Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

2020 Election

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Any democrat candidate over Trump but is it right to pin all the hopes on Joe?

It’s time to bid farewell to Joe Biden
Opinion   By Richard Cohen  Read more »

So, Bidden is unqualified because of all the gaffes he makes according to Richard Cohen.  He implies that this may be related to mental issues, but offers no actual proof of that.  Biden has always been gaffe prone.

Cohen offers no other reasons why Biden should not be president.

More importantly, Cohen does not offer an alternative that would likely defeat Trump.  Although he does sort of favor Warren, but gives no reason other than that she is an ideologue with whom he apparently agrees.

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

When I ran for city council, one of the poll managers told me not to bother visiting black voters as only about 10 ever voted.  Not 10 per cent, but 10 total.  Black population was about 30% or more.  He was right.  With only one polling place and being there all day I counted.  I did go house to house and otherwise contacted some of the blacks.

For the Dem candidate to take back Michigan,  black voter turnout needs to be as high as it was for the last two Obama elections.   Key is the city of Detroit.   This article makes me pessimistic. 

E.g. one guy said that the Dem candidate had to prove that they would directly do something that would benefit blacks in Detroit or he would sit out again (like he did in 2016).    As most know,  the President doesn't have much power to change the lives of individuals in a  city,  let alone those from one group.       But hey, these type of voters demand pandering, and I'm sure some of the Dem candidates will deliver.  

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

For the Dem candidate to take back Michigan,  black voter turnout needs to be as high as it was for the last two Obama elections.   Key is the city of Detroit.   This article makes me pessimistic. 

E.g. one guy said that the Dem candidate had to prove that they would directly do something that would benefit blacks in Detroit or he would sit out again (like he did in 2016).    As most know,  the President doesn't have much power to change the lives of individuals in a  city,  let alone those from one group.       But hey, these type of voters demand pandering, and I'm sure some of the Dem candidates will deliver.  

Unfortunately too many people in this country do not understand that the president has one tremendous power that will affect them, their children and their grand-children.  The power to decide who sits on Federal courts for 30-50 years.

15 minutes ago, TheCid said:

So, Bidden is unqualified because of all the gaffes he makes according to Richard Cohen.  He implies that this may be related to mental issues, but offers no actual proof of that.  Biden has always been gaffe prone.

Cohen offers no other reasons why Biden should not be president.

More importantly, Cohen does not offer an alternative that would likely defeat Trump.  Although he does sort of favor Warren, but gives no reason other than that she is an ideologue with whom he apparently agrees.

Exactly!  I agree.  What's wrong with being gaga?  You're only running to be President of the United States.  It's not like you are the CEO of some large corporation, or something.  He would be following in a long line of absolutely stupid presidents ... Ford, W. Bush and now Trump to name just a few.

13 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Exactly!  I agree.  What's wrong with being gaga?  You're only running to be President of the United States.  It's not like you are the CEO of some large corporation, or something.  He would be following in a long line of absolutely stupid presidents ... Ford, W. Bush and now Trump to name just a few.

I thought even Cohen recognized that Biden is intelligent and has many other attributes needed by a president.  I did not pick up where Cohen thought he was "stupid."  As for Gerald Ford, he was not stupid.  Clumsy perhaps, but not stupid.  He inherited a real mess from Nixon in many areas.  I voted for Ford because I knew Jimmy Carter was stupid and he proved it.  Not that he was not a good man who wanted to do good things, but he just couldn't get his act together.

25 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I thought even Cohen recognized that Biden is intelligent and has many other attributes needed by a president.  I did not pick up where Cohen thought he was "stupid."  As for Gerald Ford, he was not stupid.  Clumsy perhaps, but not stupid.  He inherited a real mess from Nixon in many areas.  I voted for Ford because I knew Jimmy Carter was stupid and he proved it.  Not that he was not a good man who wanted to do good things, but he just couldn't get his act together.

We're quibbling over whether he is stupid or just plain gaga.  Either one, he fits the mold, or is that mould to be president.

BREAKING: In a massive 357 page opinion a North Carolina Court has

struck down the State's legislative districts as partisan gerrymanders.

New districts to be in place for 2020 elections.........

"The three-judge panel of state judges ruled Tuesday that courts can step in to decide when partisan advantage goes so far it diminishes democracy.

Republicans argued there’s no clear way for judges to know what kinds of redistricting are unacceptable. Democrats and their allies said the districts were so gerrymandered they unconstitutionally insulated politicians from changing voting behavior...."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

BREAKING: In a massive 357 page opinion a North Carolina Court has

struck down the State's legislative districts as partisan gerrymanders.

New districts to be in place for 2020 elections.........

"The three-judge panel of state judges ruled Tuesday that courts can step in to decide when partisan advantage goes so far it diminishes democracy.

Republicans argued there’s no clear way for judges to know what kinds of redistricting are unacceptable. Democrats and their allies said the districts were so gerrymandered they unconstitutionally insulated politicians from changing voting behavior...."

This will require a lot of redistricting to be in time for primaries and elections.  I can see an appeal to set this aside until after the 2020 election, as well as complete overturn.

I do hope they will appeal this to the NC Supreme Court, 6 Dems, 1 Republican. :)

2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I do hope they will appeal this to the NC Supreme Court, 6 Dems, 1 Republican. :)

Can they then appeal it to US Supreme Court?  Not sure how these redistricting cases get out of state courts and into Federal court system.  Didn't Supreme Court recently decide one for NC?

Joe Biden is a smart man. He managed to remembered Margaret Thatcher's comments about Charlottesville right off the top of his head! :lol: 

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

Can they then appeal it to US Supreme Court?  Not sure how these redistricting cases get out of state courts and into Federal court system.  Didn't Supreme Court recently decide one for NC?

From what I've read this relates to the NC Constitution, not the U.S. Constitution, especially as this

concerns the state legislature, not the federal legislsature. The U.S. Supreme Court dealt with

the federal elective offices not the state ones, so this will most likely be ultimately decided by the

NC Supreme Court. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Michael Gerson had a good column re: how Trump could lose.  The last paragraph sums it up.  Higlighting added by me.

To win re-election, Trump will need to take and get credit for a strong economy, control his self-destructive tendencies on Twitter and in press availabilities, and draw a very liberal Democratic opponent. The first condition is very much up in the air. The third is in the hands of Democrats. Recent events, however, show that the second condition will almost certainly not be met. Trump seems incapable of carrying forward any political strategy that requires something more than immediate obedience to his rampant impulses.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/national/michael-gerson-trump-has-done-nothing-to-win-back-the/article_fcb05240-a13f-5035-a7cd-4f8cd5a4155b.html

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

A few more details on what they want, but where is the money going to come from?  Raising taxes on the rich, if they could even do it, will not be near enough.  Lowering the DOD, DHS and DVA budgets want do it either.

I assume the zero emissions cars will be 100% electric vehicles?  In 10-20 years, only 100% electric vehicles will be made and/or sold in US?  Does this include pick-ups?  This is a HUGE lift for the American automobile industry.  It is also a huge life for Americans to accept.

I don't disagree with trying to "eradicate" climate change, but will the majority of American voters accept this?  Along with the higher utility bills required to convert utilities.

Will natural gas be regulated out of existence?

Not trying to sound overly pessimistic (I am), but wondering how the voters will perceive this in Nov. 2020.

CNN leading political article is about Marianne Williamson and her now deleted Tweet,  about the power of mind can deter hurricanes.

This is of course as nuts as saying prayer can prevent those with evil intent from committing crimes.

What I wonder about is why CNN even covered this.    Williamson was a kook from the start and thus deserves little to no news coverage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/politics/marianne-williamson-hurricane-dorian-tweet-trnd/index.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

CNN leading political article is about Marianne Williamson and her now deleted Tweet,  about the power of mind can deter hurricanes.

