Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

2020 Election

Joe Biden was asked a rather tough question (the unpopular kind) about climate change last night.  He rambled for a little while then cut himself off by saying he was talking too much and just stopped.  All without answering the question.

Boy this type of thing is rather sad.  And I say so knowing that my comment is going to be read by about only half a dozen people so it will hardly hurt Joe.

• Haha 1

This is just my own observation of Joe Biden answering questions.  He doesn't talk to people, he barks at them.  And he does so in a whiny, defensive, chip-on-the-shoulder manner like he is entitled and should not be challenged.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

This is just my own observation of Joe Biden answering questions.  He doesn't talk to people, he barks at them.  And he does so in a whiny, defensive, chip-on-the-shoulder manner like he is entitled and should not be challenged.

I know someone (a Democratic voter, btw) who has always felt that about Biden. I used to defend Biden years ago as being one of the real fighters in the party, but my friend always said he seemed like a stereotypical career politician phony with emotional control issues. I saw my friend recently, and she said she thought that Biden is just as bad now, but with a sort of air of entitlement added (thanks to his Obama VP days), and that his gaffes have gone beyond the old Freudian slip to seeming symptomatic of some health issue. She then laughed and said that of course she'll still vote for him over Trump any day.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I know someone (a Democratic voter, btw) who has always felt that about Biden. I used to defend Biden years ago as being one of the real fighters in the party, but my friend always said he seemed like a stereotypical career politician phony with emotional control issues. I saw my friend recently, and she said she thought that Biden is just as bad now, but with a sort of air of entitlement added (thanks to his Obama VP days), and that his gaffes have gone beyond the old Freudian slip to seeming symptomatic of some health issue. She then laughed and said that of course she'll still vote for him over Trump any day.  

Hopefully your friend lives in Florida like you;  Florida is one of the 4 key states and the Dem candidate will need every anyone-but-Trump voter.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I didn't catch the entire thing but in last night's CNN climate change town hall for the democratic candidates Mayor Pete had something interesting to say.  In appealing to mid western evangelicals whom I suppose can be hard nosed Republicans Mayor Pete asked would God want us to be belching poisons into the atmosphere of His creation?

Evangelicals do not care about climate change.  It is not in The Bible.  At least not the way they interpret it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Evangelicals do not care about climate change.  It is not in The Bible.  At least not the way they interpret it.

I guess if you've met one evangelical you've met them all.  

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Do you have a point or is this just another attack on me commenting?

26 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Evangelicals have more group-think (well really non-think),  then most groups. 

Such a brainwashed mentality is the only way to spread their myths and BS from one generation to the next.

• Thanks 2

Most of the evangelicals I've met only believe what their pastor tells them. If climate change isn't mentioned, then it doesn't matter. Then there are those who do accept climate change, but think it's part of God's plan, so not to bother with it. And there are those who think it doesn't matter because the End Times are near. There's at least one of those on these boards.

• Haha 3

Republicans fear drubbing in next round of redistricting

It's shaping up as a 180-degree reversal from the political landscape heading into 2010.

".....Senior Republicans concede they’re at risk of losing dozens of state-level elections that will determine who wields power over the post-2020 congressional map — and potentially which party controls the chamber for the following 10 years. While Republicans are establishing a massive national infrastructure devoted to reelecting President Donald Trump and winning congressional majorities, party officials say the state legislative races are being overlooked.

The trepidation comes as an array of well-funded Democratic groups — including one with the backing of former President Barack Obama and ex-Attorney General Eric Holder — are flooding cash into Virginia, a key redistricting battleground that's holding state legislative elections this fall.......

The GOP's redistricting troubles represent a complete turnabout for the party. In the run-up to the 2010 election, Chambers’ group outspent its Democratic counterpart nearly 3-to-1, helping Republicans net nearly 700 seats and flip control of 20 legislative bodies. The party that year benefited from a broad backlash against Obama's first years in office, particularly his health care overhaul.

Republicans used their control of line-drawing to solidify and protect their newly won House majority, which remained intact through 2018.

This time around, it’s Democrats who are playing big. The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee outraised the RSLC during the first half of 2019. And unlike a decade ago, Democrats are getting help from a galaxy of outside groups and allies, especially Obama.

The former president has lent his fundraising heft to the Holder-led National Democratic Redistricting Committee, which expects to pour more than $13.5 million into statehouse races this election cycle.......

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/05/republicans-redistricting-democrats-1481833

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Evangelicals have more group-think (well really non-think),  then most groups. 

Such a brainwashed mentality is the only way to spread their myths and BS from one generation to the next.

Most people in all groups exhibit herd mentality, it's just more noticeable in Evangelicals because they have such "out there" ideas about the world.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Republicans fear drubbing in next round of redistricting

It's shaping up as a 180-degree reversal from the political landscape heading into 2010.

".....Senior Republicans concede they’re at risk of losing dozens of state-level elections that will determine who wields power over the post-2020 congressional map — and potentially which party controls the chamber for the following 10 years. While Republicans are establishing a massive national infrastructure devoted to reelecting President Donald Trump and winning congressional majorities, party officials say the state legislative races are being overlooked.

The trepidation comes as an array of well-funded Democratic groups — including one with the backing of former President Barack Obama and ex-Attorney General Eric Holder — are flooding cash into Virginia, a key redistricting battleground that's holding state legislative elections this fall.......

The GOP's redistricting troubles represent a complete turnabout for the party. In the run-up to the 2010 election, Chambers’ group outspent its Democratic counterpart nearly 3-to-1, helping Republicans net nearly 700 seats and flip control of 20 legislative bodies. The party that year benefited from a broad backlash against Obama's first years in office, particularly his health care overhaul.

Republicans used their control of line-drawing to solidify and protect their newly won House majority, which remained intact through 2018.

This time around, it’s Democrats who are playing big. The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee outraised the RSLC during the first half of 2019. And unlike a decade ago, Democrats are getting help from a galaxy of outside groups and allies, especially Obama.

The former president has lent his fundraising heft to the Holder-led National Democratic Redistricting Committee, which expects to pour more than $13.5 million into statehouse races this election cycle.......

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/05/republicans-redistricting-democrats-1481833

I hope the Dems can pull this off, but I am pessimistic.  After 2010, the GOPers were in such firm control of so many state legislatures that they very successfully gerrymandered the majority of districts in Red and even many purple states.  Add to that the massive voter suppression laws that they passed.

It will be hard for the Dems to regain control of those legislatures and governorships.  The GOPers are much better at mobilizing money and people to get out the vote for local candidates.

It would appear that this is one area where too close an identification with the progressive/liberal/leftist Dem candidates for president can hurt the Dem Party.  And the GOPers will make the most of it.

Pretty good article.  Here is just one paragraph below.  I redacted a while ago that Trump will run for the hills and be a no-show at the 2020 debates.

Looking forward to the general election debate? Not so fast.
Opinion   By Jennifer Rubin  Read more »

The moderator(s) will be under heavy pressure to fact-check, and the Democratic nominee will come armed with reality. The way Trump keeps his cult followers in the dark is by shielding them from independent sources; feeding them a steady diet of lies via Fox News; steering clear of tough, independent interviewers; and conducting a monologue, more like a stream of consciousness, his base watching on with rapt attention.

• Haha 1

While Fox's Shep called out Trump for his Alabama lies Hannity has said Trump speaks the absolute truth and it is the media that is lying.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Pretty good article.  Here is just one paragraph below.  I redacted a while ago that Trump will run for the hills and be a no-show at the 2020 debates.

Looking forward to the general election debate? Not so fast.
Opinion   By Jennifer Rubin  Read more »

The moderator(s) will be under heavy pressure to fact-check, and the Democratic nominee will come armed with reality. The way Trump keeps his cult followers in the dark is by shielding them from independent sources; feeding them a steady diet of lies via Fox News; steering clear of tough, independent interviewers; and conducting a monologue, more like a stream of consciousness, his base watching on with rapt attention.

I didn't watch much of the 2016 debates, but that may be an indication of how things will go.  Even when the moderator tries to fact check Trump, he will ignore them or already be on to something else.

You may be correct that Trump will be reluctant to participate in debates.  BUT, he is a television celebrity and that will appeal to him a whole lot.  Besides, truth and facts are not important to him anyway.

Not sure how valuable the debates are anymore.

50 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

While Fox's Shep called out Trump for his Alabama lies Hannity has said Trump speaks the absolute truth and it is the media that is lying.

Did Hannity say this recently (like yesterday)?    I ask because I only watched about 2 minutes of his show and he wasn't addressing map-gate (and anything over 4 minutes,,,, I start to feel sick).

Anyhow,  I'm really hoping for major conflict between Hannity and the news division and that this leads to Hannity being dismissed.

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did Hannity say this recently (like yesterday)?    I ask because I only watched about 2 minutes of his show and he wasn't addressing map-gate (and anything over 4 minutes,,,, I start to feel sick).

Anyhow,  I'm really hoping for major conflict between Hannity and the news division and that this leads to Hannity being dismissed.

CNN's John King at lunchtime showed Shep and Sean clips back to back.  I presume Hannity was from last night.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bogie56 said:

CNN's John King at lunchtime showed Shep and Sean clips back to back.  I presume Hannity was from last night.

Great.   Hopefully the Murdoch sons saw this and have had enough of that hack Hannity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It is now being called Sharpiegate.  Trump uses Sharpies.

• Haha 1

As expected, the Trumpist S.C. Republican Party officials cancelled the presidential primary.  Former governor and US House member Mark Sanford announced that he will run against Trump for the nomination.  That makes three people running against Trump.  One Republican official stated that Trump is more popular in S.C. than Reagan was.☹️

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/election/article234792477.html

• Haha 1

N.C. Ninth District won by Republican by about 2 percent.  Trump took the district by 19 points in 2016.  Trump and Pence had campaigned in the district that extends from Charlotte to Fayetteville (home of Ft. Bragg, 82nd Airborne, Special Forces, XVIII Airborne Corps, etc.).

This could be the last race of 2018 or maybe the first of 2020.  Trump is taking credit for the victory.

• Haha 1

Republicans Won Both Elections In North Carolina — But It’s Not All Bad News For Democrats

"...... taken together, the results of special elections3 do mean something for 2020. Specifically, if one party is performing consistently better than its normal partisan baseline, that has historically presaged a strong cycle for that party in the next regularly scheduled election. Most recently, of course, Democratic candidates in 2017-2018 special elections did much better than a weighted average of 2016 and 2012 presidential results in their states and districts, and Democrats wound up winning control of the House amid a historic blue wave. ....

Republicans can enjoy their wins tonight; with the two new Republicans taking their seats, they will have cut the Democrats’ House majority to 235-199. But early signs still point to another Democratic-leaning year in 2020 — just maybe not another “blue wave.”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-won-both-elections-in-north-carolina-but-its-not-all-bad-news-for-democrats/

:unsure: