Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Narcissistic Blowhards

CLIFTON WEBB'S  stock in trade was to play autocrats in such examples as THE RAZOR'S EDGE 1946 & TITANIC 1953.  He was mostly a FOX star.  Therefore, we do not get much exposure to his works on TCM.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, arpirose said:

CLIFTON WEBB'S  stock in trade was to play autocrats in such examples as THE RAZOR'S EDGE 1946 & TITANIC 1953.  He was mostly a FOX star.  Therefore, we do not get much exposure to his works om TCM.

All his films from 1944 to 1962 were at Fox. And he did no television.

• Thanks 1
On 3/9/2019 at 7:59 PM, TopBilled said:

Clifton Webb was the ultimate, as Lynn Belvedere in SITTING PRETTY (1948).

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.36.00 AM.jpg

Yeah, but he was also kind of a lovable and effete snob too.

Unlike most insufferable blowhards I've known, he at least had some redeemable qualities. But I get your point, TB and he was really snotty in "Laura"...haha!

• Thanks 1
On 3/10/2019 at 5:53 AM, Fedya said:

A lot of Jack Carson's characters, too.  Especially in Mildred Pierce and Strawberry Blonde.

Agreed, but I did love Carson as a narcisstic playboy-type suitor in "Phffft" [dont remember the correct number of "f"s in that title] who basically got analyzed so well by Judy Holliday. Thanks for a good choice though, Fedya!

On 3/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, Sepiatone said:

Would JOSEPH SCHILDKRAUT's  Ferencz Vadas  from "The Shop Around The Corner" fit the bill?  :huh:

Sepiatone

Let me think about this, Sepia...

I love Schildkraut's immense acting talents so much, that even in that role as the cuckolder and rotten dirty scoundrel he is to everyone in Frank Morgan's shop, I kind of like him. Particularly when Vadas is giving tips to cabs and showing off his new diamond ring from his employer's wife, but yes, I guess he could be a narcissistic blowhard, with the emphasis more on the N-word than the B-word. Thanks!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Dargo said:

Monty Woolley, especially in The Man Who Came to Dinner

Wooley2.JPG

Great choice and I wonder what Alexander Woolcott thought of this performance?

Now I'm sure someone will correct this and say it is based on a falsity, so waiting with bated breath...

But as always, superlative commentary on your part, Dar!

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

On television I knew Gale Gordon as simply the worst principal anyone could ever have in a school on the TV show"Our Miss Brooks". 

Mr Conklin was a boss that you could only survive if you were assertive, creative, and extremely sarcastic. He was invented for Eve Arden.

Lucy, I believe, had him first on radio with "My Favorite Wife". But Eve Arden  got him first on TV. I always thought Miss Arden handled him better too.

So true, Princess! Just Conklin's intonations and inflections were masterful in this role as the nemesis of the beloved Miss Brooks.

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In some articles I have read, Gale Gordon's been described as the master of the slow burn. He became a bit more avuncular on Here's Lucy because though he was still playing Lucy's boss, he was also her brother-in-law and the uncle to her kids. So we saw a softer side to him in the domestic scenes. 

Basically Gordon assumed the patriarchal role on Lucy's sitcoms, since a husband was no longer around. Despite the fact that everyone knew Lucille Ball had married Gary Morton (who sometimes had minor roles on episodes of her shows), the public still wasn't able to accept anyone else but Desi Arnaz playing her husband on screen. So Gale Gordon stepped in and ended up doing a more blustery version of what Desi had done in the first sitcom.

I think maybe Gale Gordon took over the role as a mster of the slow burn, from actor Edgar Kennedy, who had perfected it in some many earlier comedies, but when he died in the late 1940's I think, Gale became top dog at the act. Thanks, TB!

22 hours ago, hamradio said:

This thread is about MOVIE characters.  So Trump appears for half a minute giving directions and that conclusion is drawn? :blink::wacko:

Calm down...just keep repeating, it is only a movie, it is only a movie and this is only a movie chat room, a movie chat room, or they will move my post to the Off-Topic Chat Area, Hamradio!

