Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June Schedule is Up! Jane Powell SOTM

speedracer5

On 3/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I think you mean Ball State University.

You should get the name of the school correct if you're going to post about it.

Didn't Letterman go to Ball State? I have a feeling he would not mind his alma mater being called "Ball University" being that he is such a cut-up.

Personally I would rather say I went to Ball University than Ball State, which sounds like all of Indiana looks like a ball but then that's me.

But you are certainly right that this is a major snafu to leave out a word in a university name, because how awful would it be to call Notre Dame, just Dame College or Wake Forest, just Wake University...agreed?

And calling NYU just New University should be a crime punishable by death on the gallows I think...

On 3/11/2019 at 8:01 PM, TopBilled said:

Four nights are To Be Announced...but I think those nights are probably for this year's online course.

Saturday nights in May and June are all showing TBA in the 8:00 EST timeslot. TCM is using Saturday nights in April for a series they're calling 'The Best of The Essentials' for their 25th anniversary (presumably making use of old wraparounds featuring Robert Osborne and his various co-hosts). My guess is that TCM will use that series to relaunch The Essentials in May in some form or another with a new host. Just a hunch.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Saturday nights in May and June are all showing TBA in the 8:00 EST timeslot. TCM is using Saturday nights in April for a series they're calling 'The Best of The Essentials' for their 25th anniversary (presumably making use of old wraparounds featuring Robert Osborne and his various co-hosts). My guess is that TCM will use that series to relaunch The Essentials in May in some form or another with a new host. Just a hunch.

That would make sense.  The first primetime timeslot for each Saturday in May is also showing TBA.

34 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Good guess. You're probably right. If they are relaunching the Essentials franchise, it would be nice to know what themes they'll be covering. Meanwhile, it seems like the Guest Programmer series is over, unless they are combining guest programming with essentials.

18 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

UGH. WHY don't they let it die already??????

2 hours ago, Giggles Widlansky said:

Have they already pulled Alice's Restaurant from the schedule? I could have sworn they were showing it with other movies from 1969,

It looks like they might have. It's been removed from the 4th of June primetime lineup.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2019-06-4

Maybe they'll reschedule it later.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

One of the films scheduled for the 50th anniversary of Stonewell has been dropped. THE BOYS IN THE BAND has been removed from the schedule to make way for THE RITZ, a 1976 adaptation that doesn't seem to have aired before on TCM.

1 minute ago, Fedya said:

If you're talking about the Jerry Stiller/Rita Moreno et al. movie The Ritz, then it did air about three years ago.

Yeah, I thought The Ritz had aired before, because I taped it. I still haven't watched it yet, though. It was on in March of '16.

23 minutes ago, Fedya said:

If you're talking about the Jerry Stiller/Rita Moreno et al. movie The Ritz, then it did air about three years ago.

If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious.

Thanks. Wonder why it's listed as a premiere on TCM's schedule...

21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I thought The Ritz had aired before, because I taped it. I still haven't watched it yet, though. It was on in March of '16.

Sounds like an interesting film with good performers.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I was hoping THE BOYS IN THE BAND would air. Someone gave me a copy of it awhile back. But it's something that deserves a wider audience.

What a terrific movie with a wonderful ensemble cast.

I saw it first run in a movie theater and it was quite a popular movie. And apparently the play on Broadway had been a hit too.

The movie theme song, Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" performed by Harpers Bizarre, had also been a top 40 hit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

What about BOYS IN THE BAND...? Has it ever aired on TCM?

5 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Didn't The Boys in the Band air when Richard Barrios did the "Gay Images in Film" spotlight back in 2007 or 2008?

June of 2007.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 8:13 PM, Fedya said:

Didn't The Boys in the Band air when Richard Barrios did the "Gay Images in Film" spotlight back in 2007 or 2008?

Yes, I'm certain it aired during one of those Gay images months. Or at least it was scheduled to be. I dont remember watching it though, so maybe it could've been pulled AGAIN? Either that or it got recorded and the dvr went bad.....

The Boys in the Band was a big hit when it first played off-Broadway, and the movie used the original cast. The movie seems dated now, but gives a pretty accurate picture of its time, right down to the psychotherapy and the blaming of mothers for their sons' homosexuality. (We were talking in the noir thread about the blame-the-mother aspect of the 1951 M; this is a huge theme in 1950s dramas and continues through much of the 1960s.)

The Boys in the Band had a variety of recognizable gay characters, and most importantly, showed that a play and movie about gay men could be commercially successful. I wish that some of the parts had been recast. I saw the play off-Broadway, though not with the original cast, and at least two of the actors I saw, Don Briscoe as Donald and Christopher Bernau as Larry (shout-out to Dark Shadows, baby; Briscoe was already on the show, and Bernau soon would be) were much better than the originals. Frederick Combs is miscast as Donald and isn't much of an actor. Though Kenneth Nelson isn't bad in the lead role of Michael, better actors could have been found. If you've seen Ben Gazzara in Husbands, you've seen just about the perfect Michael. Boys also seems very dated in all the agonizing about growing old--old as in thirty, that is. Society has changed in ways that seemed impossible back in the Boys era. Unfortunately, most of the cast members of the film did not survive to enjoy those changes.

The Ritz is a farce, and has some funny moments. Jack Weston slips into the Ritz to escape a hit man, not realizing that the Ritz is a gay bathhouse. Rita Moreno plays the resident chanteuse, Googie Gomez; this is a character she had played at parties, and Terrence McNally wrote the play for her. Broadway musical fans may find themselves singing, with Googie, "I hod a dream! A dream abou' choo, baybay!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kingrat said:

The Boys in the Band was a big hit when it first played off-Broadway, and the movie used the original cast. The movie seems dated now, but gives a pretty accurate picture of its time, right down to the psychotherapy and the blaming of mothers for their sons' homosexuality. (We were talking in the noir thread about the blame-the-mother aspect of the 1951 M; this is a huge theme in 1950s dramas and continues through much of the 1960s.)

The Boys in the Band had a variety of recognizable gay characters, and most importantly, showed that a play and movie about gay men could be commercially successful. I wish that some of the parts had been recast. I saw the play off-Broadway, though not with the original cast, and at least two of the actors I saw, Don Briscoe as Donald and Christopher Bernau as Larry (shout-out to Dark Shadows, baby; Briscoe was already on the show, and Bernau soon would be) were much better than the originals. Frederick Combs is miscast as Donald and isn't much of an actor. Though Kenneth Nelson isn't bad in the lead role of Michael, better actors could have been found. If you've seen Ben Gazzara in Husbands, you've seen just about the perfect Michael. Boys also seems very dated in all the agonizing about growing old--old as in thirty, that is. Society has changed in ways that seemed impossible back in the Boys era. Unfortunately, most of the cast members of the film did not survive to enjoy those changes.

The Ritz is a farce, and has some funny moments. Jack Weston slips into the Ritz to escape a hit man, not realizing that the Ritz is a gay bathhouse. Rita Moreno plays the resident chanteuse, Googie Gomez; this is a character she had played at parties, and Terrence McNally wrote the play for her. Broadway musical fans may find themselves singing, with Googie, "I hod a dream! A dream abou' choo, baybay!"

Thanks for mentioning Chris Bernau. He delighted daytime soap audiences from 1977 to 1988 in the role of Alan Spaulding on Guiding Light.

• Thanks 1