Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Narcissistic Blowhards

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

On television I knew Gale Gordon as simply the worst principal anyone could ever have in a school on the TV show"Our Miss Brooks". 

Mr Conklin was a boss that you could only survive if you were assertive, creative, and extremely sarcastic. He was invented for Eve Arden.

Gordon also played Principal Conklin on the radio version, and even offscreen, his pompous sense of timing--usually when Conklin had a delayed-reaction lag for processing bad news--was note-perfect:

In one radio episode, Arden's Miss Brooks has to smuggle the biologist's pet frog out of the lab, is caught in the office as Conklin returns, and tries to hide it in the filing cabinet ("Let's see, does Bullfrog go under B or F?")  And when Conklin returns and tries to look up a file:

"Let's see:  One letter from Boys Town...My old Beaver Patrol badge...A communication from the Board...(ribbit!) One frog...An invitation to the Elks barbecue...Another notice of a Board meeting...A letter fro--ONE FROG?????"

:D

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Politics belongs in the Off Topic Forum. Trump had very small cameo appearances in films. - hard to judge acting talent from them.

Some are overwhelmed by his presence. :lol:

Particularly women he will pay off later.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Politics belongs in the Off Topic Forum. Trump had very small cameo appearances in films. - hard to judge acting talent from them.

Some are overwhelmed by his presence. :lol:

There's always a certain category of person who is overwhelmed by anyone who they think is wealthy or is presumed to be wealthy.

Overwhelmed and sometimes Hoodwinked as well...LOL

Yep. In the radio version of 'Our Miss Brooks' Gordon was arguably the comedy lead. Arden's delivery --for the most part--consisted of tart replies. Gordon alternately bellowed, jabbered, roared, or emitted blood-curdling threats through pursed lips and clenched-teeth.

What's amazing to me is that the cast also features early vaudeville star Jane Morgan as Arden's landlady; Jeff Chandler as biology teacher Mr. Boynton, and a young Richard Crenna as a clumsy high school youth. I really don't know how Crenna did the squeaky voice of a the teen he portrayed.

Jane-Morgan02jpg.JPG

220px-Jeff_Chandler_-_1958.jpg

25777186-l.jpg

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yep. In the radio version of 'Our Miss Brooks' Gordon was arguably the comedy lead. Arden's delivery --for the most part--consisted of tart replies. Gordon alternately bellowed, jabbered, roared, or emitted blood-curdling threats through pursed lips and clenched-teeth.

What's amazing to me is that the cast also features early vaudeville star Jane Morgan as Arden's landlady; Jeff Chandler as biology teacher Mr. Boynton, and a young Richard Crenna as a clumsy high school youth. I really don't know how Crenna did the squeaky voice of a the teen he portrayed.

Jane-Morgan02jpg.JPG

25777186-l.jpg

Richard Crenna actually auditioned for that part on an " I Love Lucy " episode where he played a lovesick high school student, who Lucy tries to teach to dance.

Crenna thinks he's in love with Lucy, while a high school girl his own age thinks she's in love with Ricky. So it's up to the Ricardos to convince both teenagers that they are simply too old for them.

In that episode is my favorite line from the show. And I have to paraphrase it, but it goes something like:

Ricky is so old that he just Babbed his last Lu. Not exactly right but the idea of it still makes me laugh.

Oh, How I Love Lucy!

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Jane-Morgan02jpg.JPG

25777186-l.jpg

I listened to this one played on the local (I think it was ?) radio with my dad as a kid and really enjoyed it. One of my favorite exchanges from the show was when they were in their swimsuits and about to go swimming (I forget the exact episode)-

Boynton: "Oh, Ms. Brooks. I never knew you had a mole there."

Ms Brooks: "Yeah, I've had one on my elbow quite a long time." :lol: 

• Like 1

30yourimpression.jpg

I like to talk to a man who likes to talk, but I prefer to talk to a man who likes

to listen to me talk total nonsense. If blowhardiness was measured by body mass

index, this boy might be the all time champ. Narcissistic? Yeah, kind of.

• Like 2

One of my favorite exchanges from the show

--Gershwin Fan

Ha! Yea it was all pretty rich. Cleverly 'innocent' humor even when Brooks' romantic schemes had her tongue hanging out; or when she was trading icy barbs with catty rival Miss Enwright. I think I've said it before, but even though its he-man Jeff Chandler's voice (the bumbling target of their passion) it always conjured a mental picture of George Brent in my mind.

• Like 2

RICHARD GAINES as Charles T. Perdergast IN THE MORE THE MERRIER 1943 is a wonderful example of an autocratic blowhard. The boring Pendergast was forever engaged to the Jean Arthur's character, Connie with no sex appeal. He promised her financial security, with nothing else  to offer in the relationship. No wonder she was attracted to McCrea's more earthy character.22.jpg.57040d464053cb45f1c4f170c75566a1.jpg

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Ha! Yea it was all pretty rich. Cleverly 'innocent' humor even when Brooks' romantic schemes had her tongue hanging out; or when she was trading icy barbs with catty rival Miss Enwright. I think I've said it before, but even though its he-man Jeff Chandler's voice (the bumbling target of their passion) it always conjured a mental picture of George Brent in my mind.

Ms. Brooks:  "I hope I'm not interrupting, Mr. Boynton...  😍 "

Boynton:  "Not at all, in fact, I'm glad you're here."

Ms. Brooks:  "You are?  😍 😍"

Boynton:  "Yes, usually when someone comes in the lab, it's too distracting, but whenever you're here, I can concentrate on my work."

Ms. Brooks:  "Gee, thanks. 😓  Must be my perfume--That's what I get for wearing a perfume called '(shrug)...Ehh!'"

As for TV, the greatest. But can it peel a apple.

Wouldn't describe Ralph as "Narcissistic", but any list of great TV Blowhards must include Ralph's equivalent:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Who wrote 'The More the Merrier'? I've seen it and liked it; but this...

The boring Pendergast was forever engaged to the Jean Arthur's character, Connie with no sex appeal --arpirose

is definitely found in a Charles Dickens' novel...and, if I recall a-rightly, its "Our Mutual Friend" the theme of which is fiduciary; all the evils attendant upon lust for filthy lucre

• Thanks 1

okay not sure how or why this happened, but we're talking about memorable episodes of 'Our Miss Brooks'--I can't say I ever imagined I'd be ruminating on such a topic--but here's my pick

Osgood Conklin is away from his Madison Junior High one day because of something related to new furniture delivered to his home. For some reason he must rely on Connie Brooks to preside during his absence. None of the other teachers are available.

At some point during the morning, Walter Denton, Stretch Snodgrass, and Harriet Conklin (aka, 'the kids') come rushing up to her with alarming news they just heard on Walter's new shortwave radio. Weathermen announce a powerful hurricane is on the way up the coast and headed straight for downtown.

Miss Brooks seizes the radio and listens to the report herself --its just as Walter described. She closes the school, evacuates all the children from the building and then --meeting up with Professor Boynton and convincing him as well--they decide to take the three favorite pupils of hers to the Conklin residence to brave out the storm.

Principal Conklin is nowhere to be found, but they set about breaking all the downstairs windows in advance of the storm. That's how he finds them just as he returns; next everyone takes an axes in hand to all his brand-new furniture, in order to board up the openings.

He starts to go ape until they explain and make him listen to the radio alerts himself; after which he joins in with an axe himself. Harriet mans the radio while the room is torn apart to prepare for the storm ...and then the same announcer is heard giving precise instructions to 'reinforce all shelters with bamboo', 'send all native servants into the hills', and 'set free any tethered elephants'. The hurricane will strike downtown Bombay within the hour.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

O96fd732474f1d60540974091da24192c.jpg

As for TV, the greatest. But can it peel a apple.

Only because this is probably my favorite The Honeymooners episode ever here Vautrin ol' boy, I'm compelled to supply the following slight correction to your quote here.

It's actually, "But can it core a apple?".

(...but other than that, I really liked that you brought up Gleason's Ralph Kramden here, as it is indeed very fitting to this thread's topic)

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Wouldn't describe Ralph as "Narcissistic", but any list of great TV Blowhards must include Ralph's equivalent:

hqdefault.jpg

He' wasn't a preening, vain type of narcissist, but he certainly thought well of

himself, especially when he came up with one of his quick money making

schemes which always ended in failure. I've read in a number of places that

The Flintstones was pretty much a copy of The Honeymooners, which certainly

makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Only because this is probably my favorite The Honeymooners episode ever here Vautrin ol' boy, I'm compelled to supply the following slight correction to your quote here.

It's actually, "But can it core a apple?".

(...but other than that, I really liked that you brought up Gleason's Ralph Kramden here, as it is indeed very fitting to this thread's topic)

You are correct, oh chef of the future. I had to think awhile and couldn't remember whether

it was peel or core and I guessed incorrectly. That is one of my favorite episodes too, even

the old joke of someone getting stage fright. Hard to think of another 1950s TV character

who was a narcissistic blowhard to the extent of ol' Ralphie boy.

• Like 1