Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Narcissistic Blowhards

NB's are in such abundance, as the Beatles might say, here, there and everywhere...and oh, yes, in movies too!

It might seem discriminatory to say this category is usually more based on male figures but it seems to be, though I've known some female blowhards in my time. One of my faves is actor, Raymond Walburn but he is not even close to being as much of a blowhard as some I've met in real life.

I prognosticate that this topic will produce some fine examples, so thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Yes, but Lynn Belvedere was a completely lovable narcissistic blowhard.

I think almost all the characters that Clifton Webb portrayed were narcissists. Some more likable (lovable?) than others.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Yes, but Lynn Belvedere was a completely lovable narcissistic blowhard.

Webb played many narcissistic blowhards in many films;  Laura,  The Dark Corner,  and The Razor's Edge being just some of them.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Would JOSEPH SCHILDKRAUT's  Ferencz Vadas  from "The Shop Around The Corner" fit the bill?  :huh:

Sepiatone

Actually Sepia, I'm thinking Schildkraut's character in that film might better fall into the category of the brown-nosing little back-stabbing snake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Gale Gordon patented this kind of character on several classic sitcoms.

screen-shot-2019-03-10-at-10.25.09-am.jp

Including The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy.

screen-shot-2019-03-10-at-10.23.56-am.jp

On television I knew Gale Gordon as simply the worst principal anyone could ever have in a school on the TV show"Our Miss Brooks". 

Mr Conklin was a boss that you could only survive if you were assertive, creative, and extremely sarcastic. He was invented for Eve Arden.

Lucy, I believe, had him first on radio with "My Favorite Wife". But Eve Arden  got him first on TV. I always thought Miss Arden handled him better too.

• Thanks 2

In the comic vein, Paul Ford could often quite creditably play this type.

As just one example, here he is as the mayor of River City...

5887-13201.jpg

(...and, in more the dramatic vein, Edward Arnold was also often quite good in these kinds of roles, and usually with more the malevolent bent to them)

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

On television I knew Gale Gordon as simply the worst principal anyone could ever have in a school on the TV show"Our Miss Brooks". 

Mr Conklin was a boss that you could only survive if you were assertive, creative, and extremely sarcastic. He was invented for Eve Arden.

Lucy, I believe, had him first on radio with "My Favorite Wife". But Eve Arden  got him first on TV. I always thought Miss Arden handled him better too.

In some articles I have read, Gale Gordon's been described as the master of the slow burn. He became a bit more avuncular on Here's Lucy because though he was still playing Lucy's boss, he was also her brother-in-law and the uncle to her kids. So we saw a softer side to him in the domestic scenes. 

Basically Gordon assumed the patriarchal role on Lucy's sitcoms, since a husband was no longer around. Despite the fact that everyone knew Lucille Ball had married Gary Morton (who sometimes had minor roles on episodes of her shows), the public still wasn't able to accept anyone else but Desi Arnaz playing her husband on screen. So Gale Gordon stepped in and ended up doing a more blustery version of what Desi had done in the first sitcom.

• Like 1

Nice to see above, the mention of Gale Gordon and that photo of him, as well. Gordon was one of the busiest radio actors of his day before the advent of television. He was a recurring character, ('Mayor LeTrivia') on 'Fibber McGee and Molly', which was perhaps the #1 radio comedy from the 30s until shortly after the War. Frequently in that program, he ably carries out Abbott-&-Costello-style, rapid-fire wordplay skits always ending in colossal, spluttering, teeth-gnashing meltdowns. But he had a knack for a lot more types of performance than many might assume from seeing him as a stout, balding, very-much-older bank manager in the Lucy series. In the early 1930s, he was actually one of the most fiendish radio villains of all time--a combination of The Merciless Ming, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, and FuManchu--in an adolescent air-ace adventure serial called, 'Speed Gibson'. You'd never guess it, because his voice-work there is nothing, nothing, nothing at all similar to his comedy work. His deep baritone lent itself marvelously to a megalomaniac crime lord known only as 'The Octopus'. [The face of the Octopus has never been seen, not even by his closest henchman! Yet, his tentacles encircle the free world!]

Here he is as a young man

Gale_Gordon-3.JPG

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, hamradio said:

This thread is about MOVIE characters.  So Trump appears for half a minute giving directions and that conclusion is drawn? :blink::wacko:

CaveGirl's instructions are not that specific. She does not say movie characters. Trump was the very first name that came to my mind. Unlike other presidents, Trump is a terrible actor.

37 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

CaveGirl's instructions are not that specific. She does not say movie characters. Trump was the very first name that came to my mind. Unlike other presidents, Trump is a terrible actor.

Politics belongs in the Off Topic Forum. Trump had very small cameo appearances in films. - hard to judge acting talent from them.

Some are overwhelmed by his presence. :lol: