Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting facts straight

I just got through watching Saturday night movies and segued into the noir alley  from Ben Mankiewicz to Eddie Muller's great intro portion. While I have watched Ben grow into the job I can see he still depends on prompters for some things, not a bad thing. But when his research ,or the researchers he may depend on, get things wrong i feel i must say something. no big deal really, and i usually let little things go. However this mistake was about Neville Brand being  the 4th most highly decorated soldier in WW2. It was confirmed by none other than himself in a rare interview and further supplemented by reports from the military records themselves. As a live , working actor, such puff pieces are just about expected. no big deal as ive already said. But the fact that he was the oft cited 2nd, 4th and other non first, most decorated soldier has now been in public domain as incorrect for 20-25yrs already and should not be further propagated to the newer generations of movie buffs. I enjoy Ben's great anecdotes but the story about Neville Brand is not correct. He was certainly a decorated soldier, having won the silver star for gallantry purple heart and battle ribbons with stars, campaign ribbons and more. I am no military buff or expert but do know about some of the things and since Mr Brand decided to set the record straight I think it is up to us to maintain that approach. A small point but significant and should have been picked up had the researcher read past the first line of any bio on Neville Brand. showed a sloppy , less than professional undertaking. embarrassing, if it isnt then shame on them.

jd

So he was decorated ...but just not the most highly decorated soldier of WWII? That was Audie Murphy as far (as I know). So maybe they got their prompter cards for these two stars mixed up that morning. Eh well ...alright they made a boo-boo. And you...flagged them on it! Good job

8 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

So he was decorated ...but just not the most highly decorated soldier of WWII? That was Audie Murphy as far (as I know). So maybe they got their prompter cards for these two stars mixed up that morning. Eh well ...alright they made a boo-boo. And you...flagged them on it! Good job

I dunno Sarge. It'd be kind'a hard to confuse fresh-faced boy-next-door Audie Murphy with Neville Brand, wouldn't ya say?! ;)

(...and regardless how many medals each of 'em might have had pinned to their chests for their meritorious service during WWII)

On 3/10/2019 at 2:50 AM, johnniedoo said:

I just got through watching Saturday night movies and segued into the noir alley  from Ben Mankiewicz to Eddie Muller's great intro portion. While I have watched Ben grow into the job I can see he still depends on prompters for some things, not a bad thing. But when his research ,or the researchers he may depend on, get things wrong i feel i must say something. no big deal really, and i usually let little things go. However this mistake was about Neville Brand being  the 4th most highly decorated soldier in WW2. It was confirmed by none other than himself in a rare interview and further supplemented by reports from the military records themselves. As a live , working actor, such puff pieces are just about expected. no big deal as ive already said. But the fact that he was the oft cited 2nd, 4th and other non first, most decorated soldier has now been in public domain as incorrect for 20-25yrs already and should not be further propagated to the newer generations of movie buffs. I enjoy Ben's great anecdotes but the story about Neville Brand is not correct. He was certainly a decorated soldier, having won the silver star for gallantry purple heart and battle ribbons with stars, campaign ribbons and more. I am no military buff or expert but do know about some of the things and since Mr Brand decided to set the record straight I think it is up to us to maintain that approach. A small point but significant and should have been picked up had the researcher read past the first line of any bio on Neville Brand. showed a sloppy , less than professional undertaking. embarrassing, if it isnt then shame on them.

jd

hey, this was a schtootz who sat in with his 2 young turk buddies the nite Hillary lost so doan expect too much.

:lol: