of Souls (1962)

• Like 6

So many choices. Heck, even The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) is, technically, a haunted house movie.

My favorite is The Uninvited (1944) with Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Donald Crisp, Gail Russell and Cornelia Otis Skinner.

cigarjoe’s The Legend of Hell House (1973) is also on my short list. First haunted house movie I ever saw on the big screen.

• Like 3

Cigarjoe named the best two. But there are a few more that are fun:

The Uninvited

0a5233d5110dc0269881b591b1623bb6.jpg

13 Ghosts

13-ghosts-1960-monster-ben-martin-milner

The Changeling

the-changeling-1980-wheelchairs-are-scar

The Innocents

5951dbacadc03.image.jpg?resize=400,314

The Devil's Backbone (orphanage)

devils-backbone.jpg

The Others

nicole-kidman.png

The Innkeepers (hotel)

image-innkeep__index.jpg

Castle of Blood

02.jpg?w=600

The Shining (one of my favorites, but it's a hotel)

the_shining_back_600.jpg

• Like 6

Off the topic of haunted houses in the movies, I have a friend who believes in ghosts and has a pretty good ghost tale of a shared spooky experience that she had as a young girl with her sister in which she claimed to have not only repeatedly seen two of them but spoken to one of them, as well.

In any event one time when she was in my house she casually said that she had seen two partial entities in a room. I was rather casual about her news but when I asked her in which room she saw them was a little surprised by the room she reported. That's because there had once been a suicide in that room, a suicide I had never told her about. Coincidence? Well, if you don't believe in ghosts, it has to be. Still . . .

Later in that same day my friend saw me empyting the contents of a vacuum cleaner bag into the garbage. When she asked me why I was doing that I explained to her that it was the only bag I had for the vacuum cleaner and I had been doing this same thing for years. I also told her that I thought I had some extra bags for the cleaner but for several years had failed to find them. Thus, I was stuck doing this emptying out thing to save the one bag I had.

About an hour after we had this conversation a cupboard door swung open in front of my friend and a bag from it fell onto the floor in front of her. When she picked up the bag inside it she found the vacuum cleaner bags for which I had searched in vain off and on for several years.

ONE HOUR LATER!

Again, a coincidence? I guess it is. But what are the percentage odds of a coincidence like that occurring, a bag of vacuum cleaner bags I couldn't find literally falling at the feet of my "ghost detecting" friend right after I told her I had been looking for them? And on the same day she said she saw two partial entities in my home.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

It's a comedy, but The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) is always fun. 

Related image

When I was a kid, Knotts freaking out over the haunted organ was more scares than the '99 Haunting remake ever delivered.  😅

The Uninvited

0a5233d5110dc0269881b591b1623bb6.jpg

I'd also tuned in our local random New York station for the last ten minutes of Ray Milland's attempt at being Cary Grant, and spent years trying to find the whole thing again.  After thirty years, finally located it last month, on Criterion DVD at the library, and while....ehh, Val Lewton it's not (and distractingly has what the film experts call "subtext", for the villainous female doctor hiding the key secret), it's still creepy.  Supposedly was the first 40's film to actually take haunting lore seriously, after years of Scooby-Doo "Old Dark House" plots in the 30's, and that gives it a bit of heft.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I surprisingly enjoyed the 1999 remake with Geoffrey Rush. 

The Legend of Hell House (1973) and The Haunting (1963) (its 1999 remake sucked though) are tops in my book. I gotta give a shout out to though to the Saltair Pavilion in Carnival of Souls (1962)

Great choice on Saltair Pavilion. I recently saw Carnival of Souls and loved it. 

Haunted House movies are a very favorite genre of mine & agree with ALL the aforementioned. I can also add the fun 1939 comedy THE CAT & THE CANARY with fun Bob Hope & gorgeous Paulette Goddard

220px-Catcanaryposter.jpg

I don't believe in ghosts but live in a "haunted" house that scares everyone but me. I love your story Tom. Especially the part about re-using the vacuum bag for years, haha.

I used to live in the back portion of a museum, a big old factory building and heard noises all night. But put on a movie like Paranormal Activity and I have to sleep with the light on!

We're screening THE UNINVITED in our classic movie series this April. I like this one especially since it's a "real" ghost, not some cheat explanation at the end. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My favorites would have to be The Innocents (1961), Carnival of Souls (1962), The Haunting (1963), and The Shining (1980).  The original House on Haunted Hill is indeed a fun one though!

6c11fca0bb0ae648c009a3b7f99675dc.jpeg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Poltergeist (1982).  It's a bit over the top with its visual effects and doesn't have the quiet eeriness of the films listed above, but it's certainly a horror classic.

ghost_dog.jpg

I wouldn't rank The Uninvited as one of my all-time favorites.  I find the central focus on outsiders Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey distracting in the way that the honeymooning couple in Niagara draws attention away from the juicier Monroe/Cotten storyline.  However, I do love the scene in which Milland and Hussey first hear the ghostly weeping.  It's a moment of horror perfection, so creepy in execution, well acted, and with a palpable sense of sadness.  That scene really spooked me, but nothing else in the film measured up to it I'm afraid.

For something a little more outré , there's always this:

qSJsRYuddgUdKqcwTdI6fsk48KhXF7_large.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

We're screening THE UNINVITED in our classic movie series this April. I like this one especially since it's a "real" ghost, not some cheat explanation at the end. 

Do you recognize the ghost?

The+Uninvited+213459.jpg

I suspect it's character actress Elizabeth Russell.

img_5277.png?fit=1024,768&ssl=1

• Thanks 1

I've another strange story, possibly about the paranormal.

I once had some contractors working in the phone room in the basement of our company overnight when their work wouldn't disturb business. They were two contractors who took turns working on alternate nights between midnight and 6am.

One of them told me that on several occasions while he was working on wires on a cork board on the wall he thought he saw, through his peripheral vision, something "peak" at him from the door which was in a corner of the room to his left. Whenever he had that feeling he would glance at the door, see nothing, then continue with his work on the cork board.

When it happened yet again, though, he immediately ran to the door of the phone room. There was a small hallway in front of the door and the contractor told me he saw a fast moving blur in the air rounding the corner of that hallway and disappearing. When he then ran to that corner to look down a longer hallway he saw nothing.

The contractor told me this same thing happened to him on a number of occasions over several nights, a blurry motion in the air quickly rushing down the hallway after "peaking" into the phone room. When I asked the contractor if he was trying to say my company had a ghost he simply shook his head and said he didn't know what he had seen.

I suggested to him, of course, that it was the middle of the night, he was tired and his eyes were playing tricks on him. He disagreed, saying midnight to 6am were his regular working hours and had been for years but he had never seen anything like this blurry motion in the air anywhere else.

Here's the kicker: the contractor told me that when he mentioned this experience to his co-worker who was there on alternate nights the worker said he had had the same experience and that he, too, had ran to the door of the room only to see some kind of blurry distortion in the air rushing down the hallway.

1dfb7049757c53e089ffaeadeed63c8b.jpg

• Like 1
On 3/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, CaveGirl said:

My favorite haunted house movie is "The House on Haunted Hill" mostly because the outside of that abode was a Frank Lloyd Wright building [but not the inside] and because it has Vincent Price in it and is a William Castle flick.

I will watch any film with a haunted house motif though, since they are always fun. Some might actually be a bit scary but most are just entertaining.

Now I stayed in a haunted house once, which was on the National Register, and kept hoping a ghost would appear. It had been listed by a realtor as having a ghost, which I guess is sometimes required in listings. In fact, when it was time to go to bed, I asked the owners if I could go downstairs with a flashlight and just walk around the whole joint which was built in 1820, trying to stir up some spirits, since I'm not afraid of anything but the Internal Revenu service and Celtic clogging performances. My friend who was staying in another room, kept whining at the top of the staircase begging me to come back upstairs cuz she was such a scaredy cat. What a wimp!

Why is it that on these shows about haunted places, the men who are in the show, as supposed "ghost hunters" always go off screaming like a seven-year old girl, if anything actually moves, or happens or they get an EVP supposed message? What a bunch of babies! I mean, if you say you are "looking for ghosts" why do you freak out if you have something odd happen? I wouldn't do that, and I am just a poor little frail female.

So embarrassing...but I am off topic now so please share your favorite haunted house or places movie, so I can watch more of them.

Awesome topic, CaveGirl!! I worked in a film library when I was in high school. Extra credits and all that. I played receptionist and typed and filed... Talked to Dick Foran one day. I was 16 and completely flabbergasted. Anyway, one night, a projector screen crashed in one of the rooms. I mean it just fell over. I would come to work and file drawers were opened at random. My employer swore he did not open them. Pictures would just drop to the floor. It was really creepy, but I have always been a skeptic, not a believer in ghosts. Yet, to this day, I haven't been able to explain it. 

• Thanks 1

OMG!

What a cool story. I'm like you, Janet...very "skeptical" but open to any new findings.

Just have been enjoying a new show on the TRVL channel called "Paranormal" which you might like. They show volunteered personal footage from people all over the world about paranormal events. One of the best was shot in Cork, Ireland at a high school called Deerpark I think. It was footage shot after hours of lockers opening and chairs moving all around in hallways. Check it out and thanks for sharing, Janet!

One of my faves is THE SMILING GHOST (1941)

It stars Brenda Marshall (Mrs. William Holden) and the super (African-American) comic Willie Best, who was in hit after hit, including HIGH SIERRA, GREEN PASTURES, CABIN IN THE SKY, and TONS AND TONS of films in the 1930's and 1940's.

• Thanks 1

Since others here are sharing their personal paranormal encounters, I might as well share an experience I had in college.  I worked for a few semesters as grad assistant to three film professors, and I was in charge of evening film screenings.  After screenings, I had to lock the wireless projector control in the storage closet and then lock up the auditorium, so I was always the last one out and alone.  One evening, it occurred to me that I had never really looked inside the storage closet except to quickly place the control on the shelf and close the door.  So out of curiosity, I decided to take a gander inside to see what else was in there.  As I poked my head in, my blood ran cold as I saw a face, as real as any I had ever seen, staring back at me from just inside the closet.  And that was the night I discovered there was a mirror in the closet.

• Haha 3

An acquaintance of mine resides in a rural Pennsylvania restored farmhouse. Pennsylvania as you know, lots of Revolutionary war graveyards.

One night the husband and son are out and she is sitting up waiting for them, lounging on the sofa in the LV room watching TV. No one home except her.

Catastrophically loud CRASH from the kitchen. She rushes in to find the kitchen fridge completely toppled over onto its side. Huge heavy beast of a fridge; far heavier than this pipsqueak-size woman could ever budge.

They accept that they have an occasional poltergeist.

• Thanks 1

For some fun and laughs in this genre, Tim Burton's Beetlejuice supplies a whole lot of 'em I always thought.

Can't think of Belafonte's "Day-O" song anymore without also flashing back to this scene in the movie anyway...

• Haha 2