Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Johnny Got His Gun (1971)

Dalton Trumbo's 1939 best selling novel about the horrors of WWI comes to the big screen tonight. The result is surrealistic and haunting as a quadriplegic soldier who has lost the ability to communicate with the outside world lives in dreams and memories. If you've heard about this film, but never seen it, this a great opportunity. Thank you TCM for showing this film in Prime Time.

Hello,

My brother was involved with the anti-war movement during the late 1960s, early 1970s. He had a library of anti-war books...including the paperback edition of Johnny Got His Gun. I picked the book up and read the story in one sitting. I was thirteen or fourteen years old. The story has haunted me ever since. I mean, the story has really stayed with me ever since...just writing about Johnny Got His Gun forcefully reminds me of the experience of reading the novel.

Now, I have not watched the movie...Johnny Got His Gun (1971). I don't know how the first half of the book could work as a movie. I don't think I am providing any spoilers, but I'm talking about the part of the novel having the protagonist discover his physical condition. Anyway, I plan to record the TCM broadcast of Johnny Got His Gun and I will watch the movie when I am mentally prepared for the experience. Not a "while away a couple of hours" sort of story.

Arkadin...thanks for the mention of the upcoming broadcast of Johnny Got His Gun on TCM.

Rusty