Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I don't know if I'd call Psycho a stalker movie, Marion Crane came to the motel on her own.

So THEN CJ, are you attempting to say that she DESERVED the fate she got???!!!!

(...jus' kiddin', o' course) ;)

• Haha 1

One of the creepiest stalker films and books for me was John Fowles The Collector. I read the book first  then saw the film when I was a teenager. Both the book and film were so disturbing and frightening. Samantha Eggar and Terence Stamp were both excellent. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, Michael Rennie said:

Sorry CaveGirl. I just couldn't resist. Don't believe Una O'Conner was unattractive. I know of two versions of "You Don't Bring Me Flowers." I won't go there. There is the obvious one with Barbra and Neil and a Country version.

If you want a fun laugh, look for this title on YouTube: The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: You Don't Bring Me Flowers

Not wanting to be a Matchmaker, I could say, you would not have to ask LawrenceA twice to watch a movie. Am I right? He seems a very genuine sort of chap.

I must ask just one thing. Movies about those who Stalk. Would you consider a film with Britney "Spears?"

You originally said: "Of course, it helps if he is amusing and has a good personality and brain also."

Would you settle for 2 out of 3?

Love that song and I could qualify since I CAN cook!

Actually I love Una, as she was hilarious in BOF with her little shrieking sounds and how she glides around rooms, but she is also a great actress being from the Abbey Theatre and all. I still think Dargo would not be dating her though, since he tends to be somewhat superficial in spite of all his other fine qualities, and only likes girls like Ava and Yvonne Craig, ya know.

I think your song picking is superlative, but not as sure about your matchmaking skills.

Speaking of fun laughs in music, my favorite album is the "Louie Louie" compilation with Black Flag and even the USC Marching Band versions, so I shall look of the Ukelele Orchestra title.

Name your two out of three, before considering consummation.

P.S. Yes, to the Britney query.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, DVDPhreak said:

A good source of info are the testimonials of stalking victims posted on social media, such as the one from this journalist, to name just one.  A total stranger who saw you online could do things that make you fear for your life.  Many of these accounts are from well-known and/or attractive and/or young people, but in fact ANYONE is susceptible to this kind of thing if you make yourself vulnerable to it.

Yes, the internet has stalkers too who one would expect each website to protect. Thanks for the info!

23 hours ago, DVDPhreak said:

A good source of info are the testimonials of stalking victims posted on social media, such as the one from this journalist, to name just one.  A total stranger who saw you online could do things that make you fear for your life.  Many of these accounts are from well-known and/or attractive and/or young people, but in fact ANYONE is susceptible to this kind of thing if you make yourself vulnerable to it.

Thank you for your insights on this topic.

I so agree that mayhaps an online stalker can be even more dangerous than someone offline. One would hope that any website that has posters, would have the integrity to protect posters from having to deal with posters who continually harass others. I

Knowing how long it would take for one to get any results from administration on a poster who is being a constant problem, one would hope that the site would give posters a Block button to just eliminate the threat immediately with no need for further argumentation on the site.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

One of the creepiest stalker films and books for me was John Fowles The Collector. I read the book first  then saw the film when I was a teenager. Both the book and film were so disturbing and frightening. Samantha Eggar and Terence Stamp were both excellent. 

You are so right, lavenderblue, and I'd forgotten that film though it was so great.

Stamp is a true stalker, since he thinks he can win over Eggar, just by force of will, now that he has some money, and when her life is ended, he just goes on to another possible victim, like many stalkers in real life do.

I too read the book after seeing the film, and the book is excellent also. Thank you!

On 3/11/2019 at 4:15 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Aye. Thanks. Well to clarify, naturally I'm not eliminating the factor of unattractiveness. Or 'disaffection'. Sexuality, animalism, etc. But from among a field of uniformly attractive men who usually court an eligible female, this principle I'm asserting (economics governing long-term unions) seems supportable. Goes all the way back to Jane Austen, and that era when mothers began instructing their daughters that they 'may just as well fall in love with a rich man as a poor one'. That was just after the commercial change that came over Europe and just prior to the Industrial Revolution. Whereas in pre-modern Europe, peasant marriages were likely practical and pragmatic--anything but romantic.

And of course, I didn't mean to be someone who doesn't get that you are making a generalization which has a lot of truth to it, Sarge...that I should be taking personally.

Your historic view of such matches, and how women often choose their spouses is dead on. Thanks for a scholarly overview!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Read the book don't remember if I saw the film.

• Thanks 1
On 3/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, CaveGirl said:

I once had a co-worker who kept asking me out and sending flowers, and when I finally said I really thought we had nothing in common, he stated quite firmly "Well I will continue sending you flowers if I want and I have the right to continue to keep asking you out also as long as I want." He would leave creepy cards on my desk and on my car windshield and it only stopped after he lost his job due to a layofff."

Image result for that's your story and you're sticking to it images

• Haha 1

author John Fowles excelled in novels of obsession ('The Magus', 'The Collector', 'The Ebony Tower', 'the French Lieutenant's Woman'). The movie adaptations are of wildly uneven quality. But I personally was fascinated by seeing Lawrence Olivier with a nude, lissome, Greta Scachi ('Ebony Tower')

Codicil: I can't take credit for any anthropological expertise when I air my opinions--I merely favor the ideas of Frederich Engels, who in turn drew his ideas on marriage from one of the founders of modern anthropology, Lewis Morgan, who himself famously surveyed the family traditions of the fearsome Iroquois Empire. People keep saying that anthropology has surpassed these landmark studies ...but you can't prove that by me.

• Thanks 1
On 3/15/2019 at 10:14 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

author John Fowles excelled in novels of obsession ('The Magus', 'The Collector', 'The Ebony Tower', 'the French Lieutenant's Woman'). The movie adaptations are of wildly uneven quality. But I personally was fascinated by seeing Lawrence Olivier with a nude, lissome, Greta Scachi ('Ebony Tower')

Codicil: I can't take credit for any anthropological expertise when I air my opinions--I merely favor the ideas of Frederich Engels, who in turn drew his ideas on marriage from one of the founders of modern anthropology, Lewis Morgan, who himself famously surveyed the family traditions of the fearsome Iroquois Empire. People keep saying that anthropology has surpassed these landmark studies ...but you can't prove that by me.

I also find that not much has changed since Sir James Frazer wrote "The Golden Bough" in terms of the  behaviour of earthlings, Sgt. Markoff.

• Like 1

Aye, well I agree that practical techniques like data collection (especially field data) have altered since Frazier; and there's better understanding of scientific methodologies, testing, better understanding of bias. But the social sciences have resisted (as many predicted) becoming as laboratory-like as the hard sciences, and for good reason. Human social life can't be contained or measured in the same manner. Yes, Frazier still has much usefulness.

It's just that every few generations, fresh practitioners like to pat themselves on the back and compliment themselves on 'all the progress they've made' (when the truth is, they haven't really made all that much difference). The pith of what Frazier and Engels and Morgan did, the broad premise behind the conclusions they proposed, still stands.

And as is happening in all the sciences, the 'law of diminishing returns' is coming to the fore; in the sense that less and less ground-breaking discoveries are possible any more. Thus, the pointlessness and triviality of the bombastic computer industry (excelling in filling up our leisure time, yawn) and internal ego-stroking within fields like anthropology.

The only innovation in the social sciences lately (as far as I can see) is not advancement at all, but a caving-in to the PC police. Like everyone else is doing lately. If they fail to resist this absurd counter-bias the social sciences will become truly worthless.

"Going with the flow" (people seem to forget this now that we are constantly surrounded by others) has never been the mark of strong character.

• Thanks 1
On 3/15/2019 at 10:15 AM, CaveGirl said:

Love that song and I could qualify since I CAN cook!

Actually I love Una, as she was hilarious in BOF with her little shrieking sounds and how she glides around rooms, but she is also a great actress being from the Abbey Theatre and all. I still think Dargo would not be dating her though, since he tends to be somewhat superficial in spite of all his other fine qualities, and only likes girls like Ava and Yvonne Craig, ya know.

I think your song picking is superlative, but not as sure about your matchmaking skills.

Speaking of fun laughs in music, my favorite album is the "Louie Louie" compilation with Black Flag and even the USC Marching Band versions, so I shall look of the Ukelele Orchestra title.

Name your two out of three, before considering consummation.

P.S. Yes, to the Britney query.

I love Doris Day, and this movie was recently on TCM.

I started laughing as it made me think of this thread.

I didn't see your reply until now. The forum missed alerting me.

I'll bet you can sing, "I Feel Pretty."

• Like 1
On 3/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, Michael Rennie said:

I love Doris Day, and this movie was recently on TCM.

I started laughing as it made me think of this thread.

I didn't see your reply until now. The forum missed alerting me.

I'll bet you can sing, "I Feel Pretty."

I love that movie and particularly Jack Carson!

I cannot sing "IFP" but did see Johnny Mathis in concert once, where he sang all the songs from "WSS", and I was waiting for that one also, but he did not sing it. I do think it would have been fitting though as he is kind of pretty.