Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Night of films to commemorate Stonewall

Gays & lesbians in America still face gender, race, class, and generational obstacles to becoming a cohesive community. Plus many are not open about their orientation or HIV status without fear. 50 Years after Stonewall.

On Friday the 28th of June, TCM will be airing these films:

screen-shot-2019-03-13-at-7.56.43-am.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Gays & lesbians in America still face gender, race, class, and generational obstacles to becoming a cohesive community. Plus many are not open about their orientation or HIV status without fear. 50 Years after Stonewall.

On Friday the 28th of June, TCM will be airing these films:

screen-shot-2019-03-13-at-7.56.43-am.png

"Some of My Best Friends Are" with Carlton Carpenter is a must-see.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rayban said:

"Some of My Best Friends Are" with Carlton Carpenter is a must-see.  

I've never seen it. Glad TCM's put it on the schedule.

• Like 1

It has a very interesting cast, including Rue McClanahan in her glory days.

81qKyBbdKBL._SL1494_.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayban said:

It has a very interesting cast, including Rue McClanahan in her glory days.

I'm assuming it was filmed in New York, since Rue McClanahan was doing a soap opera at the time on the east coast. And it looks like Fannie Flagg is also in it. Plus a very young Gil Gerard and Gary Sandy (both of them were on NY-based soaps in the early 70s).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'm assuming it was filmed in New York, since Rue McClanahan was doing a soap opera at the time on the east coast. And it looks like Fannie Flagg is also in it. Plus a very young Gil Gerard and Gary Sandy (both of them were on NY-based soaps in the early 70s).

So hot, you'll have a great time.

Some+of+My+Best+Friends+Are+-+Gary+Sandy

Don't let him get away, Carlton!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rayban said:

So hot, you'll have a great time.

Some+of+My+Best+Friends+Are+-+Gary+Sandy

Don't let him get away, Carlton!

Hot for the early 70s, right? Gotta love those hairstyles!

• Like 1

I wish they would have included "Word is Out" (1977) a wonderful documentary

• Like 2

Late in life, Carlton Carpenter wrote a series of gay mysteries.

And, yet, I am unable to track them down.

Does anyone have any of them?

6a00d8341c2ca253ef01bb097b5af7970d-200wi

• Thanks 1

There's been a schedule change. THE BOYS IN THE BAND has been dropped. And THE RITZ has now been added:

screen-shot-2019-04-01-at-1.39.35-pm.png

• Thanks 1

"The Ritz" was a very funny stage farce.

I saw it several times.

The film version was not very good.

Even Terrence McNally spoke negatively about it.

You could not better Robert Drivas' original staging.

(From the movie version.)

tumblr_m72rquyyVG1rsrjeno9_r1_1280.jpg

Treat-Williams-Jack-Weston-The-Ritz-1976

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, TopBilled said:

There's a 1984 documentary called BEFORE STONEWALL. Has anyone seen it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_Stonewall

Yes, it's a really important documentary at this point in time because so many of the people interviewed and discussed have passed. Most of the important early organizers and activists were interviewed, as well as writers and publishers of early gay-related books and periodicals. PBS showed it many years ago and has shown it more recently as part of June programming. There was a sequel, After Stonewall, which came out later, I think by the same filmmakers, but I'm not positive. It obviously covered the post-Stonewall era, which has been covered by others as well, so it's really Before Stonewall which stands alone. There was also a really good documentary called Coming Out Under Fire, based on a book, which had many interviews with men and women who served both during and after wartime.

I also noticed recently that Amazon Prime has Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton's Cafeteria, a 2005 documentary about San Francisco transvestites rioting against police harassment in 1966, three years before the Stonewall riots. I first saw that on PBS also.

• Like 3

I saw Before Stonewall broken up in sections on YouTube before. Not sure how much of it is still available.

One thing that struck me about the lineup above is the repeating theme of cross dressing. However this may be a coincidence, rather than anything intentional. It does appear that the most popular mainstream gay theme films of that era did focus on men in drag because it made the characters seem "safe" to many unsure audiences, being that "they" were shown to be "less like us".

Now... I am not going to over analyze all of this or be hyper critical of "the way things were". Just understand that it takes time for social progress to happen. Also remember that American screens and TV were only just starting to show much more socialization between people of different races, let alone orientations, by the '70s. Previously such socialization of the other kind was "properly" confined to roles of servant, train porter, bellhop and jazz band on a stage or nightclub.

It was what it was, as they say. You can not go back and change history, but just learn from it.

I have only seen the trailers for Funeral Parade Of Roses online, not the movie itself. That title was filmed before Stonewall (happening in another country) and its primary novelty is not the cross-dressing since Japanese theater had plenty of it already, but the guys discussing their same gender attractions and also dressing that way in the streets.

Recently re-watched Christopher Larkins' A Very Natural Thing, which could easily fit in with this line-up even if the nervous broadcasters would have to show it later in the evening/night due to peekaboo nudity and a few same-gender expressions of affection. Otherwise, that film is downright tame compared to so much else out then and now that is heterosexual oriented.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Did anyone notice the lineup of Judy Garland films earlier that day?

image.png.529e4d64235e380f249c9501c1269c57.png

Thanks for pointing that out.

It's a nice coincidence (if it is a coincidence). There's always been speculation that the high emotion from Judy's NYC funeral on June 27th was a big factor in the decision of the bar patrons not to take it any more. Some of those same people had been in the crowd outside the funeral home and were "in a mood" that night. Technically, the rioting began in the early hours of the next day (the 28th), but the through-line is pretty obvious to those who choose to see it that way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

It's a nice coincidence (if it is a coincidence). There's always been speculation that the high emotion from Judy's NYC funeral on June 27th was a big factor in the decision of the bar patrons not to take it any more. Some of those same people had been in the crowd outside the funeral home and were "in a mood" that night. Technically, the rioting began in the early hours of the next day (the 28th), but the through-line is pretty obvious to those who choose to see it that way.

Interesting. I never made the connection. 

I see that Judy was re-interred in 2017. I wonder why.

• Like 1

Liza Minnelli had moved to the West Coast - and her mother was still buried in Brooklyn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayban said:

Liza Minnelli had moved to the West Coast - and her mother was still buried in Brooklyn.

Thanks Ray. That explains it! :)

• Like 1