This is of course as nuts as saying prayer can prevent those with evil intent from committing crimes.

What I wonder about is why CNN even covered this.    Williamson was a kook from the start and thus deserves little to no news coverage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/politics/marianne-williamson-hurricane-dorian-tweet-trnd/index.html

Too true,  It is almost as if some clown said wind turbines caused cancer and that clown got elected president!  Never happen in a million years, right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

Too true,  It is almost as if some clown said wind turbines caused cancer and that clown got elected president!  Never happen in a million years, right?

Hopefully the USA doesn't elected a clown like Trump for at least another million years,  but I don't have my hopes up!

Thought this post by mr6666 on another thread deserved a shot here. 

JUST IN: Republican Rep. Flores of Texas announces he will not seek re-election;

latest of several Texas House Republicans to retire in 2020.
  • Thanks 1

CNN Climate Town Hall: What Experts Want to See 2020 Democrats Talk About

"Ten Democratic presidential candidates will take the stage on Wednesday, September 4 for a climate change town hall hosted by CNN. Only the candidates who qualified for the third Democratic debate were invited to participate in the event.

Julián Castro will kick off the town hall, followed by Andrew Yang, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Pete Buttigieg, Beto O'Rourke and Cory Booker.

The live event will start at 5 p.m. eastern time and is expected to last at least seven hours as candidates appear in back-to-back interviews. Each candidate will have about 40 minutes to answer questions from CNN reporters and a studio audience.......

Most of the 2020 Democrats have released their own policy proposals to address climate change, though some are more ambitious than others. They have all pledged to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement, a global effort to combat global warming. Seven of the 10 candidates who are also members of Congress have supported Green New Deal legislation.

A CNN poll conducted earlier this year showed that 96 percent of Democrats said it was important that a presidential candidate support aggressive action on climate change. In several other surveys, climate change has been cited as one of the top three issues in the upcoming election.........

https://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-experts-2020-democrats-cnn-town-hall-1457455?edf=25

10 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Seven of the 10 candidates who are also members of Congress have supported Green New Deal legislation.

The USA alone enacting something like the Green New Deal isn't going to help planet earth much unless other industrial nations also adopted something similar.

To me the best,  most realistic,  campaign promises a Dem candidate can make are to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement, and to work on Phase II of the agreement incorporating some of those Green New Deal ideas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I just saw my local news, where a state government spokesman credited the fact that our new governor Ron De Santis placed a prayer in the Western Wall in Jerusalem a few months for causing Hurricane Dorian to change course and largely miss the state. De Santis was part of that visit pledging fealty to Israel and swearing that our state would never pass any laws critical of Israel or to hinder Israeli business.

The spokesman claimed that there was no other conceivable reason for the storm to change its course the way it did except for prayer. That's just as stupid as Williamson's kookery. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I just saw my local news, where a state government spokesman credited the fact that our new governor Ron De Santis placed a prayer in the Western Wall in Jerusalem a few months for causing Hurricane Dorian to change course and largely miss the state. De Santis was part of that visit pledging fealty to Israel and swearing that our state would never pass any laws critical of Israel or to hinder Israeli business.

The spokesman claimed that there was no other conceivable reason for the storm to change its course the way it did except for prayer. That's just as stupid as Williamson's kookery. 

Yea,  more loony stuff from myth believers.     I wish I had known about this last week because I would have used my mystical contacts (and the force is strong with me),  so that the hurricane went right over De Santis' place of residence and stayed there for at least half a day!

• Haha 3

I didn't catch the entire thing but in last night's CNN climate change town hall for the democratic candidates Mayor Pete had something interesting to say.  In appealing to mid western evangelicals whom I suppose can be hard nosed Republicans Mayor Pete asked would God want us to be belching poisons into the atmosphere of His creation?