Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

2020 Election

42 minutes ago, TheCid said:

There is a world of difference between John McCain and Donald Trump as presidential contenders.  I voted for Obama, but I could very easily have voted for McCain simply because he had a long record showing exactly where he stood and had a long record of service to the country.  He was also a very honorable person.  Obama said a lot of good things, but had a sketchy record and little experience.

I think a lot of people who voted for Hillary Clinton and then for McCain probably believed McCain was more qualified and a known quantity.

As for Michael Moore, never have considered him as someone whose opinions I would respect.  In this case I think he misinterpreted the data based on his personal biases. 

And right or wrong, Hilary Clinton was viewed as toxic and not just by Sanders supporters so that cancels out your argument about McCain being a better alternative than Trump.

A lot of people voted for Trump because they wanted "change" and Hillary was not it.  At least that was what one young girl told me who up until that revelation I thought had some intelligence.

Mainers complaints about Susan Collins are quite interesting and not always obvious ...

10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

sc_2020-02-17_numbers.png

Recent polling

For clarity, East Carolina is in North Carolina.   I had never read or heard of East Carolina doing polling on S.C. voting.  There are universities in S.C. that also do polling.

In CNN's town hall last night Bernie Sanders spent the first five minutes attacking Mike Bloomberg.  The first question from the audience was Mike Bloomberg has stated he would support the nominee whoever he or she was - would you accept his money?  Anderson Cooper speculated that that might be 500 million.  Sanders would not answer the question.  When asked a third time he simply said that he didn't think that his campaign would need it.

Amy Klobachar and Pete Buttigieg also went after Bloomberg for bringing too much money into politics.

"Rules?  In a knife fight?" - Harvey Logan, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Voters have said the number one priority is to defeat Donald Trump.   And Donald Trump and the GOP have no problem with money.  

9781538733554_UnTrumpingAmericaHC-1.jpg?

Obama man and now author, Dan Pfeiffer was on CNN's New Day this morning.  Among other things he mentioned that the GOP is at an advantage because they see winning as an end in itself.  Mitch McConnell has no problem doing whatever he wants afterward.   Because they are in opposition to that the democrats have to offer something to voters otherwise they are seen as hypocrites.  Pfeiffer thinks the message has to be that Trump and the GOP are lying to people.  They are giving more wealth to the ultra rich and are going to pay for it on the backs of the middle class and the poor.

The GOP hare boing to spend hundreds of millions of dark money on the election.  Bloomberg's democrat competitors decry his money but without it (which is not dark BTW) are they going into a knife fight with a soup spoon?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Among other things he mentioned that the GOP is at an advantage because they see winning as an end in itself.

And the Dems are at a disadvantage because they don't know how to win.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

And the Dems are at a disadvantage because they don't know how to win.

I think that is what they are trying to say now.  The democrats are in pursuit of the perfect squeaky clean candidate to counter GOP corruption.  And just look.  Any blemish and the right (movie madness comes to mind) hops all over it and calls the democrats out for being hypocrites.  That is something the GOP doesn't even worry about.  They are the party who champion everyone's beefs.  We'll stand guard over your beef in return for power.  They don't need to provide hope or answers.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I think that is what they are trying to say now.  The democrats are in pursuit of the perfect squeaky clean candidate you counter GOP corruption.  And just look.  Any blemish and the right (movie madness comes to mind) hops all over it and calls the democrats out for being hypocrites.  That is something the GOP doesn't even worry about.  They are the party who champion everyone's beefs.  We'll stand guard over your beef in return for power.  They don't need to provide hope or answers.

So don't complain when the Democrats lose!

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

So don't complain when the Democrats lose!

I can complain about corruption and brainwashing the public into not recognizing it all I want, thank you.

• Like 1

Re:  They don't need to provide hope or answers.

Is this one of the reasons he WON?

220px-Barack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

• Like 1

One of the MAIN reasons Donald Trump won was his dog whistles to the racists, closeted and open, which couldn’t get over that an African American won.  Whether he also promised hope, Trump has only provided it to the ultra-wealthy.  The brain dead deplorables remain hopeful that Trump will bring back the 1950s, when everyone knew their “place”, and white men ruled.

