Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Can I Play That?"

This past Saturday, March 09, 2019, "Saturday Night Live" had a very amusing AND insightful sketch called "Can I Play That?" which was about a game show where thespian contestants had to answer questions, relating to who is an appropriate choice for a role.

The host stated at the beginning, that he would describe a role in an upcoming movie, and then a contestant would have to answer whether they would be an acceptable choice.

I think the first question used as an example to describe the game was "Would Will Smith be an appropriate choice to play the Williams sisters in an upcoming movie?".

Though exceedingly funny to watch as the three contestants debated the merits of so many actors being chosen for roles, I think the skit brought up some real challenges to the acting profession, movies also and society in general.

If you did not see the skit, I think you can find it by searching NBC's website for Saturday Night Live, March 09,2019 videos listed under the title, "Can I Play That" and then lend your comments if you have any.

If you did see the skit, what were your thoughts on the premise of the issue.

Can only leprechauns play leprechauns [just kidding for the HDSOC] can only Native Americans play Native Americans and after seeing Buddy Hackett play one I think I must agree, and so on...

• Haha 1

Glad you brought this up, CG.

Yeah, I saw that skit the other night and thought it was one of the funnier and more biting ones SNL has had for quite a while. I also thought Idris Elba did an excellent job at hosting the show.

Especially loved the part when Kenan Thompson as host of that "game show" said that its sponsor was Twitter.

(...and the closing line about who could play James Bond and Elba then saying he could was really clever, considering that his name has been bandied around for some time now as possibly being the first black James Bond)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dargo, being that you are the most urbane gent hereabouts, with an engaging wit and charm to spare, I think only you could say to the James Bond role..."I Can Play That".

And this is not just specious flattery! But you can put me in the will...

So glad someone else saw the skit, by the way, and I so agree, it was one of the funnier and more biting ones they've done recently. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

This past Saturday, March 09, 2019, "Saturday Night Live" had a very amusing AND insightful sketch called "Can I Play That?" which was about a game show where thespian contestants had to answer questions, relating to who is an appropriate choice for a role.

The host stated at the beginning, that he would describe a role in an upcoming movie, and then a contestant would have to answer whether they would be an acceptable choice.

I think the first question used as an example to describe the game was "Would Will Smith be an appropriate choice to play the Williams sisters in an upcoming movie?".

Though exceedingly funny to watch as the three contestants debated the merits of so many actors being chosen for roles, I think the skit brought up some real challenges to the acting profession, movies also and society in general.

If you did not see the skit, I think you can find it by searching NBC's website for Saturday Night Live, March 09,2019 videos listed under the title, "Can I Play That" and then lend your comments if you have any.

If you did see the skit, what were your thoughts on the premise of the issue.

Can only leprechauns play leprechauns [just kidding for the HDSOC] can only Native Americans play Native Americans and after seeing Buddy Hackett play one I think I must agree, and so on...

All actors must be genome-classified so they are only cast for genome-matching parts.   Of course that would require genome testing on non-fictional historical characters - oh, wait their dead,,,  well lets dig them up,  because we need to get this right!    Oh, and for fictional characters -  the author of the character gets to decide if an actor has the right genome.

Of course I'm cracking wise (but some activist may think otherwise):   to me the only 'requirement' is that an actor comes off as authentic.     

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

All actors must be genome-classified so they are only cast for genome-matching parts.   Of course that would require genome testing on non-fictional historical characters - oh, wait their dead,,,  well lets dig them up,  because we need to get this right!    Oh, and for fictional characters -  the author of the character gets to decide if an actor has the right genome.

Of course I'm cracking wise (but some activist may think otherwise):   to me the only 'requirement' is that an actor comes off as authentic.     

Good point and sound position.

Waiting to see if there is another side with strong beliefs on this topic. Thanks!

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Oh, and for fictional characters -  the author of the character gets to decide if an actor has the right genome.

Not always a good idea, if we're talking about JK Rowling and Harry Potter decisions.  ("Sure, of course Hermione can be black!...That's why she's so sensitive about prejudice!")

And I'll trade the entire cast of "Crazy Rich Asians" for five minutes of Joel Grey in "Remo Williams: the Adventure Begins".  :D

7 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Dargo, being that you are the most urbane gent hereabouts, with an engaging wit and charm to spare, I think only you could say to the James Bond role..."I Can Play That".

And this is not just specious flattery! But you can put me in the will...

So glad someone else saw the skit, by the way, and I so agree, it was one of the funnier and more biting ones they've done recently. 

Thank you!

Thanks for the vote of confidence here CG, but there'd be two reasons I couldn't play James Bond.

The first being that I'm not British (I abhor their use of the superfluous 'u' over there, ya know ;) ) and the second being that considering I just celebrated my 67th birthday yesterday, I'd be a little too long-in-the-tooth to play Agent 007 now days, also.

However, considering just the other day at a local convenience store, I had yet another occurrence of someone saying to me that I look a lot like a certain other actor who memorably played another cinematic secret agent in a couple of movies from the 1960s, an American one in this case, I COULD maybe successfully put off the role of Derek Flint, perhaps?!

(...but once again, a much older Derek Flint of course, and one who has been in retirement from the spy game for a few years)

;)