Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DETOUR (1945) on Movies! channel---an "edit"!

papyrusbeetle

Tom Neal, gorgeous, doomed hunk who stars in DETOUR, is offered a free dinner by the driver (Edmund MacDonald) he has "hitched" with on his way to L.A.

"That's sure white of you, mister" he says.

This line is fuzzed out in the Movies! channel broadcast. Perhaps he is saying "nice"?

Anyway, I don't know why they have to mess around with the "Noir of all Noirs", Edgar Ulmer's low-budget masterpiece.

Any opinions?

Should Movies! channel weep in shame?

Or just wait for the cops to pull them over?

14 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Tom Neal, gorgeous, doomed hunk who stars in DETOUR, is offered a free dinner by the driver (Edmund MacDonald) he has "hitched" with on his way to L.A.

This line is fuzzed out in the Movies! channel broadcast. Perhaps he is saying "nice"?

Anyway, I don't know why they have to mess around with the "Noir of all Noirs", Edgar Ulmer's low-budget masterpiece.

Any opinions?

Movies-TV also censored out the top half of an Italian statue of a nude women in the noir The Dark Corner.    Note that this was allowed by the Production Code back in 1946 to be shown in theaters but in the 21 century it has to be censored because MOVIES-TV is an over-the-air (non-cable), network????

Insane. 

1 hour ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Any opinions?

Do you think they will soon have to take all the black blotches out of the drawings of milk bottles, in the Baltimore Catechism, that represent mortal sins?

This is a joke in case any complaint posts come in asap.

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Movies-TV also censored out the top half of an Italian statue of a nude women in the noir The Dark Corner.    Note that this was allowed by the Production Code back in 1946 to be shown in theaters but in the 21 century it has to be censored because MOVIES-TV is an over-the-air (non-cable), network????

Insane.

I saw the last part of All That Jazz (1979) on Movies-TV. There were so many digitally blurred breasts and bleeped obscenities that it seemed almost pointless. But yes, as an OTA channel, they are subject to FCC regulation.

23 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Any opinions?

I think you need to get more going on in your life.

Or:

If that's the worst you can find wrong, then I feel good about the future.

Or:

If you're so in love with this move why don't you watch it on your own blu-ray disc, rather than on a channel where you're going to see a poor third- or fourth-generation print? .

On 3/8/2019 at 11:39 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Insane. 

The FCC wasn't handing out half million dollar fines back in 1946. They're just being careful.

13 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

The FCC wasn't handing out half million dollar fines back in 1946. They're just being careful.

Not sure I'm following you.   (and I don't know who you mean by 'they're',  but I assume the owners of MOVIES-TV?).   Anyhow: 

Are you saying that back in 1946 there was less censorship?   (i.e. there were NOT major fines 'back then' but there are now?).

While over-the-air stations have more content restrictions then cable stations,  I don't believe MOVIES-TV removed the breast from a work of art from a 1946 film because they were being careful to ensure they were following FCC 'guidelines'.      (the same with removing 'very white of you' or the 'N' word etc....).      

So that is what I'm confused about;  if it isn't to comply with FCC guidelines,  who are they (MOVIES-TV) trying to please?     E.g. would mid-west \ southern (conservative),  service providers refuse to broadcast MOVIES-TV if they didn't block-out such content?   

13 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I saw the last part of All That Jazz (1979) on Movies-TV. There were so many digitally blurred breasts and bleeped obscenities that it seemed almost pointless. But yes, as an OTA channel, they are subject to FCC regulation.

But as I just posted I don't believe FCC regulations require the removal of breast from a work of art.  A view of breast on a statue that didn't violate the Production Code that was in place in the 40s.  

Yea,  actual women's breast,  I understand,  but not breast on a work of art.   

4 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

People were generally less offended in those days for various reasons. Sometimes its best to stay on the safe side. People get upset over the most minor things these days.

$500,000 is still a lot of money in any era.

So you disagree with MovieCollector when he says "It wouldn't be due to FCC regulations."? 

Again,  I don't think current FCC over-the-air regulations require one to block out breast on a work of art.   

So again,  WHO are they (MOVIES-TV) playing it safe for?   It isn't the FCC.  

(as for removing a phase like 'mighty white of you',  I can see them removing this due to concerns about a boycott from over-sensitive activist).

The FCC isn't clear on what they find obscene. So there is no way to straddle the line because there is no line. If the FCC was taken to court over freedom of speech, they would lose. But, no corporation will go that route for political reasons. 

Its much cheaper to simply block out and censor whatever could be a problem.

To be clear, I was just responding to the OP, ruling that part out.  FCC violations are a technicality (not to be confused with cultural/ethnic/religious/moral political interpretation or other foolishness).  It is like a cop issuing a speeding ticket, he isn't going to care that anyone else around you was speeding, or why you were speeding.  The word White isn't going to get you noticed by the FCC.

Now the rest is probably just a matter of self-restraint on the network's part.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings