Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The MeToo Movement

From your experience, where do you think the MeToo movement fits in on most online chat sites?

For example, if I am on a vintage and antique appreciation chat room, though as posters we admire the items from the past, should we also accept the acceptable norms of behaviour from that period, such as having a fellow poster espouse tenets of the white supremacy style groups or men treating woman as second class citizens and being abusive in language?

I wlll say responsible sites like Facebook at least have a block button so a poster can eliminate someone from constantly responding to their posts with intransigent harassment, which is a good thing. Why should anyone have to associate with cranky and miserable folks who just are annoyingly always blabbing their invective?

What say you?

5 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

From your experience, where do you think the MeToo movement fits in on most online chat sites?

For example, if I am on a vintage and antique appreciation chat room, though as posters we admire the items from the past, should we also accept the acceptable norms of behaviour from that period, such as having a fellow poster espouse tenets of the white supremacy style groups or men treating woman as second class citizens and being abusive in language?

I wlll say responsible sites like Facebook at least have a block button so a poster can eliminate someone from constantly responding to their posts with intransigent harassment, which is a good thing. Why should anyone have to associate with cranky and miserable folks who just are annoyingly always blabbing their invective?

What say you?

I say if one can't stand the heat they need to get out of the kitchen.    While I agree with an 'ignore' option (like this site has),   I don't wish for some site moderator to remove folks that others find annoying.  

Also some people join chat sites looking to be insulted to justify their I'm-a-victim mentality.     I.e. they create a self-fulfilling prophecy.    

Yes, I remember that the IMDB movie site, had a place called The Soapbox that was only for the hardcore who could take the heat. The site for the baby set, was called The Sandbox, for the thin skinned.

But they also allowed posters to put miscreants in their place with their own verbal jousting, without site moderators butting in at all.

That is a good solution. If a poster can dish it out, but not take it back, without constantly reporting others trying to get them banned for no real transgression except understandable sarcasm, too bad.

Ignore options are fine, but block functions are better. Why be forced to associate with deranged aggressors who spoil all the fun of talking about movies?