Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had the book with this title from quite a few years ago, which introduced me to many B-film directors. It must be in my garage now, since I haven't seen it for a while, but I remember looking for all the films mentioned in the book and was well rewarded when I would locate them to watch.

I'm not even sure anymore of all the names mentioned in the book, but I do know that once I got into the B-film archives, many of these directors became my favorites. I particularly like Joseph H. Lewis who directed the wonderfully atmospheric "My Name is Julia Ross".

If you have a favorite King of the B's director, please share now.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, scsu1975 said:

I don't, but I do know several directors who were Sons of B's.

Although I haven't seen it yet, Larry Cohen--and his career that spans from "Hell Up in Harlem" to "Q: the Winged Serpent"--has finally been honored with his own cult-retrospective documentary, King Cohen (2018):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPblr7nKaYw

And even if it was only for "The Stuff" (1985), it would be thoroughly deserved.  B)👍

• Like 1
22 hours ago, EricJ said:

Although I haven't seen it yet, Larry Cohen--and his career that spans from "Hell Up in Harlem" to "Q: the Winged Serpent"--has finally been honored with his own cult-retrospective documentary, King Cohen (2018):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPblr7nKaYw

And even if it was only for "The Stuff" (1985), it would be thoroughly deserved.  B)👍

Yes, they are taking auditions for the Robert Bardo biopic.

My go-to reference for all things 'B' is the eponymous 'B-Movies' by Don Miller. A hallowed paperback on my shelf. He also has a companion book on B-Westerns. Miller was just one of those nutty guys who was a lifelong addict of this format of movie. Probably had a photographic memory for it. Anyway his book --very surprisingly--is engagingly written; garrulous, friendly, and chatty; not merely encyclopedic and not an inventory. He describes how 'B'-production practices evolved; how big names in 'B' grew their careers; the rise and fall of Poverty Row studios; and also what films have performers & storylines Miller can identify as having appeared in other 'B' films. That's the most fun part. Yep. I earnestly advocate this book for any loyal B-fans.

An' that's muh rulin'...

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

My go-to reference for all things 'B' is the eponymous 'B-Movies' by Don Miller. A hallowed paperback on my shelf. He also has a companion book on B-Westerns. Miller was just one of those nutty guys who was a lifelong addict of this format of movie. Probably had a photographic memory for it. Anyway his book --very surprisingly--is engagingly written; garrulous, friendly, and chatty; not merely encyclopedic and not an inventory. He describes how 'B'-production practices evolved; how big names in 'B' grew their careers; the rise and fall of Poverty Row studios; and also what films have performers & storylines Miller can identify as having appeared in other 'B' films. That's the most fun part. Yep. I earnestly advocate this book for any loyal B-fans.

An' that's muh rulin'...

I have a slew of movie books, but not that one, Sgt. Markoff. Just looked it up online and it does sound marvy!

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Perhaps the best director to graduate from making 'B' films to superior first class productions was Anthony Mann. His expertise was most noted in gritty adult westerns of the '50s ; many of which starred James Stewart. Another director of note who was less successful in transitioning to class A films was Phil Karlson. Check IMDB.com for the filmography of these two men.

• Thanks 1
On 3/25/2019 at 4:04 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

'I'm a King Bee' is the only cover tune Pink Floyd ever recorded. It's by bluesman Slim Harpo

Speaking of Slim, I found an old 45 at a garage sale the other day, of his song "Rainin' in my Heart" [not to be confused with the Buddy Holly penned song]. I wonder if it is worth anything? I think "Stormy Weather" by the Five Keys is no longer so in demand.

• Like 1