Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - William Shakespeare

Oyyy...#7 on my list of "Most painfully misquoted Shakespeare lines."  (Just above "To thine own self be true", two ranks under "First thing we do is kill off all the lawyers", and do not put a comma in "Wherefore art thou Romeo?" within ten miles of my presence. 😓 )

FTR, in the story, I'll assume you're using the correct context that Hamlet was giving his buddy a dig about his lack of worldly experience, and saying "More things than in YOUR philosophy..."

36 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Can't think of Belafonte's "Day-O" song anymore without also flashing back to this scene in the movie anyway.

I had the same experience myself, only with "Jump in the Line".

eb2f1f2b134cfc1349a364812fa87dd2.gif

(And with Warner now digging up every one of their 80's classics trying to find the "next" pop franchise to fill in a lack of Harry Potter, be prepared to get Beetlejuice nostalgia up to the eyeballs, over the next '19-'20....Like Willy Wonka and A Christmas Story, enjoy it now while you still CAN.)

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

An acquaintance of mine resides in a rural Pennsylvania restored farmhouse. Pennsylvania as you know, lots of Revolutionary war graveyards.

One night the husband and son are out and she is sitting up waiting for them, lounging on the sofa in the LV room watching TV. No one home except her.

Catastrophically loud CRASH from the kitchen. She rushes in to find the kitchen fridge completely toppled over onto its side. Huge heavy beast of a fridge; far heavier than this pipsqueak-size woman could ever budge.

They accept that they have an occasional poltergeist.

Maybe it's raccoons? :) :lol: 

I myself used to take up ghost-hunting as a hobby. Its a great activity; often took me to some very picturesque parts of the rural countryside. Crawled around many of those Rev War headstones myself. Went into subterranean holding-pens for Civil War prisoners; been in old penitentiaries and forts, mausoleums and Victorian cemeteries.

But Highgate Cemetery --far north of London --is the scariest cemetery I have ever seen. Its unnerving even in broad daylight. Karl Marx is buried there however, among other luminaries. So thither did I wend my steps.

Fun fact: Highgate is where Rod Stewart dug graves for drug money as a teen.

• Thanks 1
On 3/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, CaveGirl said:

Why is it that on these shows about haunted places, the men who are in the show, as supposed "ghost hunters" always go off screaming like a seven-year old girl, if anything actually moves, or happens or they get an EVP supposed message? What a bunch of babies! I mean, if you say you are "looking for ghosts" why do you freak out if you have something odd happen? I wouldn't do that, and I am just a poor little frail female.

13 Ghosts (1960) by William Castle

Why do you keep harping on the fact that you are female? Is someone questioning whether you are a male posing as a female on the internet?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Why do you keep harping on the fact that you are female? Is someone questioning whether you are a male posing as a female on the internet?

She's trying to woo the Sarge...

• Like 1
19 hours ago, TomJH said:

The contractor told me this same thing happened to him on a number of occasions over several nights, a blurry motion in the air quickly rushing down the hallway after "peaking" into the phone room.

I'll assume Otto changed your typed "peeking" to "peaking" with amusing results.

Why would a spirit haunt a "phone room"? Or a decommissioned prison, insane asylum, some random factory building? If I were a spirit, I'd find a better place to haunt, like the tropics or PNW. 

• Like 1

Assuming that a "spirit" CAN haunt anything, I'd also assume they'd haunt anything or where they WANT.

I mean, if they ARE ghosts, then what possible punishment do they face as a consequence?  ;) 

My only issue with the whole thing are "well dressed" ghosts, of ghosts that are clothed to begin with.

We have to assume that ghosts are ectoplasmic energy released upon a living being's death.  And as clothing ISN'T technically what would be considered "living beings", then HOW does the "spirit" of a DEAD BODY wind up FULLY CLOTHED?   :huh:  :rolleyes:

Is there a paranormal clothing chain called "Forever 30" or something they shop at?  And we too, would have to assume all the clothes are free because what DO ghosts do to earn money, and what do they USE for currency in the nether world?  :blink:

Inquiring minds want to know......

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'll assume Otto changed your typed "peeking" to "peaking" with amusing results.

Why would a spirit haunt a "phone room"? Or a decommissioned prison, insane asylum, some random factory building? If I were a spirit, I'd find a better place to haunt, like the tropics or PNW. 

Do you recall a poster called Thelma Todd who used to be on this message board quite often? She had made a study of the paranormal and said, I believe, that 3am or so is known as the "Hour of the Wolf" when many ghostly sightings are claimed to happen. As far as peeking into the room is concerned I assume that a ghost can be curious. The room door was open with the lights on while normally at that time all would have been dark in that part of the basement, aside from a few lit EXIT signs.

Some ghosts also don't have a choice, I understand, as to where they roam.

21 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

13 Ghosts (1960) by William Castle

Right again, Clouseau!

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Being that I love all things "Tiki" I would want to haunt the Tiki room at Graceland. I went to Memphis just to see all the Witco furniture and it was marvelous! I think there is even a waterfall there but I might have be confused because right as I was looking at the room behind the velvet ropes the tour guide was describing how the cook for Elvis made his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.  Too bad they weren't playing some Les Baxter or Yma Sumac along with songs from "Blue Hawaii". Tiki wahine ghosts would seem to be quite appealing as a haunting figure in a home.

I agree with TikiSoo that haunting an empty factory seems like a thankless task for the dead.

23 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oyyy...#7 on my list of "Most painfully misquoted Shakespeare lines."  (Just above "To thine own self be true", two ranks under "First thing we do is kill off all the lawyers", and do not put a comma in "Wherefore art thou Romeo?" within ten miles of my presence. 😓 )

FTR, in the story, I'll assume you're using the correct context that Hamlet was giving his buddy a dig about his lack of worldly experience, and saying "More things than in YOUR philosophy..."

I had the same experience myself, only with "Jump in the Line".

eb2f1f2b134cfc1349a364812fa87dd2.gif

(And with Warner now digging up every one of their 80's classics trying to find the "next" pop franchise to fill in a lack of Harry Potter, be prepared to get Beetlejuice nostalgia up to the eyeballs, over the next '19-'20....Like Willy Wonka and A Christmas Story, enjoy it now while you still CAN.)

Thanks for always being here to correct people, Eric!

20 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

She's trying to woo the Sarge...

Sarge is dreamy, CigarJoe but then you are too!

And I will say only you seem to have the guts to post a real live living photo of your handsome mug.

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Assuming that a "spirit" CAN haunt anything, I'd also assume they'd haunt anything or where they WANT.

I mean, if they ARE ghosts, then what possible punishment do they face as a consequence?  ;) 

My only issue with the whole thing are "well dressed" ghosts, of ghosts that are clothed to begin with.

We have to assume that ghosts are ectoplasmic energy released upon a living being's death.  And as clothing ISN'T technically what would be considered "living beings", then HOW does the "spirit" of a DEAD BODY wind up FULLY CLOTHED?   :huh:  :rolleyes:

Is there a paranormal clothing chain called "Forever 30" or something they shop at?  And we too, would have to assume all the clothes are free because what DO ghosts do to earn money, and what do they USE for currency in the nether world?  :blink:

Inquiring minds want to know......

Sepiatone

Thanks for the very impressive "ectoplasmic" contribution to my thread, Sepia.

For me, I'd prefer to have a ghost dog, like Neil, the St. Bernard, who was in the "Topper" series. Hopefully his supply of liquor on his collar would be visible at all times?

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, TomJH said:

Do you recall a poster called Thelma Todd who used to be on this message board quite often? She had made a study of the paranormal and said, I believe, that 3am or so is known as the "Hour of the Wolf" when many ghostly sightings are claimed to happen. 

Of course I remember that poster here-translated some Hungarian for me! I too was part of paranormal studies in my college years.

21 hours ago, TomJH said:

As far as peeking into the room is concerned I assume that a ghost can be curious. The room door was open with the lights on while normally at that time all would have been dark in that part of the basement, aside from a few lit EXIT signs.

You're assuming ghosts "see" with their eyes optically using physical light like a living person. Wouldn't a spirit be able to "watch" whatever it wanted hovering from anywhere? Why would it be bounded by a door? 

I find the idea of a spirit inhabiting a body much scarier a concept than just wandering around. I really like how that was dramatically depicted in 1990's movie GHOST and hilariously in 1984's ALL OF ME.

Remember, I'm a tapophile and hang around cemeteries a LOT. Last fall our car broke down deep in an old historic cemetery in Richmond VA. Waiting for the AAA truck to come, we were locked in about 2 hours in pitch darkness. Everyone else sat in the car and I wandered around alone, taking lots of photos. I saw & heard nothing, although all the solar powered grave decorations were glowing eerily.

• 3 weeks later...

in Jersey City, there's a popular EDM night club where, some years ago, a young man stabbed his girlfriend. The reason this otherwise forgettable club and this otherwise forgettable incident is still kept alive in local gossip is that numerous patrons to the club, continue to report that they constantly see this dead brunette waiting in line in the hallway outside the lavatories. That is, she stands outside the lav as if in a line of people even though she's the only figure waiting there. If you approach too close she suddenly steps into the bathroom and closes the door.

20 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

in Jersey City, there's a popular EDM night club where, some years ago, a young man stabbed his girlfriend. The reason this otherwise forgettable club and this otherwise forgettable incident is still kept alive in local gossip is that numerous patrons to the club, continue to report that they constantly see this dead brunette waiting in line in the hallway outside the lavatories. That is, she stands outside the lav as if in a line of people even though she's the only figure waiting there. If you approach too close she suddenly steps into the bathroom and closes the door.

Have you ever visited the place? Do you believe in the ghost? I would assume a "scientific" person like you is very skeptical of the paranormal. 

Plus, how many nights would one have to spend listening to really bad music on the off-chance of seeing her?

...but to answer your question yes I rather do believe in ghosts. I even used to be a PNR ghost hunter, as I said above.

I'm not scientific at all; in fact I despise and loathe the scientific community. While I very much admire logic, Reason, and rationality, even more than that I admire people who lead spiritual lives and lives of feeling. It's feeling and heart which will save us, not more science.

Scientists are mostly myopic and unprincipled, they'll kiss any pair of buttocks if only you give them some more grant funding. (Need more neutron bombs? Can do!)

Bob Hope's THE GHOST BREAKERS features a haunted castle. The film has great set design, sumptuous black and white photography and an eerie musical score. The castle scenes seriously compete with similar scenes in straight horror films.

Ghost_Breakers_Castle_Pic.jpg

As a kid the zombie in Ghost Breakers scared the living bejesus out of me and still gives me a strong case of the willies.

N6lA-SoeSFuM-RK1i9RmNrD7dag6XUZB2nr0c1w_

The+Ghost+Breakers+11,+Zombies,+love+tha

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Bob Hope's THE GHOST BREAKERS features a haunted castle. The film has great set design, sumptuous black and white photography and an eerie musical score. The castle scenes seriously compete with similar scenes in straight horror films.

As a kid the zombie in Ghost Breakers scared the living bejesus out of me and still gives me a strong case of the willies.

How could I have neglected to mention this one? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember really enjoying this one (as well as Hope's "Cat and the Canary"). Thanks for bringing this one up; now I'm in the mood to re-watch it :) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Okay Tom. Play along here.

"Maybe you know what a zombie is."

Now, YOUR line is what Richard Carlson then tells Bob. Go ahead, say it, and then I'LL do the punchline!

;)

(...sorry, but I've always loved this bit in this flick, and even though in my case it's self-deprecating)

58 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay Tom. Play along here.

"Maybe you know what a zombie is."

Now, YOUR line is what Richard Carlson then tells Bob. Go ahead, say it, and then I'LL do the punchline!

;)

(...sorry, but I've always loved this bit in this flick, and even though in my case it's self-deprecating)

Richard Carlson: "A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring."

Over to you, Bob, err Dargo . . .

K5OfJwQ.png