24 minutes ago, hamradio said:

This is what the democrats are FORCED to offer as an alternative to  the Grim Reaper GOP Party.    The message worked for Obama and he won.  You are right there.  But the entire point in case you missed it is the handicap the democrats have by having to offer this.  The GOP is under no such handicap.  Why?  Because hope does not exist.  Fear rules the day.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Arturo said:

One of the MAIN reasons Donald Trump won was his dog whistles to the racists, closeted and open, which couldn’t get over that an African American won.  Whether he also promised hope, Trump has only provided it to the ultra-wealthy.  The brain dead deplorables remain hopeful that Trump will bring back the 1950s, when everyone knew their “place”, and white men ruled.

The MAIN reason Trump won was that the Dems nominated Hillary Clinton.      She had way too much negative baggage and was disliked by way too may voters, accumulated over the years leading up to the election.    Add to this the inept handing of e-mails and it was more than just Trump supporters that were willing to chant lock-her-up.

This is why I believe Mayor Peat and Amy K have the best chance;  little prior history for Trump to attack.    (unlike the rest).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

And you talk about the past is not coming back--

Believe it or not, in the 1950s my grade school had a coal-burning furnace.

And they used to burn trash on the playground until a student was seriously burned.

Indeed, fortunately, those days are never coming back.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And you talk about the past is not coming back--

Believe it or not, in the 1950s my grade school had a coal-burning furnace.

And they used to burn trash on the playground until a student was seriously burned.

Indeed, fortunately, those days are never coming back.

My old high school burned trash in the back, use to stand by it to warm up on a cold day.  Janitor was very nice.

The thing it was burned in looked a lot like this only 2X larger...

clean-bhutan-1.jpg

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

My old high school burned trash in the back, use to stand by it to warm up on a cold day.  Janitor was very nice.

The thing it was burned in looked a lot like this only 2X larger...

clean-bhutan-1.jpg

No, ours was one of those rounded open trash burners like you see bums warming themselves in front of in the old noir movies.

Our janitor was really nice too. People said that he was special because he was the only one in town who would agree to stoke that coal furnace!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

No, ours was one of those rounded open trash burners like you see bums warming themselves in front of in the old noir movies.

Our janitor was really nice too. People said that he was special because he was the only one in town who would agree to stoke that coal furnace!

Some things never change  :lol:.

giphy.gif

...modern version.

51kiD4qJamL._AC_.jpg

71lmIyFXTGL._AC_SY450_.jpg

After the debate, Biden and Bloomberg are leading in polls.

sc_2020-02-20_numbers.png

fl_2020-02-20_numbers.png

https://www.axios.com/2020-election-elizabeth-warren-black-future-action-fund-babadf81-92fa-4c5d-b977-f5d5c3ad9861.html

Black activist group gives its first presidential endorsement to Elizabeth Warren

Elizabeth Warren is getting an endorsement from an influential activist group for black communities.

The state of play: Black to the Future Action Fund, a think tank and political organizing group, was formed by Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza. This is their first endorsement of a presidential candidate, though they've endorsed down-ballot Democrats like Stacey Abrams and Lucy McBath.

What they're saying: Garza told Axios that the group likes Warren's "analysis of how power operates in this country" and have decided that she is the best vehicle to help shift power in the direction of our communities."

• They recently released a 6-part black agenda for 2020 candidates and other elected officials to adopt, and Garza said Warren is "the person who we think will best help black communities."
  • They say it reflects the most common concerns they heard come up within black communities around the country and across the political spectrum during a 2018 listening tour with more than 30,000 black people.

Warren previously got the endorsement of Black Womxn For, a group of more than 100 black female activists. She's in 4th place in national 2020 Democratic polls.

• Thanks 1

Tom Steyer claims that he is polling well in Nevada and South Carolina where he is campaigning.  He claims to be in second place!   Those State polls were not included in the criteria for making the debates

He had interesting things to say about Bloomberg.  According to Steyer, if Bloomberg wishes to be considered a democrat he has to embrace a wealth tax just as he himself has done..