Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Martin And Lewis

Since The Stooge was and is actually based on Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis’s act?  Do you think all the songs they sing in it were actually a part of their act too?

Hey David,

That's an interesting question. I'm not familiar with the way their act was structured and what numbers were typically included. But you may be on to something...it wouldn't surprise me if some of their act did make it into their films.

screen-shot-2019-03-17-at-5.13.44-pm.jpg

I've heard their radio show probably a couple dozen times altogether. Enough to be familiar with the format of that venue, at least. Not sure if there's any crossover. Let me know if it'd be any help. It's not a great radio show, I must say. Lewis is sometimes painfully unfunny, constantly putting himself down; or else laughing at his own 'wit'.

Dean usually plays the kindly, avuncular advisor, always handing him suggestions on how to be a man; mock-slapping his brow when Jerry bumbles simple tasks, (usually too preposterous to even be credible).

There's plenty of running gags (such as Jerry's haircut, his thin build, his bad wardrobe, his pathetic hankering for girls, always getting plain-janes compared to Dean).

But the laughs just aren't all that good. The appearance by their long-suffering secretary is sometimes the highlight, a sorta female counterpart to the luckless Lewis.

Jerry must continually defer and scrape and bow to Dean --another regular gag; obsequious praise for Dean's singing is 'built-in' to many of their exchanges. (Dean always strikes a pose of modesty).

When guest stars appear, they often run skits with the star, this is something else which barely saves the whole thing.

• Like 1