2 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I think maybe Gale Gordon took over the role as a mster of the slow burn, from actor Edgar Kennedy, who had perfected it in some many earlier comedies, but when he died in the late 1940's I think, Gale became top dog at the act. Thanks, TB!

You might have misunderstood what I posted earlier. I did not say Gale Gordon took over the role as master of the slow burn from Desi Arnaz. I said that in articles I had read, he was considered a master of the slow burn. Then later, I said he had taken over for Desi in Lucy's sitcoms, since he was basically the one that kept her scatterbrained character in line and played a paternal role towards her children in Here's Lucy.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yep. In the radio version of 'Our Miss Brooks' Gordon was arguably the comedy lead. Arden's delivery --for the most part--consisted of tart replies. Gordon alternately bellowed, jabbered, roared, or emitted blood-curdling threats through pursed lips and clenched-teeth.

What's amazing to me is that the cast also features early vaudeville star Jane Morgan as Arden's landlady; Jeff Chandler as biology teacher Mr. Boynton, and a young Richard Crenna as a clumsy high school youth. I really don't know how Crenna did the squeaky voice of a the teen he portrayed.

Jane-Morgan02jpg.JPG

220px-Jeff_Chandler_-_1958.jpg

25777186-l.jpg

Gratitude for your astute comments on the cast of "Our Miss Brooks", Markoff. My favorite character of course, is squeaky voiced Walter Denton, as played by Crenna. The fact that Jack Nicholson did that dead on imitation in Corman's "Little Shop of Horrors" as the masochistic dental patient makes me love Walter Denton even more as an icon.

19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

30yourimpression.jpg

I like to talk to a man who likes to talk, but I prefer to talk to a man who likes

to listen to me talk total nonsense. If blowhardiness was measured by body mass

index, this boy might be the all time champ. Narcissistic? Yeah, kind of.

Ounce for ounce of avoidupois, you got it, Pookie!

96fd732474f1d60540974091da24192c.jpg

As for TV, the greatest. But can it peel a apple.

96fd732474f1d60540974091da24192c.jpg

As for TV, the greatest. But can it peel a apple.

I can now admit to my lifelong crush on Ed Norton. Guys wearing undershirts and vests are such a turn-on! Plus that hat makes it all come together tonsorially.

Gleason may have been the greatest, but Norton had the much nicer apartment, with great decorating touches and a tv, even when they weren't even perfected yet which kept some cheapskates from buying one. How Alice could stand that fleabag apartment with just a kitchen table is beyond me. Norton was the real catch, who would shell out money and treat a girl like Trixie right.

19 hours ago, arpirose said:

RICHARD GAINES as Charles T. Perdergast IN THE MORE THE MERRIER 1943 is a wonderful example of an autocratic blowhard. The boring Pendergast was forever engaged to the Jean Arthur's character, Connie with no sex appeal. He promised her financial security, with nothing else  to offer in the relationship. No wonder she was attracted to McCrea's more earthy character.22.jpg.57040d464053cb45f1c4f170c75566a1.jpg

Only a true film historian would be mentioning Richard Gaines, Arpirose so let me salute you!

I totally dig him, as one of those actors who you know you've seen, but what is his name and why does he not get more credit. I became addicted to him due to being addicted to old "Perry Mason" reruns, in which he was great as one of the judges in a few episodes.

Thanks for posting in my thread with your always insightful comments!

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Foghorn Leghorn

screen-shot-2019-03-10-at-3.27.47-pm-1.j

My granny would always mention the radio character, Senator Beauregard Claghorn From Fred Allen's "Allen's Alley", when Foghorn Leghorn was on the tube. Both are blustery, but I will admit the human one is more reminiscent of some politicians I've seen and not loved. Foghorn is my favorite cartoon character, but if he were human, well...he probably wouldn't even recognize the resemblance, is my experience in life with such personages. Thanks, TB!

