Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

2020 Election

·
12m

There aren't many digital literacy classes for older adults nationwide. So, a workshop called "How to Spot Fake News" is teaching these folks how to fact check claims online — and identify disinformation.
==========================================================

With An Election On The Horizon, Older Adults Get Help Spotting Fake News

.........a workshop sponsored by the nonprofit Senior Planet called "How to Spot Fake News." As instructed, they pull up a reputable fact-checking site like Snopes or FactCheck.org and, within a few minutes, identify the meme is peddling fake news.

"It's right there!" 86-year-old Marlene Cianci tells the class. "Just a two-step thing and there it was!"

........coaches participants about the difference between propaganda, deep fakes and sponsored content. And she runs through a checklist for evaluating information online: Who wrote the information? What's the source of a claim? Does the author have an agenda?

"This topic is political," Clark says. "And we form our opinions throughout our lifetime, and we get mired in our opinions as we grow older. And it's not about being someone that can't change their mind, it's not those stereotypes of older adults."..........

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/26/809224742/with-an-election-on-the-horizon-older-adults-get-help-spotting-fake-news?utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

• Haha 1

Former President Obama is demanding a pro-Trump group stop airing a "despicable" ad
that uses a recording of Obama’s voice to attack Joe Biden
— a rare intervention in a race that Obama has largely avoided, so far.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I listened to this, but found it confusing.  Appears he believes the "establishment" controls the Dem Party and the party has to work to permit more participation.   Not sure what the woman's point is.  

Regardless I didn't see how it related to upcoming election.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

I listened to this, but found it confusing.  Appears he believes the "establishment" controls the Dem Party and the party has to work to permit more participation.   Not sure what the woman's point is.  

Regardless I didn't see how it related to upcoming election.

Chomsky was saying that Bloomberg and the "centrist" wing are more likely to win in the election. Chomsky says "You have to deal with the world on how it exist not on how you want it to exist"

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8HOTChSARGX7_PrauYchHTm-_BqWZMzVya_y-l_q

"I know Joe ... We know Joe ... and most importantly, Joe knows Joe"  😃

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tom Steyer, a billionaire activist, started Nextgen America, a PAC that has contributed $230 million to Democrats in the 2014, 2016 and 2018 campaign cycles. Read more about Steyer and find out where he stands on key issues.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tom Steyer, a billionaire activist, started Nextgen America, a PAC that has contributed $230 million to Democrats in the 2014, 2016 and 2018 campaign cycles. Read more about Steyer and find out where he stands on key issues.

Steyer is running a lot of ads;  maybe he can beat Sanders or at least get enough delegates so that Sanders can't win on that first   no "super delegates allowed",  vote at the convention.

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Steyer is running a lot of ads;  maybe he can beat Sanders or at least get enough delegates so that Sanders can't win on that first   no "super delegates allowed",  vote at the convention.

I thought he did well in the town hall the other night.   I hope he gets 15% in SC.  

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I thought he did well in the town hall the other night.   I hope he gets 15% in SC.  

Monmouth University shows Biden-36%; Sanders-16% and Steyer-15%.  This is comparable to Clemson University's Biden-35%; Steyer-17% and Sanders-13%.  I prefer the Clemson polling.

Of course Trump is in Charleston tonight to rally the GOPers to vote for Sanders, as are many, many Republican leaders in the state.

• Like 1

There seems to be some question as to how Steyer's Beneficial Bank operated its loan department, specifically on auto loans.  Questions or rates as high as 27% and many filings against borrowers who defaulted.  The bank made loans to people with low scores.  Steyer claims the bank was a non-profit.

This may come back to haunt him later on.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Chomsky was saying that Bloomberg and the "centrist" wing are more likely to win in the election. Chomsky says "You have to deal with the world on how it exist not on how you want it to exist"

That is an uncharacteristically enlightened statement for Chomsky!

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Rallygoers said they are nervous about Sanders and his impact on down-ballot races.

