Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Just now, calvinnme said:

Not that I know anything about these Fox film projects that Disney axed, but considering everything Disney has touched in the last five years has turned to cr*p, I'm surprised that anybody at Disney thinks that they can spot cr*p when they see it. They've managed to ruin Star Wars, MCU (not that big of a fan in the first place), and it looks like they are working their magic on Pixar with a completely unneeded Toy Story 4.  The only interesting movie I can think of involving all of this would have Walt rising from his grave and taking bloody revenge on the bean counter suits that did this to his empire.  I WOULD pay to see THAT.

the two that got axed were an adaptation of an African-American themed young adult film, and a drama with Tom Hanks. Both have been successfully moved to other studios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

the two that got axed were an adaptation of an African-American themed young adult film, and a drama with Tom Hanks. Both have been successfully moved to other studios.

Also, the fate of completed-but-recut Fox-Marvel movie The New Mutants--which tried to spin the superhero comic way off-book into a "teen-horror" tale, since it was from Deadpool's producers, and couldn't tread on property owned by the X-Men franchise--is still in limbo, with no one quite sure of whether it'll be going direct-to-streaming, or trying its "luck" in a buried theatrical release, just like "X-Men: Dark Phoenix".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

The decent continues. Forbes just published an article with a bleak picture. And this comes as Disney plots to remake Home Alone and focus only on "big" properties. AKA more remakes and sequels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/08/07/disney-fox-x-men-dark-phoenix-avatar-avengers-bohemian-rhapsody-marvel-deadpool-spielberg-star-wars-alien-predator-home-alone-oscars-box-office/#59bed83244aa

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The decent continues. Forbes just published an article with a bleak picture. And this comes as Disney plots to remake Home Alone and focus only on "big" properties. AKA more remakes and sequels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/08/07/disney-fox-x-men-dark-phoenix-avatar-avengers-bohemian-rhapsody-marvel-deadpool-spielberg-star-wars-alien-predator-home-alone-oscars-box-office/#59bed83244aa

Technically, that's because once a new studio acquires an old one, if it wants to cement its own stamp on one of the iconic franchises, it has to make one of its OWN, from scratch, under original authorship.  (As was the case when Disney had to make a new Muppets movie, and Michael Eisner was compelled to make a new Fantasia and Mary Poppins after buying Old Disney.)

And if Disney plans to cash in on Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Cheaper By the Dozen and the neo-Apes, that means having to make "our" version that doesn't belong to anyone else.  Although, admittedly, Home Alone can't be stretched out into a Disney+ series, so that one just gets a one-off remake.

Still, as long as there's no word yet about Alvin, Ice Age, Predator or Die Hard, we're still safe.  😅

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The highlighted sentences below are the most worrisome to me. A sign of more homogenization and lack of originality to come.

Disney Concerned Over “New Mutants” & More

Last week, as part of a quarterly investor conference call, 20th Century Fox got a public dressing down by Disney chief executive Bob Iger who said Fox’s performance “was well below where it had been and well below where we hoped it would be when we made the acquisition.”

Variety has now published an in-depth report on Disney’s dissatisfaction with the Fox properties they’ve inherited, talking with several sources who indicate simmering frustrations with the viability of the studio’s product which has so far yielded only dismal numbers and holds little promise. Four Fox films opened in the quarter with only the faith-based movie “Breakthrough” being profitable – grossing $50 million from a $14 million budget.

“Dark Phoenix,” “Stuber” and “The Art of Racing in the Rain” all flopped – ‘Phoenix’ spectacularly so and heavily contributed to a $170 million write-down. The failure of Fox’s film division, and to a lesser extent the lighter-than-anticipated attendance at Disney’s theme parks, is being blamed for the studio’s Disney’s per-share stock price and revenue projections being off.

Fox vice chairman Emma Watts is seemingly being sidelined somewhat as Iger has named his top lieutenants Alan Horn and Alan Bergman as the ones “redefining 20th Century Fox’s film strategy for the future, applying the same discipline and creative standards behind the success of Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm.”

As reported a few days ago, Disney has scrapped much of Fox film’s development slate – ditching all projects not yet in production bar only a handful of survivors like the “Avatar” sequels and a few franchises with films either too far along or able to deliver reboots that will suit the Disney+ streaming service. The report today indicates that, according to rival studio executive estimates, Disney torched at least $50 million worth of development in this sudden house clearing.

It also indicates the completed films Fox has which Disney is set to release through 2020 is giving them concern. Those on the films either finished or in post-production are said to be struggling for studio support and filmmakers seeking reshoots have been asked to submit rigorous storyboards to justify additional expenses.

Original scripts and optioned properties have been ‘paused’ from going into production as Disney is prioritizing making more broadly commercial projects and safe bets – as a result “Lumberjanes” has been cancelled, Greg Berlanti won’t helm “The Editor,” and several projects from British animator Locksmith are being handed back to their creators.

The studio is also reportedly unimpressed with the horror “X-Men” spin-off “New Mutants” and believes it has limited box office potential. Taika Waititi’s Nazism takedown comedy “Jojo Rabbit,” despite being a potential major awards contender, is being seen as “a little too edgy” for Disney brass with a top exec said to have worried aloud during a screening that the material will alienate Disney fans.

Then there’s the “Deadpool” problem with the studio grappling with how to fit the very R-rated character into its PG-13-rated Marvel Cinematic Universe with the aim to find a way for the character to move seamlessly between “Avengers” spinoffs and more bloody, profane stand-alone adventures.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-concerned-over-new-mutants-more/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

The highlighted sentences below are the most worrisome to me. A sign of more homogenization and lack of originality to come.

Taika Waititi’s Nazism takedown comedy “Jojo Rabbit,” despite being a potential major awards contender, is being seen as “a little too edgy” for Disney brass with a top exec said to have worried aloud during a screening that the material will alienate Disney fans.

 

This is worrisome, because Fox Searchlight was promised autonomy and the ability to make any film they wished. Now even this is in question in a time when the status of films for adults is in severe question. Fox Searchlight was one of the few left that provided those. So there is a severe chance that that division might close or be botched badly due to the new owners. And we'd all be the poorer for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, EricJ said:

Technically, that's because once a new studio acquires an old one, if it wants to cement its own stamp on one of the iconic franchises, it has to make one of its OWN, from scratch, under original authorship.  (As was the case when Disney had to make a new Muppets movie, and Michael Eisner was compelled to make a new Fantasia and Mary Poppins after buying Old Disney.)

And if Disney plans to cash in on Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Cheaper By the Dozen and the neo-Apes, that means having to make "our" version that doesn't belong to anyone else.  Although, admittedly, Home Alone can't be stretched out into a Disney+ series, so that one just gets a one-off remake.

Still, as long as there's no word yet about Alvin, Ice Age, Predator or Die Hard, we're still safe.  😅

Spoke too soon. In come more Die Hards.....

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-planning-reboot-die-hard-franchise/?fbclid=IwAR2TtRfV5xtticmX-MVLl1QLwDmOFn1B5SjvfoF9_8V3D6sgl1JlHEHJu7g

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, EricJ said:

Technically, that's because once a new studio acquires an old one, if it wants to cement its own stamp on one of the iconic franchises, it has to make one of its OWN, from scratch, under original authorship.  (As was the case when Disney had to make a new Muppets movie, and Michael Eisner was compelled to make a new Fantasia and Mary Poppins after buying Old Disney.)

And if Disney plans to cash in on Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Cheaper By the Dozen and the neo-Apes, that means having to make "our" version that doesn't belong to anyone else.  Although, admittedly, Home Alone can't be stretched out into a Disney+ series, so that one just gets a one-off remake.

Still, as long as there's no word yet about Alvin, Ice Age, Predator or Die Hard, we're still safe.  😅

A cash grab, reboot of Home Alone reminds me of this gag. :lol: What was considered a joke decades ago is now reality. :( 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Cinemas Barred From Fox Retro Screenings?

There’s been suggestion of this for a few months, but now Vulture has done a piece on one of the most unfortunate side effects of the Disney-Fox merger.

Repertory theaters and regional chains all across the U.S. are reportedly finding out that Disney’s famous idea of ‘vaulting’ films (taking them out of circulation in order to drive up interest) is going to extend, in part, to Fox’s vast library of films.

Without warning or announcement, Disney has reportedly begun eliminating older Fox titles such as “Alien,” “Fight Club,” “The Princess Bride,” “Moulin Rouge” and “Die Hard” from being screened around the country. There is reportedly only one notable exception – “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

No real reasons are given but the new rule suggests only non-profit theaters (eg. Film Forum in New York City) will be given access to the library of Fox titles to be shown on the big screen. Disney hasn’t officially commented on the policy or how it will enforce it.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/cinemas-barred-from-fox-retro-screenings/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 8:17 PM, LawrenceA said:

Cinemas Barred From Fox Retro Screenings?

Repertory theaters and regional chains all across the U.S. are reportedly finding out that Disney’s famous idea of ‘vaulting’ films (taking them out of circulation in order to drive up interest) is going to extend, in part, to Fox’s vast library of films.

Without warning or announcement, Disney has reportedly begun eliminating older Fox titles such as “Alien,” “Fight Club,” “The Princess Bride,” “Moulin Rouge” and “Die Hard” from being screened around the country. There is reportedly only one notable exception – “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

Uh-oh...That list is practically Fathom's entire retro-screening season for an entire year!  What will they show, if they can't show Fight Club, Moulin Rouge or Princess Bride?

Next thing you know, Paramount's going to vault Grease and Ferris Bueller, and Fathom may have to go out of business!  :huh:

(Seriously, though, if there's an upside to "vaulting", it's that it kept disk sales alive--Now that Disney eliminated the Disney Vault, so that they could show off how many classics were streaming on Disney+, it put the whole "Culture of expectation" of waiting for a collectible classic on retail Blu-ray in danger.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Fox did leave us with one last laugh on their release schedule; they had signed on to do Deep Water, an erotic thriller from Adrian Lyne (of Flashdance, 9 1/2 Weeks, Fatal Attraction, Indecent Proposal, Lolita, and Unfaithful fame) and the movie will end up being distributed by Disney, with the credit "Released by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures" on it! :D:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Disney Officially Drops Fox Name Branding

The ‘Fox’, at least in terms of entertainment properties now belonging to Disney, is dead. The Walt Disney Company is officially dropping the ‘Fox’ brand from all the 21st Century Fox assets it acquired last March.

As a result, 20th Century Fox will now become 20th Century Studios, while Fox Searchlight Pictures is now simply Searchlight Pictures.

No decisions have been made about the TV production side of the business – namely 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios – but discussions about a possible name change for both are underway.

Studio e-mail domains have already been changed, while the upcoming “Downhill” and “Call of the Wild” will be the first films to respectively feature the new Searchlight Pictures and 20th Century Studios banners and film intros (which remove the word Fox but remain otherwise the same).

https://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-officially-drops-fox-name-branding/

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, TopBilled said:

Interesting that a company's name was defined by one century...that we were still calling it 20th Century Fox instead of 21st Century Fox.

Of all the studio names, Universal seems the most futuristic and timeless. There could still be a Universal Studios a thousand years from now.

Yes, and no doubt they won't have released anything from the vault.  Someone will eventually open the vault and find a very old man guarding the films of Olsen & Johnson, The Ritz Brothers, The Andrews Sisters and most adoringly of all, the Merry Macs.  In the year 2525, if Universal is still alive...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Disney Officially Drops Fox Name Branding

The ‘Fox’, at least in terms of entertainment properties now belonging to Disney, is dead. The Walt Disney Company is officially dropping the ‘Fox’ brand from all the 21st Century Fox assets it acquired last March.

As a result, 20th Century Fox will now become 20th Century Studios, while Fox Searchlight Pictures is now simply Searchlight Pictures.

No decisions have been made about the TV production side of the business – namely 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios – but discussions about a possible name change for both are underway.

Studio e-mail domains have already been changed, while the upcoming “Downhill” and “Call of the Wild” will be the first films to respectively feature the new Searchlight Pictures and 20th Century Studios banners and film intros (which remove the word Fox but remain otherwise the same).

https://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-officially-drops-fox-name-branding/

This more than makes me sad. It makes me livid and angry. It's a horrible, sad day in Hollywood history when the name of a motion picture pioneer around for over 100 years is wiped from all memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Yes, and no doubt they won't have released anything from the vault

If the OP will forgive this digression, I saw something related to the quoted comment the other day, related to the upcoming NBCUniversal/Comcast streaming service Peacock.

NBCUniversal’s Peacock Streamer Unveiled

The plan is ultimately to have “every single movie ever made by Universal” on Peacock. 

https://www.darkhorizons.com/nbcuniversals-peacock-streamer-unveiled/

 

In all likelihood, "everything" means the usual movies with the best known stars, and the Universal Horror films that can easily be found/seen all over the place, but maybe, just maybe, they really mean everything in their vault.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If the OP will forgive this digression, I saw something related to the quoted comment the other day, related to the upcoming NBCUniversal/Comcast streaming service Peacock.

NBCUniversal’s Peacock Streamer Unveiled

The plan is ultimately to have “every single movie ever made by Universal” on Peacock. 

https://www.darkhorizons.com/nbcuniversals-peacock-streamer-unveiled/

 

In all likelihood, "everything" means the usual movies with the best known stars, and the Universal Horror films that can easily be found/seen all over the place, but maybe, just maybe, they really mean everything in their vault.

Well they were careful  by using "ultimately".      To achieve "every single movie ever made" they will have to convert films to digital before they deteriorate and can't be converted (if my understanding of the state of  some "old" Universal films is correct based on what has been posted at this site).

So maybe 'every single movie" really means every film Universal has already made available in a digital format.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happens now? What happens when I tune into the Fox network on a rainy Saturday to watch The Day the Earth Stood Still.  Or maybe i will want to watch Laura or Ty Power in Zorro?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

This more than makes me sad. It makes me livid and angry. It's a horrible, sad day in Hollywood history when the name of a motion picture pioneer around for over 100 years is wiped from all memory.

While Fox Films was founded in 1915,  the "Fox" brand would have ended if there wasn't the merger that created 20th Century Fox in 1935.

So I wouldn't view the lost of "Fox" as losing much of  Hollywood history,  since one could say "Fox" died back in 1935.    (and the fact 20th Century was listed first for the new company).

In addition due to politics (the Fox News Network),  "Fox" has negative baggage.      So removing "Fox" but retaining 20th Century makes sense to me and had to be done by Disney.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

So what happens now? What happens when I tune into the Fox network on a rainy Saturday to watch The Day the Earth Stood Still.  Or maybe i will want to watch Laura or Ty Power in Zorro?

You do what everyone else does in the cable/streaming age:  Go to the library, or take the disks off your shelf, that you bought while the getting was good.

Quote

Yes, and no doubt they won't have released anything from the vault.  Someone will eventually open the vault and find a very old man guarding the films of Olsen & Johnson, The Ritz Brothers, The Andrews Sisters and most adoringly of all, the Merry Macs.

cheapest-man-in-the-world-jack-benny-sho

"Oh, it's you, Mr. Benny...How are things on the outside?"
"Fine, Ed, fine.   Here's another movie for the vault."
"Oh, good.  I was hoping they'd catch the train robbers, in the last one."

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...