18 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

webb1.jpg?w=500&f=1...more of a 'rapier', than a 'cudgel'

Yes, those who can insult with a fine-tuned instrument, surgically applied to tender areas...instead of a blow torch vented en masse, are so much more amusing.

And since again, if anyone wants to correct me and say that a "cudgel" is not a "blow torch, I know that. I'm using artistic license. Just as I also know what a rapier is, and I know that a taxidermist is not needed by anyone for Internal Revenue services.

Thanks, Markoff!

P.S. Just trying to prevent the usual nitpicking, which wastes time which could be used for more movie chatting.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You might have misunderstood what I posted earlier. I did not say Gale Gordon took over the role as master of the slow burn from Desi Arnaz. I said that in articles I had read, he was considered a master of the slow burn. Then later, I said he had taken over for Desi in Lucy's sitcoms, since he was basically the one that kept her scatterbrained character in line and played a paternal role towards her children in Here's Lucy.

Oh..oh..oh!

I see what you meant now, TB! Sorry if I misinterpreted your actual meaning of the term in relation to the ILL show.

Mea culpa!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, calvinnme said:

This guy is probably the reason somebody would start thinking of narcissistic blowhards in film in the first place.

Stop...I just spit my Coke out!!!

The legal kind by the way.

Now let's all be nice to the leader of our nation, so we won't get on his naughty list, since Cohen is no longer there to torment anyone.

18 hours ago, calvinnme said:

This guy is probably the reason somebody would start thinking of narcissistic blowhards in film in the first place.

Indeed.  And some people can't even take a joke the chip is so large on those over sensitive shoulders.

22 hours ago, hamradio said:

OK, somebody in the youtube comments section for this clip made the following observation - in this episode Donald Trump wants to live in a big white house....which is currently occupied by an African American family...and somebody named Hillary is angry at him. Weird.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Indeed.  And some people can't even take a joke the chip is so large on those over sensitive shoulders.

That old adage about not discussing religion or politics at a party, is raising its ugly head again, ain't it,Bogie?

I see my poor insufferable blowhard thread, being cast off into the no man's land of the off-topic chat area, piece by piece as I watch helplessly.

21 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yep. In the radio version of 'Our Miss Brooks' Gordon was arguably the comedy lead. Arden's delivery --for the most part--consisted of tart replies. Gordon alternately bellowed, jabbered, roared, or emitted blood-curdling threats through pursed lips and clenched-teeth.

What's amazing to me is that the cast also features early vaudeville star Jane Morgan as Arden's landlady; Jeff Chandler as biology teacher Mr. Boynton, and a young Richard Crenna as a clumsy high school youth. I really don't know how Crenna did the squeaky voice of a the teen he portrayed.

220px-Jeff_Chandler_-_1958.jpg

I had no idea Jeff Chandler had the role of Boynton. This show was in reruns in the 60s when I was growing up, and all I knew was that Robert Rockwell had the TV role.

• Like 1

You share my sentiment then. Its hard to imagine Cochise or Race Bannon being so hapless towards the fair sex, isn't it? Anyway he was a fine voice actor --I've heard him do things like prison-break drama and jungle-murder yarns which seem to suit his rugged looks. Riveting stuff too. But when doing comedy, he was sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, good enough in this role of a biology nebbish to make you forget its Jeff Chandler. Native of Brooklyn!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

CaveGirl's instructions are not that specific. She does not say movie characters. Trump was the very first name that came to my mind. Unlike other presidents, Trump is a terrible actor.

Finally, a man who believes that my "instructions" are to be strictly followed, who is also one of the handsomest men in the movies, Michael Rennie!

My dream has come true. Thanks, MR for always following my "instructions" to the letter, and you are right when you say I was not that "specific" so feel free to extrapolate on any of my topics.

Only you though, no other posters have that right!!!