Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sad News: Former TCM Substitute Host, TCM Film Festival and Cruise Celebrity Alex Trebek diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

cinecrazydc

500978601_ScreenHunter_6047Mar_0715_48.jpg.16aea171f87ebda36d83d39c3858ea12.jpg

I fondly remember Alex from when he substituted for Robert during the latter's illness, from the 2013 TCM Classic Cruise and from his introductions to a number of movies at the festival, including Apollo 13 and Zulu.  He also introduced How Green Was My Valley on the cruise, which is the first time that I had seen it. He is an American icon (although born in Canada).  I certainly hope he can beat this, although the odds are very much stacked against him.  I'm sure we all wish him well.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

Sad news indeed!

It was Trebek who masterfully set up Robert Osborne for a big surprise at the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival. Osborne thought he would be participating in a question-and-answer session with the audience at The Ricardo Montalban Theater in Hollywood. The veteran Turner Classic Movies host also thought that Trebek was there as a moderator.

Actually, the event was a celebration of Osborne's 20 years at TCM -- and Trebek served as the emcee who brought onstage numerous friends and relatives of the longtime host. Trebek also introduced filmed segments featuring Osborne's friends who weren't able to attend the tribute.

"They really got me," Osborne said.

Robert Osborne and Alex Trebek in Robert Osborne's 20th Anniversary Tribute (2015)

• Like 3

That is disturbing.  I wish him well, and hope the fight goes better for him than it did my stepsister, who died of pancreatic cancer six years ago.

And not long ago, he went through that blood clot issue in his brain. 

Sepiatone

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Not to add any doom and/or gloom here, but Jeopardy without Trebek will be like TCM without Osborne.

(...filling their shoes will always be next to impossible)

I'm sure people said the same thing when Trebek took over the syndicated version of "Jeopardy!" after Art Fleming had hosted previous incarnations of the game show.

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

I'm sure people said the same thing when Trebek took over the syndicated version of "Jeopardy!" after Art Fleming had hosted previous incarnations of the game show.

That's probably true jakeem, but it seems to me that program hosts with what might best be described as an "avuncular personality" are getting harder and harder to find now days. And, a quality that Fleming and Osborne had and Trebek has, in spades.

And no slight intended to Mankiewicz, et al here, but I'd say none of the present TCM hosts possess much of that quality.

Nope, it's like that whole thing seems to have gone out of style now days, unfortunately.

(...if ya know what I mean)

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

That's probably true jakeem, but it seems to me that program hosts with what might best be described as an "avuncular personality" are getting harder and harder to find now days. And, a quality that Fleming and Osborne had and Trebek has, in spades.

And no slight intended to Mankiewicz, et al here, but I'd say none of the present TCM hosts possess much of that quality.

Nope, it's like that whole thing seems to have gone out of style now days, unfortunately.

And yet the beat goes on. Bob Barker leaves "The Price Is Right" and Drew Carey takes over. David Letterman exits "The Late Show" and is succeeded by Stephen Colbert. Charles Osgood retires from "CBS Sunday Morning" and Jane Pauley enters the picture.

There will always be another.

Image result for charles osgood jane pauley

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

And yet the beat goes on. Bob Barker leaves "The Price Is Right" and Drew Carey takes over. David Letterman exits "The Late Show" and is succeeded by Stephen Colbert. Charles Osgood retires from "CBS Sunday Morning" and Jane Pauley enters the picture.

There will always be another.

Image result for charles osgood jane pauley

Good point. I do have to admit Jane Pauley has been a great replacement for the "avuncular" Charles Osgood on CBS Sunday Morning.

And so maybe you're right after all here.

(...hopefully, anyway)

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good point. I do have to admit Jane Pauley has been a great replacement for the "avuncular" Charles Osgood on CBS Sunday Morning.

And so maybe you're right after all here.

(...hopefully, anyway)

What's the female version of avuncular? 

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

What's the female version of avuncular? 

LOL

Good question. That word seems to mostly be associated with being some sort of likable uncle figure, doesn't it.

(...I don't know if there's a different and gender specific word for a likable aunt figure)

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Good question. That word seems to mostly be associated with being some sort of likable uncle figure, doesn't it.

(...I don't know if there's a different and gender specific word for a likable aunt figure)

I looked it up and it's awful: materteral.

But it's worth 12 Scrabble points!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

i was one of those who bemoaned Art Flemming being replaced by Alex Trebek . however , over the years it seems as if no one else could be in that role. Alex Trebek was perfect and grew into avuncular over the years. i quickly learned to appreciate his skills and wisdom.

I used to run home during my lunch break to watch the mid day(11:30am to noon) in my NYC area to catch Art Flemming and contestants. i didn't need to be enticed by the few big winners on making the week undefeated or the tournament of champions tournaments. I was a fan from day one. i even considered trying to get on the show  in the original version pre syndication. i will miss Alex Trebek ,even on the life insurance commercials. not to bury him before he is dead here but, stage 4 pancreatic cancer is a tough one to beat. I wish him all the luck and possibly be one of the few percent who make 5yrs after this advanced a diagnosis. this post is the first i heard this so don't know whether it is stage 4 metastatic or if it is contained. i do wish him all the best

jd

• Like 2

On 3/9/2019 at 2:11 AM, Dargo said:

It could be as Sting suggests in one song("If I Ever Lose My Faith In You") that the ones best qualified as "game show hosts" are in politics now!  ;)

Anyway....

JEOPARDY is the kind of "game show" that calls for a host that does transcend the typical game show host's appeal.  Unlike FAMILY FEUD, who IMHO only had one host I didn't like that much, and not enough to keep me from tuning in,  JEOPARDY can sink or swim, depending on who gets the spot.

Sepiatone

22 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

JEOPARDY is the kind of "game show" that calls for a host that does transcend the typical game show host's appeal.  Unlike FAMILY FEUD, who IMHO only had one host I didn't like that much, and not enough to keep me from tuning in,  JEOPARDY can sink or swim, depending on who gets the spot.

Watson, the IBM supercomputer that clobbered some of the best-ever "Jeopardy!" champions (including Ken Jennings), could host the show and it would continue to do well. It's the quality of the game that counts.

Related image

Nah.  As clever as the IBM guys are, and the advancements in computer technology, I don't think they could program Alex's sharp, dry with into Watson.  And too, since I'm NOT one who let technology take over most aspects of my life, I'd hate to see an actual HUMAN lose a job to that sort of thing.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Nah.  As clever as the IBM guys are, and the advancements in computer technology, I don't think they could program Alex's sharp, dry with into Watson.  And too, since I'm NOT one who let technology take over most aspects of my life, I'd hate to see an actual HUMAN lose a job to that sort of thing.

It appears you're underestimating Watson. Ya gotta love a supercomputer that can say, "Lets finish 'Chicks Dig Me'." 

reach-for-the-top-host-alex-trebek.jpg

Alex had a show that was taped in Toronto and around Canada in the late sixties, early seventies called Reach For the Top.  It's premise was to have 4 kids from a high school pitted against another high school in a game of general knowledge.  And they toured and taped the show in various high school auditoriums.  They had regional and then national finals.

trivia-reach.jpg?w=440

The show came to our school one year and I was in the auditorium for the taping.  Alex was a true professional but sadly his studio audience was not.  There was lots of unruly kids shouting out answers and Alex politely asked them not to do so.  During the commercial breaks young Alex 'lost it' and took on the kids threatening to clear the auditorium.  

Not so many years later I saw Eugene Levy portray Alex Trebel in several 'High Q' SCTV skits.  I thought one of the cast members of SCTV must have either been on the show or watched a taping live because when Levy gets frustrated and loses his cool it wasn't that far from what I had seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings