Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trafic (1971). Jacques Tati.


slaytonf
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rounding out TCM's presentation of Jacques Tati's feature work, tomorrow's Import is his long-awaited (at least by me) Trafic (1971).  It records the events of a car company's exhibit team at a car show.  Escapades would be a more accurate description.  Being a work by Tati, it naturally entails delightfully choreographed visual comedy.  His movies are verbally sparse, and visually dense.  Obviously influenced by the great silent comedians, his work is never derivative, or imitative.  It's lively, witty and engaging.  I've always thought of him as the fourth great silent film comedian.

The only thing that would make this a more perfect world is to see his short films and his TV work.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

The only thing that would make this a more perfect world is to see his short films and his TV work.

The Evening Class (1967) has been on before I think. Also I too am very glad to see more Tati films coming on Imports. Can't wait. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, rayban said:

When I saw "Mon Oncle", at the time, it seemed to me to be the funniest film that had ever been made.

Trafic is probably my favorite of his films. Funny gag after gag with another scathing criticism of technology.

trafic-1971-priest-and-volkswagen-el-han

My favorite of his short films is probably School for Postmen. I like the bell gag the best. :lol: Was funny to see it reused in Jour de Fete. Evening Class was very crude and with dull sets.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2019 at 9:09 PM, slaytonf said:

The only thing that would make this a more perfect world is to see his short films and his TV work.

There is a pricey Blu-ray set called "Complete Jacques Tati" that includes all the feature films he directed, all 7 of his shorts, including his incomplete 1978 short "Forza Bastia" (completed by his daughter in 2002), and his made-for-television film "Parade."  This set can be had for $63 plus tax when Barnes & Noble has its annual 50% Criterion sale.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I have all the ones TCM has shown.  The ones I have seen are great so I just kept recording them.  I'll have to have one of my friends over to see Trafic, a retired factory auto mechanic.

 

On 3/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, Gershwin fan said:

The Evening Class (1967) has been on before I think. Also I too am very glad to see more Tati films coming on Imports. Can't wait. 

Yes.  For whatever reason I have it listed under the original title: Cours du soir (1967), shown back in 2017-06

edit:  Oh I see...  TCM listed it that way.  Maybe I'll comb through all the French titles and substitute US release AKA titles, where applicable.  Then again...maybe not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2019 at 6:09 PM, slaytonf said:

Rounding out TCM's presentation of Jacques Tati's feature work, tomorrow's Import is his long-awaited (at least by me) Trafic (1971).  It records the events of a car company's exhibit team at a car show.  Escapades would be a more accurate description.  Being a work by Tati, it naturally entails delightfully choreographed visual comedy.  His movies are verbally sparse, and visually dense.  Obviously influenced by the great silent comedians, his work is never derivative, or imitative.  It's lively, witty and engaging.  I've always thought of him as the fourth great silent film comedian.

The only thing that would make this a more perfect world is to see his short films and his TV work.

Spot on description…enjoyed viewing Trafic, while hoping to see more such Tati in the not too distant future. 💋

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...