Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Where’s Ben?

Recommended Posts

Looks like Eddie is filling in for him tonight.  (Interesting to see Eddie introduce some non-Noir films.)

They shoot these intros so far in advance it is difficult to know what might have been going on at the time.

Ben should be back Thursday evening to introduce the 'Journalism in the Movies' Spotlight theme he is hosting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait!

Now, are we SURE Ben didn't finally take my advice around here to take a few days off and have his adenoids checked out by a good ear, nose and throat doctor???

(...well, I suppose I'll find out tomorrow when I tune in to see if he's still talking through his nose while introducing these journalism flicks, huh!)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alicia Malone is Introducing TCM Imports now.  Perhaps Ben is doing more outside TCM stuff like Backlot appearances. Or maybe the ATT Chief has a brother-in-law!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Looks like Eddie is filling in for him tonight.  (Interesting to see Eddie introduce some non-Noir films.)

They shoot these intros so far in advance it is difficult to know what might have been going on at the time.

Ben should be back Thursday evening to introduce the 'Journalism in the Movies' Spotlight theme he is hosting.

 

is he though?

i seem to recall the promos for the SPOTLIGHT ON JOURNALISM as being hosted by ANDERSON COOPER and CARL BERNSTEIN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

;)

Maybe he's hanging out with WALDO!!! :o B)

Oh, and DARG.....

Maybe it's YOU who should seek the aid of an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist, since it seems that YOU'RE the only one here(far as I can tell) that HEARS this "nasal" quality to Ben's speaking voice.  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I too agree with Dargo. 

as would if if I did not regularly skip over the host sections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys need to meet my Aunt Stella, if you REALLY want to hear a "nasal" voice!  :rolleyes:

And too, in today's over emphasis on "PC", your complaints in this case, may be construed as ANTI-SEMITIC!  ;) 

Believe me...I've been to a buddy's Bar Mitzvah, and years later, his son's Bris.  MAN!  Thought there was an invasion of GEESE happening!  ;)

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Believe me...I've been to a buddy's Bar Mitzvah, and years later, his son's Bris.  MAN!  Thought there was an invasion of GEESE happening!  ;)

Sepiatone

I have to warn you right now that I am going to steal this line from you and use it in something.

(maybe I'll send you a check if I ever sell it)

Don't care who you are, that's just plain funny.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free.  And actually, my buddy thought it was funny too.  It's close to what my Mom once said about a banquet at the senior center she attended......

"Their dentures were so loose it sounded like CASTANETS were being played by everyone!"  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

is he though?

i seem to recall the promos for the SPOTLIGHT ON JOURNALISM as being hosted by ANDERSON COOPER and CARL BERNSTEIN.

Ben is hosting along with each of these men. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

is he though?

i seem to recall the promos for the SPOTLIGHT ON JOURNALISM as being hosted by ANDERSON COOPER and CARL BERNSTEIN.

(I was typing this overly verbose reply when 2 others were posted.  Sorry to be piling on.)

Last Thursday Ben was the host for the Journalism Spotlight along with guest Carl Bernstein (they showed All the President's Men and Citizen Kane).  According to the TCM web site article: "Joining TCM host Ben Mankiewicz to discuss the films at hand are Carl Bernstein, the investigative journalist and author who was a key figure in the original news reporting in the Watergate scandal of the 1970s; and Anderson Cooper, the primary anchor of the CNN news show Anderson Cooper 360°. Bernstein appears on the first two Thursdays of our tribute and Cooper on the final two evenings."

So I expect to see Ben and Carl again this evening and then see Ben and Anderson the next two weeks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Ben has recently been shooting wraparounds for TCM's 25th anniversary in April. They'll be doing another series with 25 TCM fan programmers, similar to what they did for the 20th anniversary in 2014. But that 25-film series takes up every night on the schedule from April 15 - 27, so we'll be seeing a lot of Ben during that time. Makes sense that TCM would reduce his hosting duties before and after that.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Alicia Malone is Introducing TCM Imports now.  Perhaps Ben is doing more outside TCM stuff like Backlot appearances. Or maybe the ATT Chief has a brother-in-law!

As long as they keep it about classic movies, huh?  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

(I was typing this overly verbose reply when 2 others were posted.  Sorry to be piling on.)

Last Thursday Ben was the host for the Journalism Spotlight along with guest Carl Bernstein (they showed All the President's Men and Citizen Kane).  According to the TCM web site article: "Joining TCM host Ben Mankiewicz to discuss the films at hand are Carl Bernstein, the investigative journalist and author who was a key figure in the original news reporting in the Watergate scandal of the 1970s; and Anderson Cooper, the primary anchor of the CNN news show Anderson Cooper 360°. Bernstein appears on the first two Thursdays of our tribute and Cooper on the final two evenings."

So I expect to see Ben and Carl again this evening and then see Ben and Anderson the next two weeks.

Ah,I see. 

(Ever since I got Hulu I’m not so reliant on what’s on in prime time)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

I know that Ben has recently been shooting wraparounds for TCM's 25th anniversary in April. They'll be doing another series with 25 TCM fan programmers, similar to what they did for the 20th anniversary in 2014. But that 25-film series takes up every night on the schedule from April 15 - 27, so we'll be seeing a lot of Ben during that time. Makes sense that TCM would reduce his hosting duties before and after that.

That makes sense. Bit surprised though that it covers all that time. 5 years ago, they did all 20 in 5 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on how many they want to program each evening.  Perhaps they didn't like the idea of some of the fan programmers' selections coming on in the middle of the night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

You guys need to meet my Aunt Stella, if you REALLY want to hear a "nasal" voice!  :rolleyes:

And too, in today's over emphasis on "PC", your complaints in this case, may be construed as ANTI-SEMITIC!  ;) 

Believe me...I've been to a buddy's Bar Mitzvah, and years later, his son's Bris.  MAN!  Thought there was an invasion of GEESE happening!  ;)

Sepiatone

Wait! "Anti-Semitic" you say here, Sepia???

Well, tell ya what here, dude.

If YOU won't let it slip that I've recently shaved my head and joined the Neo-Nazi Party, then I CERTAINLY won't!!! ;)

LOL

(...look ol' buddy, ANYBODY who'd dare accuse me of being "Anti-Semitic" simply because I don't and have never found Ben's voice to be a "pleasant" and/or a "resonant" and/or a "mellifluous" one, would be a, well, they'd pretty much be a damn fool and REGARDLESS their religion and/or creed...but YEAH, I sure as hell know that there ARE a lot of damn fools out there in the world today, and hell MAYBE even some that might actually BELIEVE I've now "shaved my head and joined the Neo-Nazi Party"!!!) 

LOL

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually DARG, 

I've met and (unfortunately) known some old and now former old "friends" who've become latter day "Neo-Nazis", and NOT A ONE of 'em ever shaved their heads. A few were ALREADY bald, and the rest just "buzz-cut" their hair down to "5 O'clock shadow" length.   And the guys(of too, varying ages) that I know who DID shave their heads did so NOT to become "Neo-Nazis", but because that slick, shiny baldness is supposedly some kind of "look". :rolleyes:  And truth be told, if they let it grow out, their hair would be thicker than MINE is 'bout now.  :(

Makes me kind of sad....

Sepiatone

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

You guys need to meet my Aunt Stella, if you REALLY want to hear a "nasal" voice!  :rolleyes:

 

But is Aunt Stella on TV? The reason I agree with Dargo is because both TV and radio are riddled with voices that are not as professional as they use to be. I am spoiled Sepiatone. I grew up with San Francisco AM radio in the 1960s.

Here is - Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsburg - WMEX, Boston (1961)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...