Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

2020 Election

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I understood you.   Being a residence of a state can help one win that state in the election for President (Ok, it didn't help Gore in TN,  which as you may recall was pointed out by GWB supporters when the SC gave Florida, and thus the election to Bush).

This is why I mentioned Florida;  Haley moves to Florida in 2020.  That means by 2024 she has lived in the state over 3 years and that might be enough to pull the state in her favor in 2024.

Of course another option is to do what Hillary Clinton did; move to a state,  become the Senator, and then run for President.     Wouldn't work for Haley in Florida since she would have to beat two very popular GOP Senators in the GOP primary, in Scott and Rubio (assuming Rubio run for re-election in 2022 stead of waiting to run for President, yet again, in 2024).  

Anyhow, I'm sure there are other battleground states where Haley could try this carpetbagger type stunt.  Note: I only use the term carpetbagger since that is what many said Hillary was doing with moving to NY.

I see your point, but I don't think Haley has any plans to run for any office other than POTUS.  The two Senate seats from S.C. are sewed up with Graham and Tim Scott.  She appointed Scott to the Senate and being a black Republican makes him pretty difficult to defeat in S.C.

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

I see your point, but I don't think Haley has any plans to run for any office other than POTUS.  The two Senate seats from S.C. are sewed up with Graham and Tim Scott.  She appointed Scott to the Senate and being a black Republican makes him pretty difficult to defeat in S.C.

Also,  Haley wouldn't gain much, if anything,  by winning any office in S.C. since,  as you already noted, S.C. is highly likely to be won by any\all GOP candidates over a Dem in a Presidential election.

The trick for Haley will how she remains relevant,  politically,  until 2023,  if she has no national type position (House \ Senate).      Maybe the best way for Haley to remain relevant is to join Fox News.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

We are PROUD to endorse Mayor

for President, today, on behalf of our 700,000 veterans, military families and civilian supporters.

Pete has the experience to lead, and what it takes to beat Donald Trump!

Read more here: https://votevets.org/press/votevets'

:unsure:

As a veteran, very highly unlikely that I will vote for Buttigieg in the S.C. Dem primary.  Too  inexperienced and  will not appeal to independents and moderate Republicans in Nov 2020.  Would be much better if he ran for US Senate or governor  and proved he could win a state-wide race in IN.

Per Wikipedia:  "According to the VoteVets.org, the goal of the 501(c)(4) is to educate the American public on the war and military issues, and hold politicians accountable.   In February 2007, a VoteVets.org spokesman told The Washington Post that the group had 20,000 members, including 1,000 veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan'.   According to the group's website, the group has over 500,000 supporters.  The stated goal of the PAC is to put in Congress Afghanistan or Iraq war veterans who are critical of the execution of the war in Iraq."

"on behalf of our 700,000 veterans, military families and civilian supporters."  Not sure what VoteVets.com means by this.  There are 18.2 Million veterans in US today.

5 minutes ago, TheCid said:

As a veteran, very highly unlikely that I will vote for Buttigieg in the S.C. Dem primary.  Too  inexperienced and  will not appeal to independents and moderate Republicans in Nov 2020.  Would be much better if he ran for US Senate or governor  and proved he could win a state-wide race in IN.

Per Wikipedia:  "According to the VoteVets.org, the goal of the 501(c)(4) is to educate the American public on the war and military issues, and hold politicians accountable.   In February 2007, a VoteVets.org spokesman told The Washington Post that the group had 20,000 members, including 1,000 veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan'.   According to the group's website, the group has over 500,000 supporters.  The stated goal of the PAC is to put in Congress Afghanistan or Iraq war veterans who are critical of the execution of the war in Iraq."

"on behalf of our 700,000 veterans, military families and civilian supporters."  Not sure what VoteVets.com means by this.  There are 18.2 Million veterans in US today.

I also wouldn't vote for Mayor Pete in the Dem Primary here in CA.     But I would vote for him over Trump. 

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

You would vote for Trump over Buttigieg?   

I said I would not vote for Buttigieg in the S.C. Democratic Primary.  Not sure how I would vote in Nov 2020 if he is Dem nominee.  Since it wouldn't matter in S.C. probably would as a protest vote.