6LQPRKS2MUI6VEAA6PH75YRQGY.jpg

As well they should be.  However, predictions are that she may not make it to Super Tuesday depending on S.C. results.  I prefer her, but you have to deal with the race as it is.

• Haha 1

Where was the rally held, in a Burger King. I don't know why any candidate wouldn't hold on to Super

Tuesday as it's only three days away. 

Breaking News: Pete Buttigieg is dropping out of the 2020 race.

He rose to the top tier of the Democratic presidential field but struggled to win broad support.

:o
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Breaking News: Pete Buttigieg is dropping out of the 2020 race.

He rose to the top tier of the Democratic presidential field but struggled to win broad support.

:o

·
21m

Buttigieg to reporters: "We are making a change in our travel plans and traveling to South Bend rather than to Texas.

I'm gonna be making an announcement there about the future of the campaign." -

:unsure:

I now wonder if Buttigieg will endorse Biden tonight.

He needs to get the most out of this suspension of his campaign as he can.

And Biden supporter and establishment Democrat Bakari Sellers saying anyone in this race not named Sanders or Biden is in it for "ego" may be telling.

PS/ IOW, big attacks against anyone not named Sanders or Biden are coming, and fast and hard—not just from the DNC, but media.

All Biden had to do was win one primary (largely via one endorsement) and it became an imperative, apparently,
for everyone to make way for him.

Bizarre.

"............It isn't clear who Buttigieg's supporters will now back. Recent polling by Morning Consult found that they split between various other candidates as their second choice with no clear alternative:

21 percent picked Sanders, 19 percent picked Biden, 19 percent picked Warren and 17 percent picked Bloomberg.........

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/democratic-presidential-candidate-pete-buttigieg-end-campaign-n1146646

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

"............It isn't clear who Buttigieg's supporters will now back. Recent polling by Morning Consult found that they split between various other candidates as their second choice with no clear alternative:

21 percent picked Sanders, 19 percent picked Biden, 19 percent picked Warren and 17 percent picked Bloomberg.........

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/democratic-presidential-candidate-pete-buttigieg-end-campaign-n1146646

Be interesting to see how Buttigieg will do on Super Tuesday if his name is still on the ballots.  Personally I find it confusing that 21% of Buttigieg's supporters would likely turn to Sanders or 19% to Warren.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Be interesting to see how Buttigieg will do on Super Tuesday if his name is still on the ballots.  Personally I find it confusing that 21% of Buttigieg's supporters would likely turn to Sanders or 19% to Warren.

Well here in CA 20% of the voting has already taken place and of thus all those that have dropped out in the last few days are on the mail in ballots,  as will as the ballots that have been available the last 8 days (since voting starts at voting centers 10 days before the final day,  this Tuesday).

But yea,    how many wishing for an alternative to Sanders will know NOT vote for a moderate that has dropped out. 

• Thanks 1

The Washington Post
The Post Most
Presented by Mastercard

69724cfb65f0d81eafe0d49d8527be49-6SPUUUS2WUI6VDX5B6IEXXMAK4-600-0-70-8.jpg

(Salwan Georges/The Washington Post) 

How Trump and Sanders turned populist rage into political power

Starkly different versions of populism are now taking hold globally. On the left, fury toward corporations and wealthy interests amid inequality. On the right, nationalism.

By Sean Sullivan and Robert Costa   Read more »

3 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:
The Washington Post
The Post Most
Presented by Mastercard

Starkly different versions of populism are now taking hold globally. On the left, fury toward corporations and wealthy interests amid inequality. On the right, nationalism.

This weeks The Economist has a similar article and it is the cover-story:    American Nightmare:    Could it come to this?      ("this" being a Bernie and Trump 2020 contest).

20200229_cna1280.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:
The Washington Post
The Post Most
Presented by Mastercard

Very interesting. The catch is this: In America, the populism of the left never wins elections. The populism of the right often does.

• Thanks 1