Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June Schedule is Up! Jane Powell SOTM


Recommended Posts

Star of the Month: Jane Powell

Other Star Tributes: Alice Faye & Don Ameche; Patty Duke.

Spotlight: WWII Combat Films

Special Theme: Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame

Special Theme: Counter Culture of 1969

Plus: Father's Day; Treasures from the Disney Vault; Billy Wilder; LGBT/Stonewall

Four nights are To Be Announced...but I think those nights are probably for this year's online course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

I looked thru June's schedule twice and I don't see the star tribute to Alice Faye and Don Ameche. Which day/night is it on?

There are two Faye-Ameche flicks scheduled for the 2nd of June.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 5 Saturdays this June so that means 5 Max Fleischer Popeye cartoons!

"Protek The Weakerest" on June 1

"Fowl Play" on June 8

"Let's Celebrake" on June 15 (featuring Olive Oyl's grandma)

"Learn Polikeness" on June 22

"The House Builder-Upper" on June 29

All these shorts from 1937 and 1938 are so good --- filled with music, wonderful sight gags and sotto voce remarks by Jack Mercer and Mae Questel.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but if pressed I would pick "Learn Polikeness," where Olive forces Popeye to attend Professor Bluteau's School of Etiquette ("for a little dough you can be well bred" ).

Popeye-LEARN-POLIKENESS.jpg 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am finally getting a chance to actually look at the new schedule! I've only seen a handful of Jane Powell films, so this could be an interesting spotlight.  If she's up to it, it'd be really cool if TCM could get Jane Powell to help host her spotlight.  Powell is a native Oregonian like me!

Noir Alley

6/1 The Asphalt Jungle

6/8 Nora Prentiss

6/15 Pickup on South Street

6/22 Shadow on the Wall

6/29 On Dangerous Ground

 

6/2

That Night in Rio

You Can't Have Everything looks interesting.  I've heard of the Ritz Brothers, but have never seen them in action.

I'm looking forward to the Alice Faye/Don Ameche feature.  I like Ameche and his films aren't played often on TCM. I also don't think I've ever seen any Carmen Miranda film and she seems to have popped up a lot with Ameche and Faye.  

6/3

I'm curious about the "Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame" series.

Breathless.  I've always wanted to see this movie.  

6/4

Zou Zou.  I've also never seen Josephine Baker in a film, so this looks like it could be interesting.

6/5

I love musicals, so I'd probably watch all of the Jane Powell films.

6/6 

I can't say I'm excited about the WWII film series.  I believe it is the 75th anniversary of D-Day this year, so the series makes sense.  I like the WWII films that take place on the domestic side, or the ones that do have war, but feature a romantic angle that unfolds against the backdrop of the war.  The straight combat films I find boring, but depending on who is in the film, I may be convinced to watch.

6/8

Nora Prentiss. I own this film, but this is a great movie and I look forward to hearing Eddie Muller's comments on it.  6/8 appears to be an Ann Sheridan evening, which I wholeheartedly support.  I would be curious to know what film they're trying to procure for the 5pm slot on this day.  It still says TBA.

6/9 

The Patty Duke evening looks interesting, I'm disappointed that they didn't select Valley of the Dolls, but I own it on Criterion, so I can make my own Patty Duke evening.  Lol.

6/10

Hollow Triumph looks interesting. It's a Joan Bennett film that I haven't seen.

6/14

My second favorite short film, The Wonderful World of Tupperware !

6/15

Pickup on South Street.  This is a great movie.  Nice selection for Noir Alley. 

6/17

The Glass Key.  I've been wanting to see this film again for quite some time.

6/22

My birthday! I will be camping this day, but I will record the Noir Alley feature, Shadow on the Wall.

6/25

Disney Vault.  The Moonspinners!! I love this movie, I already own it, so I won't record it, but YAY!

6/26

Eleanor Parker birthday tribute. I've seen most of these, but I'm interested in The Seventh Sin and The Last Ride.

6/30

The Claudia double feature! I've been wanting to see this films since I created a Dorothy McGuire SOTM schedule in the last Programming Challenge! This is the highlight of the month for me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first saw that Jane Powell was Star of the Month, I figured they'd just be rounding up the usual suspects, but I was really happy to see some of the choices. The 26th is the night I'm waiting for, with films she made after leaving MGM. The Girl Most Likely is a fun musical she made for RKO with Cliff Robertson, Keith Andes and Kaye Ballard; TCM has shown it within the last few years, but it doesn't show up often. The Female Animal (1958) was Hedy Lamarr's last film and Jane plays her daughter in a love triangle with her mother and George Nader. A very atypical role for Jane in a Universal soap opera. I've only seen it once (on AMC years ago) but I remember it being trashy fun. The one I've never even heard of is Enchanted Island (1958). Lo and behold, it's based on Herman Melville's first novel, Typee, about American sailors who desert ship in the South Seas. Jane plays a native girl, so I'm getting squeamish already, but Melville is one of my favorite writers so I definitely won't miss it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! Looking forward to that! Was too young at the time to see it. Not sure it even played in my town as Fox dropped it once it bombed in its initial engagements. Definitely over night hours fare!

I doubt it's ever played on tv except for HBO type stations. Maybe not even those!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WOW! Looking forward to that! Was too young at the time to see it. Not sure it even played in my town as Fox dropped it once it bombed in its initial engagements. Definitely over night hours fare!

I doubt it's ever played on tv except for HBO type stations. Maybe not even those!

Yeah, HBO might have aired it in the past of Cinemax. After all Cinemax was showing the other X-rated Fox film of 1970 Beyond the Valley of the Dolls in their on demand section for months (from last summer to early this year)

 

And Myra is late night. It's taking the Underground slot on June 28th.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yeah, HBO might have aired it in the past of Cinemax. After all Cinemax was showing the other X-rated Fox film of 1970 Beyond the Valley of the Dolls in their on demand section for months (from last summer to early this year)

 

And Myra is late night. It's taking the Underground slot on June 28th.

I've never thought of the movie as a failure, though mistakes were definitely made. Compared to the book, the character is definitely Myra Lite. As written, she was an unstoppable life force whose mission was to realign the sexes to ensure world peace, using the films of Hollywood's golden age as her road map.  In the movie she's more a madcap type with pithy asides about changing times and styles. But the neutered Myra works in her own cartoony way and I definitely do not fault Raquel Welch for the movie's failures. She apparently signed on with the expectation that she would play both Myra and Myron, a challenging prospect for a sex symbol which she was ready to embrace...….Then they got "creative" with casting and reneged on that deal. Non-actor and all-around dud Rex Reed made Myron so blasé and unfocused that the movie definitely started off on the wrong foot. Then the stunt casting went into overdrive when Mae West was added, creating a giant black hole into which the whole movie practically disappears. The casting coup which actually worked, in my opinion, was John Huston as Myra's Uncle Buck Loner, head of a new age dramatic academy which has to be seen to be believed.

The whole reputation for raunch basically comes from one pivotal scene, controversial even today, where Myra rapes (There's no way around using that word.) a symbolic male stud. It was what made the book seem unfilmable at first and it's one of the enduring images from the film to this day. But as much as I wrestle with some of Gore Vidal's ideas for this story, I can't dismiss the movie as a whole. It's flashy and clever in may ways and watching it is a kind of giddy thrill, especially for movie lovers like we are. There's a liberal use of classic film clips as ironic commentary and to underscore some of the dialogue, a fun narrative device which peppers the movie with lots of little surprises.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Mae West's character in the book was just a minor character. She was blown up to almost equal star status in the film. (Sadly, I heard many of her more outrageous lines,all written by Mae, were cut). I think this was Farrah's movie debut (playing Myra's "conquest"'s girlfriend.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The month's themes:

1    tba
2    alice faye & don ameche
3    hollywood hair hall of fame
4    counter culture of 1969

5    star of the month jane powell
6    spotlight: wwii combat
7    based on booth tarkington
8    tba
9    patty duke
10  hollywood hair hall of fame
11  counter culture of 1969
12  star of the month jane powell
13  spotlight: wwii combat
14  girls' night
15  tba
16  father's day
17  hollywood hair hall of fame
18  counter culture of 1969
19  star of the month jane powell
20  spotlight: wwii combat
21  billy wilder in paris
22  tba
23  tenderfeet
24  hollywood hair hall of fame
25  treasures from the disney vault
26  star of the month jane powell
27  spotlight: wwii combat
28  stonewall
29  tba
30  claudia double feature

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Star of the Month: Jane Powell

Other Star Tributes: Alice Faye & Don Ameche; Patty Duke.

Spotlight: WWII Combat Films

Special Theme: Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame

Special Theme: Counter Culture of 1969

Plus: Father's Day; Treasures from the Disney Vault; Billy Wilder; LGBT/Stonewall

Four nights are To Be Announced...but I think those nights are probably for this year's Ball University course.

All the TBA dates are Saturdays. Not sure I'd recommend scheduling the course on Saturday nights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

All the TBA dates are Saturdays. Not sure I'd recommend scheduling the course on Saturday nights.

Maybe it's something else. There are a few TBA dates in May too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The month's themes:

1    tba
2    alice faye & don ameche
3    hollywood hair hall of fame
4    counter culture of 1969

5    star of the month jane powell
6    spotlight: wwii combat
7    based on booth tarkington
8    tba
9    patty duke
10  hollywood hair hall of fame
11  counter culture of 1969
12  star of the month jane powell
13  spotlight: wwii combat
14  girls' night
15  tba
16  father's day
17  hollywood hair hall of fame
18  counter culture of 1969
19  star of the month jane powell
20  spotlight: wwii combat
21  billy wilder in paris
22  tba
23  tenderfeet
24  hollywood hair hall of fame
25  treasures from the disney vault
26  star of the month jane powell
27  spotlight: wwii combat
28  stonewall
29  tba
30  claudia double feature

June 30th Claudia double feature might be a TCM premier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, somebody's gotta tell me. The Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame? For four nights. Is it standout 'dos over the years (Veronica Lake, etc.) or maybe the evolution of certain stars' coiffures from era to era or film to film? Or is it focused more on the technicians and hairdressers who make it happen, like a night of Sidney Guilaroff for example? I'm not making fun. It could be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougieB said:

OK, somebody's gotta tell me. The Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame? For four nights. Is it standout 'dos over the years (Veronica Lake, etc.) or maybe the evolution of certain stars' coiffures from era to era or film to film? Or is it focused more on the technicians and hairdressers who make it happen, like a night of Sidney Guilaroff for example? I'm not making fun. It could be good.

Yes, it seems to be an excuse to show films with Veronica Lake, Shirley Temple and others. Probably tied in with a new book..?

They've chosen THE LITTLE PRINCESS for Temple, because it's in the public domain. But they should have rented CURLY TOP from Fox, since it would be more in keeping with this theme.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it seems to be an excuse to show films with Veronica Lake, Shirley Temple and others. Probably tied in with a new book..?

They've chosen THE LITTLE PRINCESS for Temple, because it's in the public domain. But they should have rented CURLY TOP from Fox, since it would be more in keeping with this theme.

Ah! Of course that makes sense, a book tie-in. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Ah! Of course that makes sense, a book tie-in. Thanks.

Yes, it has to be a book tie-in, otherwise this would have just been a theme for one evening. But they're doing four weeks of it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...