The GOPer governor of GA has appointed a slightly less right wing conservative to fill out the GA Senate seat that is soon to be vacated.  Trump had wanted a GA House member who is very pro-Trump to get the job, but the governor thought it might offend the suburban women and others. 

GA is a hot spot for 2020 as both Senate seats will be up for election.

39 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I said I would not vote for Buttigieg in the S.C. Democratic Primary.  Not sure how I would vote in Nov 2020 if he is Dem nominee.  Since it wouldn't matter in S.C. probably would as a protest vote.

Wow,  I'm too quick and so are you!   I edited my reply after I saw you were only talking about the Dem primary but you replied before I could make that change.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

The GOPer governor of GA has appointed a slightly less right wing conservative to fill out the GA Senate seat that is soon to be vacated.  Trump had wanted a GA House member who is very pro-Trump to get the job, but the governor thought it might offend the suburban women and others. 

GA is a hot spot for 2020 as both Senate seats will be up for election.

The Georgia contests will be interesting.    Major corporations like Coke are going to spend-what-it-takes to try to defeat any far-right GOP candidates since these guys are hurting their bottom-line.         If far-right GOPers win,,, well,  Coke just might move their headquarters.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Georgia contests will be interesting.    Major corporations like Coke are going to spend-what-it-takes to try to defeat any far-right GOP candidates since these guys are hurting their bottom-line.         If far-right GOPers win,,, well,  Coke just might move their headquarters.

You might know more about Coke than I do, but I can't see that.  Coke has a life-long link to Atlanta.

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

I read the link but it wasn't clear how this $10 million can be "donated";     E.g. isn't their a campaign limit of $5K per candidate?

Thus I assume the money isn't really being donated to actual House Democrats and thus being used directly by said candidates for ads etc...   but instead used for general anti-Trump ads in these House Dems districts.

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I read the link but it wasn't clear how this $10 million can be "donated";     E.g. isn't their a campaign limit of $5K per candidate?

Thus I assume the money isn't really being donated to actual House Democrats and thus being used directly by said candidates for ads etc...   but instead used for general anti-Trump ads in these House Dems districts.

Though it doesn't quite give the details to your query, this is from the article.   BTW, this is in reaction to the Republicans pledging the same amount in ads denouncing the democrats in these same districts.

Decisions about the targeting and messaging made possible by Bloomberg’s donation will be handled by House Majority PAC, the primary Democratic outside group for House races. In 2018, Bloomberg spent more than $100 million to help elect Democrats in the midterm elections, mostly through his own group, Independence USA PAC, which focused on House races.

22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe he can directly fund advertising and so forth as long as it is not given directly to the candidates' campaign funds.  Also, he can coordinate with the candidates's campaign committees.

He can definitely run negative ads about the Republican opponents and issues.

2020 Power Rankings: Here are the 15 people with the best shot at the VP nomination

Opinion    By The Ranking Committee    Read more »

The Ranking

POSITION POTENTIAL VP PICK
1. Kamala D. Harris
2. Stacey Abrams
3. Julián Castro
4. (TIE) Cory Booker
4. (TIE) Pete Buttigieg
6. Amy Klobuchar
7. Deval Patrick
8. Elizabeth Warren
9. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (Mich.)
10. (TIE) Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (Nev.)
10. (TIE) Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (N.M.)
12. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (Wis.)
13. (TIE) Gov. Gina Raimondo (R.I.)
13. (TIE) Pennsylvania AG Josh Shapiro
15. Sen. Chris Coons (Del.)

Also receiving votes: Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), Gov. Tony Evers (Wis.), Michael Bloomberg, Sen. Bob Casey Jr. (Pa.), Sen. Maggie Hassan (N.H.), Nikki Haley*

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not going to post the entire article. So there may be more balance by reading the entire thing.Business

Analysis

How consulting companies like McKinsey optimized American inequality

Two things tend to happen when businesses hire a management consultant: Stock performance rises and payroll falls.

Add to list
After weeks of demands from his critics for greater transparency about his fundraising and his past employment, presidential contender Pete Buttigieg has released the names of his clients during his stint as a consultant at McKinsey & Company. (Win Mcnamee/AFP/Getty Images) After weeks of demands from his critics for greater transparency about his fundraising and his past employment, presidential contender Pete Buttigieg has released the names of his clients during his stint as a consultant at McKinsey & Company. (Win Mcnamee/AFP/Getty Images)
Image without a caption
By 
Dec. 13, 2019 at 8:39 a.m. EST

Pete Buttigieg’s stint as a management consultant at McKinsey & Company has become a point of contention for the presidential hopeful, as it relates to his work for specific companies like Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, which fired hundreds of workers and raised premiums after bringing McKinsey on board.

But the larger issue is the very nature of management consulting firms; so much of their work “is about increasing investors’ share of profits by reducing labor’s share,” Anand Giridharadas, a former McKinsey consultant turned journalist and author, recently put it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

2020 Power Rankings: Here are the 15 people with the best shot at the VP nomination

Opinion    By The Ranking Committee    Read more »

The Ranking

POSITION POTENTIAL VP PICK
1. Kamala D. Harris
2. Stacey Abrams
3. Julián Castro
4. (TIE) Cory Booker
4. (TIE) Pete Buttigieg
6. Amy Klobuchar
7. Deval Patrick
8. Elizabeth Warren
9. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (Mich.)
10. (TIE) Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (Nev.)
10. (TIE) Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (N.M.)
12. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (Wis.)
13. (TIE) Gov. Gina Raimondo (R.I.)
13. (TIE) Pennsylvania AG Josh Shapiro
15. Sen. Chris Coons (Del.)

Also receiving votes: Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), Gov. Tony Evers (Wis.), Michael Bloomberg, Sen. Bob Casey Jr. (Pa.), Sen. Maggie Hassan (N.H.), Nikki Haley*

Are these supposed to be Democrats?  Nikki Haley is a Republican.  What is the asterisk by her name for?

Speaking of Nikki Haley, she had an opinion piece in Washington Post day or so ago defending her Fox News comments on the Confederate Battle Flag.  She is trying to dig herself out of a hole and not offend the anti-flag people, the GOPer base, the racist Republicans, Trumpists and so forth.  She apparently wants to position herself as a "moderate" Republican suitable for running for president in 2024.

I watched parts of the debates over removing the flag.  One of the most contentious issues in many years.  As I recall, all Dems voted to remove it and just barely enough GOPers to get the 2/3 vote necessary.  The GOP has a large majority in both S.C. house and senate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/nikki-haley-todays-climate-wouldnt-allow-us-to-remove-the-confederate-flag-in-south-carolina/2019/12/11/67373682-1c3c-11ea-8d58-5ac3600967a1_story.html

CNN is going to have a discussion with 10(?) of the Dem candidates over education issues.  Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Biden are in the more moderate area with an incremental approach.  Others appear to be in free college for all, tax everybody to pay for it and pay off existing student loans.

Should be interesting if they can really pin them down on the various subsidized college education plans and how to pay for them.

26 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Speaking of Nikki Haley, she had an opinion piece in Washington Post day or so ago defending her Fox News comments on the Confederate Battle Flag.  She is trying to dig herself out of a hole and not offend the anti-flag people, the GOPer base, the racist Republicans, Trumpists and so forth.  She apparently wants to position herself as a "moderate" Republican suitable for running for president in 2024.

I watched parts of the debates over removing the flag.  One of the most contentious issues in many years.  As I recall, all Dems voted to remove it and just barely enough GOPers to get the 2/3 vote necessary.  The GOP has a large majority in both S.C. house and senate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/nikki-haley-todays-climate-wouldnt-allow-us-to-remove-the-confederate-flag-in-south-carolina/2019/12/11/67373682-1c3c-11ea-8d58-5ac3600967a1_story.html

Didn't Haley signed the bill?     I.e. she didn't veto it.       

I ask because I wonder why a 2\3 vote would be "necessary".      E.g. is that a S.C. State Senate requirement before any bill is placed in-front of the Governor?

Note that CA has a 2\3 requirement but only for bills that have a tax increase (this was implemented by CA voters decades ago via an initiative and I'm glad for that since the CA state income tax rate I pay is already over 10%).

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't Haley signed the bill?     I.e. she didn't veto it.       

I ask because I wonder why a 2\3 vote would be "necessary".      E.g. is that a S.C. State Senate requirement before any bill is placed in-front of the Governor?

Note that CA has a 2\3 requirement but only for bills that have a tax increase (this was implemented by CA voters decades ago via an initiative and I'm glad for that since the CA state income tax rate I pay is already over 10%).

Haley signed the bill and met with the Republican caucus to lobby for it.   FYI:  her actual name is Nimrata Randhawa Haley, but she has gone by Nikki since a young child.  She married Michael Haley in 1996.  Her parents imigrated from India to Canada and then to the US before she was born.

The 2/3 vote is required for the removal of any "war" or similar memorial anywhere in the state that is on public property.  This was part of the compromise that was reached when the Confederate flag was moved from the top of the state capitol building to the location next to Confederate Memorial on state house grounds.  That happened several years ago.

• Thanks 1

Dr. Mark L. Hopkins, a fairly moderate conservative opinion columnist noted some optimistic points in US right now.

Chief for the elections is "the stock market, our primary economic indicator, has been up over 26,000.  Unemployment nationwide is below 4 percent. Any country in Europe would be pleased to have our economic indicators."

This does not bode well for the Democrats if they end up offending the few thousand voters that voted for Trump in 2016 in the areas that flipped the election.  And they may very well do it.   When Trump is found "not guilty" at the Senate trial, he and GOPers will capitalize on the finding of "Exonerated."  Add in the USMCA treaty success and the declining trade war with China.

https://www.siskiyoudaily.com/opinion/20191104/mark-l-hopkins-some-optimism-right-now-would-help

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Dr. Mark L. Hopkins, a fairly moderate conservative opinion columnist noted some optimistic points in US right now.

Chief for the elections is "the stock market, our primary economic indicator, has been up over 26,000.  Unemployment nationwide is below 4 percent. Any country in Europe would be pleased to have our economic indicators."

This does not bode well for the Democrats if they end up offending the few thousand voters that voted for Trump in 2016 in the areas that flipped the election.  And they may very well do it.   When Trump is found "not guilty" at the Senate trial, he and GOPers will capitalize on the finding of "Exonerated."  Add in the USMCA treaty success and the declining trade war with China.

https://www.siskiyoudaily.com/opinion/20191104/mark-l-hopkins-some-optimism-right-now-would-help

Yea,   this sums up my biggest fear as it relates to Trump winning re-election.  

The "big recession" wasn't that long ago and thus still fresh in the minds of many voters:   fear that a progressive like Warren will lead the US economy backwards,  (way backwards even).  

While such fear may be unfounded for multiple reasons,     James Carville's now famous The economy, stupid” may come back to haunt Dems.

• Like 1

I've been saying this for quite some time and this week Trump confirmed it at one of his rallies.  He floated the idea that he may not attend any of the 2020 debates.

Let's face it, is might be suicide if he did.  How is he going to answer all the questions about serious crimes that he has been dodging for so long.  He won't.  And he's not looking for new supporters anyway.  The playbook is to make the democrat candidate whomever that is more unlikable than him.  It's that simple.

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

I've been saying this for quite some time and this week Trump confirmed it at one of his rallies.  He floated the idea that he may not attend any of the 2020 debates.

Let's face it, is might be suicide if he did.  How is he going to answer all the questions about serious crimes that he has been dodging for so long.  He won't.  And he's not looking for new supporters anyway.  The playback is to make the democrat candidate whomever that is more unlikable than him.  It's that simple.

It makes sense for Trump to NOT debate the Dem nominee unless the topics are limited to the economy and domestic and foreign policy,  and not his conduct \ crimes.

Let's face it:   Unless the economy takes a major dive in 2020 (and the Fed Reserve isn't going to let that happen,  lowering the interest rate to 0.1 if needed) the Dem nominee has to show how Trump has failed,  especially in the area of foreign policy and his admins' handling of immigration and other domestic policy areas.

• Like 1