Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DICK DALE THE KING OF THE SURF GUITAR HAS DIED

DICK DALE THE KING OF THE SURF GUITAR has died. at the age of 81. He was most famous for the rock version of MISIRLOU.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/18/704329806/dick-dale-surf-guitar-legend-dead-at-81  

THIS VIDEO IS from the original recording of Misirlou from 1962. Dale was lefty who played on a right handed Fender guitar. I believe ft was a STRATOCASTER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
22 hours ago, jakeem said:

Dick Dale, the influential musician known for his mastery of the surf guitar style and a performer in one of the best "Beach Party" movies, has died of heart failure at the age of 81. Born Richard Anthony Monsour in Boston on May 4, 1937, he was of Lebanese descent. 

He continued to perform until the end of his life to finance treatment of his health problems.

Related image

In 1962, Dale revived the traditional Eastern Mediterranean song "Misirlou" with an instrumental rock 'n' roll version. It became even more popular three decades later when the filmmaker Quentin Tarantino used Dale's recording in the 1994 cinematic hit "Pulp Fiction."

In 1964, Dale and his band The Del-Tones appeared in "Muscle Beach Party," the second installment of the series of films that began with "Beach Party" a year earlier. The sequel reunited stars Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello. Another musical guest was the 13-year-old Motown artist Little Stevie Wonder, whose voice hadn't changed yet. 

• Like 2

Two unbelievable things to remember about Dick Dale:

• From his obituary in The New York Times: "His almost constant tremolo created friction so intense that it melted his guitar picks and strings as he played." 
  • From CBS News: "Self-taught on guitar, the left-handed Dale couldn't afford a custom-made model, so early on he played a standard right-hand guitar upside down and backward. That ended after a meeting with legendary guitar builder Leo Fender, who offered to make Dale his own left-handed model if he'd test a line of guitars and amplifiers Fender was developing."

D16Zb-SWkAELdEJ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, arpirose said:

DICK DALE THE KING OF THE SURF GUITAR has died. at the age of 81. He was most famous for the rock version of MISIRLOU.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/18/704329806/dick-dale-surf-guitar-legend-dead-at-81  

And still a great tune for any house band daring enough on the guitar to jam on--

No matter.....WHAT instrument takes the solo:  😮

• Like 2

While I love the "west coast surf" genre from the Ventures to Chris Isaak, wouldn't you say Dick Dale actually created the recognizable surf "sound" with his unique guitar playing technique? 

Thanks Dick Dale and RIP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

to me the ventures are the undisputed kings of surf guitar.

Actually Nip, if NOT for Dale, The Ventures might have wound up doing some other style of Rock'n'Roll, or not existed at ALL!  ;)

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, arpirose said:

THIS VIDEO IS from the original recording of Misirlou from 1962. Dale was lefty who played on a right handed Fender guitar. I believe ft was a STRATOCASTER.

Thanks so much  Arpirose!

Dale certainly had a unique and revolutionary style.

I bought the cd "King of the Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale and the DelTones" last year so I'll be playing it tonight in his memory. 

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

to me the ventures are the undisputed kings of surf guitar.

The Ventures were good and they were a  commercial success.

Sadly I think they made more money playing this music than Dick Dale, who actually had been the originator of the sound.

But in Top 40 success many aspects went into being marketable.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2019 at 8:38 PM, EricJ said:

And still a great tune for any house band daring enough on the guitar to jam on--

No matter.....WHAT instrument takes the solo:  😮

Somethin's tellin' me these guys in addition to doing justice to Dick Dale's "Misirlou" here, can probably also do a pretty mean rendition of AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)".

(...probably the bagpipes that's tellin' me this, huh) ;)