Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Narcissistic Blowhards

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Only because this is probably my favorite The Honeymooners episode ever here Vautrin ol' boy, I'm compelled to supply the following slight correction to your quote here.

It's actually, "But can it core a apple?".

(...but other than that, I really liked that you brought up Gleason's Ralph Kramden here, as it is indeed very fitting to this thread's topic)

You know what I like about you, Dargo? You have the ability to be courteous and innately polite when you see a possible slight error in anyone's post, which you do not do in a condescending or know-it-all way.

I could only wish that all people in the world had such understanding of what etiquette really means. I remember seeing Dina Merrill once on a show talking about etiquette and she said true etiquette is not to make people uncomfortable and call them up on their table manners or whatever, as that actually constitutes bad manners. If one sees someone drinking out of the finger bowl, often the etiquette would be to also drink out of the finger bowl, or give them some slight sign to use it differently. Correct when needed but in a kind and low key way is the mantra of those who are really polite.

Your subtle and carefully worded remonstrances, bringing attention to a possible slight error are kind and indicative of good breeding and those of just an all-around wonderful person.

Sorry for being so complimentary, as people will say I should start a fan club for you, but I sincerely appreciate all your posts. I would be happy to be corrected by someone who is so attentive to others' feelings, so as to not make them feel they are being put down or made to look ignorant, when they occasionally recall something from memory or are a bit off in some details of a post.

Your fan, CG

• Thanks 1

Bette-as-Elizabeth-I-bette-davis-3095990

I was trying to think of a female character that might fit this bill.  Egocentric blowhards are usually associated with men.  Bette Davis' turn as Queen Elizabeth I in The Virgin Queen (above) and to a lesser extent in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) might make the cut.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

Bette-as-Elizabeth-I-bette-davis-3095990

I was trying to think of a female character that might fit this bill.  Egocentric blowhards are usually associated with men.  Bette Davis' turn as Queen Elizabeth I in The Virgin Queen (above) and to a lesser extent in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) might make the cut.

Yes, but having to share the screen with Joan Collins would make anybody testy.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, hamradio said:

This thread is about MOVIE characters.  So Trump appears for half a minute giving directions and that conclusion is drawn? :blink::wacko:

HELL YES!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I can now admit to my lifelong crush on Ed Norton. Guys wearing undershirts and vests are such a turn-on! Plus that hat makes it all come together tonsorially.

Gleason may have been the greatest, but Norton had the much nicer apartment, with great decorating touches and a tv, even when they weren't even perfected yet which kept some cheapskates from buying one. How Alice could stand that fleabag apartment with just a kitchen table is beyond me. Norton was the real catch, who would shell out money and treat a girl like Trixie right.

With a daily wardrobe like that, no wonder Norton had a lot of extra cash. The Nortons did have

a much nicer apartment than the Kramden's post WWII Berlin look. Since I figured they had about

the same salary maybe Norton avoided some of Ralph's wilder money making schemes. 

About Clifton Webb. He was so physically unimposing and sissified that it was hard to take him

seriously as an autocrat. He could use his waspish manner to intimidate people, but the idea

of any physical threat would have had one double over in laughter. But still a wonderful actor

in most of the roles he played.

• Thanks 1

James Villiers, another Brit. I chiefly recall him from two small roles in 'Repulsion' and 'For Your Eyes Only'. But his voice was oily and herpitudinous and he usually played wily schemers, connivers, back-biters, or puffed-up pongy ponces! :)

James%2520Villiers%2520%2520'The%2520Sai

james%2Bvilliers.jpg&f=1

• Like 2
On 3/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

any mention yet... of...?

robert-morley-topkapi-3.jpg&f=1

12385-21236.jpg&f=1

robert_morley_in_marie_antoinette_traile

Oh, I adore Robert Morley! I still remember seeing him in I think some BBC prank, in which he espoused the belief that balls were the bane of society and the movement was called "Ban the Ball" and cameras would follow Morley all around playgrounds in Britain and he would walk up to small children playing games with varied types of sporting balls, and would put his hands out, point to the ball and ask them quite solemnly to "Surrender the ball!"

The children's incredulous expressions as they sadly and wistfully handed over their beloved balls was so entertaining. Thanks, Sarge!

• Like 1
On 3/11/2019 at 10:58 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

James Villiers, another Brit. I chiefly recall him from two small roles in 'Repulsion' and 'For Your Eyes Only'. But his voice was oily and herpitudinous and he usually played wily schemers, connivers, back-biters, or puffed-up pongy ponces! :)

James%2520Villiers%2520%2520'The%2520Sai

james%2Bvilliers.jpg&f=1

Why...I never thought Pongy Ponce acted "puffed-up" in his role on "Hawaiian Eye" and I'm sure Connie Stevens never thought so either, Sarge.

Oh, wait...that was Poncie Ponce, wasn't it?

Never mind...

On 3/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Ernst Stavro Blowhard ....

bond-blofeld1.jpg

I will watch anything with Donald Pleasance in it. For me, he made the movie "Halloween" work, plus is always amazing in any film or tv show.

There is a fine write-up about him in that TTZ Companion book, about his being hired for the episode, "The Changing of the Guard" where he plays a kindly professor. The episode reminds me a bit of the film "The Browning Version" without all the wifely adultery issues and such, but it has a similar melancholy tone.

Thanks, Bogie!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

any mention yet... of...?

robert-morley-topkapi-3.jpg&f=1

12385-21236.jpg&f=1

robert_morley_in_marie_antoinette_traile

Yes, he did receive a nomination for an Oscar for Marie Antoinette (and deserved to win), but i like that middle photo is from Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe. He was at his acidic best in that film, and deserved at least a nomination that year.

• Thanks 1