Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Take a Walk on the Wild Side

No, this is not about your meeting up with Lou Reed at a film fest.

Name a movie that took you to places beyond your wildest dreams, depending on what the criteria is that you use for defining the word "wild".

Remember, it does not have to be triple X-rated but it's okay if it is. For some viewers, "The Wizard of Oz" could qualify, or "Fritz the Cat", or "Fantasia" or "In the Realm of the Senses" or even "The Angry Red Planet".

I'll start with Walerian Borwczyk's "The Beast" from 1975.

Next?

Traces of Death - A cheap compilation video made to compete with the better known Faces of Death series, this was comprised of all-too-real news clips and film bits showing actual maiming and death, from on-screen suicides to the aftermath of terrorist attacks, car crashes, executions, and more unsavory stuff. It was something that one cannot "unsee", as much as one would wish. I don't suppose it would be as mind-blowing now, but in the pre-internet days it was perhaps the most disturbing thing out there.

Either that or The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

Some wisdom I can quote in reference to this: "one looks 'into' a good movie, one merely looks 'at' a television screen". But in my case, not much of either.

I can't really 'gush' in answer to the question. If I attend a movie at my 'go-to' repertoire theater in Manhattan, then that is where I am; that's the experience. Getting there on the subway train and getting back. Hassling with crowds. Paying for my ticket and finding my seat. The 'plex screen is only about 25' wide and I always sit in the last row so I am sixty rows away. Its okay--I'm usually there to 'study' something, (assess, learn, analyze) rather than to be transported away anywhere.

Now at home, if I watch a movie on my stupendous 31" INCH square curved-screen 'Magnavox' (blown-glass, 65 lb. CRT tube) television housed in the bottom ledge of my clothes wardrobe under my work shirts---well then, home is the place where I am watching the TV. I rarely haul it out; I prefer to be busy doing something. Anything.

I guess I just don't consider watching anything on any screen, being very wild. Even though I've seen some amazing movies, these days I'm just kinda disgusted by media, media, media all the time, nonstop media. I'm world-weary, like Noel Coward says. Rather be in ...oh, Glacier National Park or someplace!

• Sad 1

Return to Oz (1985) 

A sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" done by Disney, no less. I watched this for the first time a couple years back around the age of 18 or 19, and I was... almost terrified. The film starts out with Dorothy (somehow several years younger than she was in the original) getting taken to an insane asylum by her "beloved" Auntie Em. Shock therapy is involved (or, rather, the implications of shock therapy), and Dorothy travels back to Oz, but it's definitely not the Oz audiences know and love. It's a horror-fest for children (so to speak). There's a headless queen who captures/kills young women, and uses their heads for her own... I could go on, but I'm scaring myself as I type this...

• Like 1

Brought to mind because of the previously mentioned The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz films (and while I know there are a few who believe the following John Boorman film is one of his best, but I'm not one of them), I'll now suggest for consideration to this thread's premise, the wild but mostly just plain weird as all hell movie...

19016364.jpg

• Like 3

I often get John Boorman and John Milius mixed up. I admire the talents of both but one of them --can't recall which--is that truly kind of obstreperous rhino that will throw his weight around when affronted. He once threatened to track down and assault one of my favorite movie reviewers when that reviewer failed to praise one of his works. It would have been epic, because this particular reviewer was very capable of handling himself and when he heard the rumor that he might be accosted, chirruped, "Great! Hope he gets in touch with me personally about my viewpoint, I'm really looking forward to it!"

• Haha 1

That sounds more like Milius, with his exaggerated machismo demeanor and "manly-man" posturing. I think he an entertaining kook, and has worked on several movies that I liked (Apocalypse Now, Conan the Barbarian, the '73 version of Dillinger with Warren Oates). Milius was a compatriot of Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas and the California film-school crowd.

I like the British Boorman as well, but don't know much about him personally or his personality.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Some wisdom I can quote in reference to this: "one looks 'into' a good movie, one merely looks 'at' a television screen". But in my case, not much of either.

I can't really 'gush' in answer to the question. If I attend a movie at my 'go-to' repertoire theater in Manhattan, then that is where I am; that's the experience. Getting there on the subway train and getting back. Hassling with crowds. Paying for my ticket and finding my seat. The 'plex screen is only about 25' wide and I always sit in the last row so I am sixty rows away. Its okay--I'm usually there to 'study' something, (assess, learn, analyze) rather than to be transported away anywhere.

Now at home, if I watch a movie on my stupendous 31" INCH square curved-screen 'Magnavox' (blown-glass, 65 lb. CRT tube) television housed in the bottom ledge of my clothes wardrobe under my work shirts---well then, home is the place where I am watching the TV. I rarely haul it out; I prefer to be busy doing something. Anything.

I guess I just don't consider watching anything on any screen, being very wild. Even though I've seen some amazing movies, these days I'm just kinda disgusted by media, media, media all the time, nonstop media. I'm world-weary, like Noel Coward says. Rather be in ...oh, Glacier National Park or someplace!

Oh, my, my...we certainly don't want this general malaise that is overtaking you to end up like what overcame George Sanders, Sarge!

His goodbye to a cruel world went something like this, or actually exactly like this:

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

Might I suggest an infusion of some fine Lubitsch or Sturges comedies to raise your endorphin levels as we would not want to lose such a witty and acerbic poster from our milieu. Or try a dose of some W.C. Fields fare like his short "The Dentist" to revive your spirits aided with some Guinness?

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Return to Oz (1985) 

A sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" done by Disney, no less. I watched this for the first time a couple years back around the age of 18 or 19, and I was... almost terrified. The film starts out with Dorothy (somehow several years younger than she was in the original) getting taken to an insane asylum by her "beloved" Auntie Em. Shock therapy is involved (or, rather, the implications of shock therapy), and Dorothy travels back to Oz, but it's definitely not the Oz audiences know and love. It's a horror-fest for children (so to speak). There's a headless queen who captures/kills young women, and uses their heads for her own... I could go on, but I'm scaring myself as I type this...

I have never seen this but now I want to, so thanks, N&N!

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Brought to mind because of the previously mentioned The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz films (and while I know there are a few who believe the following John Boorman film is one of his best, but I'm not one of them), I'll now suggest for consideration to this thread's premise, the wild but mostly just plain weird as all hell movie...

19016364.jpg

Now this film I have seen and totally enjoy since any film promoting a non-procreation discipline in society is great in my book.

I do think it is seen best though when one turns the sound off, like when watching TWOO while playing Pink Floyd's music. I suggest that one turn off the sound to "Zardoz" and take a couple of Sandoz tablets and they will have a super wild experience, especially if they have strobe lights above their big screen to illuminate all the scenes with Sean Connery.

Thanks, Darg!

• Haha 1