Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

Det Jim McLeod

TCM showed this last night and I love it, rate it 8/10.

It seems to me to be a more graphic version of a Rock Hudson/Doris Day type sex comedy updated to later 1960s movie trends. The last Day/Hudson film ("Send Me No Flowers") was only 5 years before but could not be further from this one. The comedy scenes are just as funny however. 

Robert Culp and Natalie Wood are ideal as the new "hip" modern couple. The scenes in the encounter group may seem dated today but I found them pretty funny, the actors downplay it but I still think there is some satire going on there. Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon get the funniest lines as the more strait-laced couple, and they are the two who got Oscar nominations. Gould provides a lot of laughs with his discomfort with the new sexual revolution going on. Cannon has a hilarious scene with her psychiatrist. Some people were disappointed with the ending but I think it worked quite well. Plus I love the use of Jackie DeShannon's hit "What The World Needs Now Is Love".

What do you think of this one?

• Like 3

I think it's a weak attempt to be "mature" with the abolishment of the production code, but they are still afraid to go all the way and show the couples actually having sex with each other. So it's an epic fail in my opinion.

I do feel the performances are decent. But the whole thing's a tease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's a weak attempt to be "mature" with the abolishment of the production code, but they are still afraid to go all the way and show the couples actually having sex with each other. So it's an epic fail in my opinion.

I do feel the performances are decent. But the whole thing's a tease.

But did you think it was funny? I know I laughed quite a bit.

Just now, Det Jim McLeod said:

But did you think it was funny? I know I laughed quite a bit.

It's amusing. But I prefer Dyan Cannon in something like SUCH GOOD FRIENDS (1971), a strange satire about suburban sex, directed by Otto Preminger. Preminger knows how to push the boundaries. Mazursky is too worried about keeping his film profitable, so he's letting "taste" dictate the outcome...and it's not as loose or outlandish as Preminger's picture.

Preminger and Altman were the directors who knew how to take advantage of the post-code freedom of this era. Mazursky is a rank amateur compared to them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

TCM showed this last night and I love it, rate it 8/10.

What do you think of this one?

Because it APEARS to be a film taking itself seriously its satire goes over some people's heads.  I loved it then and now.

• Like 2

I put off seeing the movie for many years, as I wasn't interested in the story or the cast, and some people that I knew that had seen it were not very favorable toward it. It wasn't until I started trying to see all of the Oscar-nominated films that I eventually got around to it, and going into it with very reserved expectations, I ended up liking it more than I expected. I was particularly fond of Gould, an actor that I don't always warm to.

• Like 2

The satire definitely goes over the head of some viewers. I enjoyed it quite a bit when it first came out. This film made people believe that Elliott Gould was going to become a big star. I'm not fond of the ending, but I did love Gould's great line that goes something like "So we'll have the **** and then go hear Tony Bennett."

• Like 1

I was a kid when this movie came out, so all I knew about it was it was "adult themed". It never came up again until TCM broadcast it a few years ago, so I watched it.

Although I don't recall anything specific, I remember enjoying it and chuckling over how tame it was by today's standards. I enjoy sex comedies very much but am uncomfortable watching sex scenes in movies, so this was right up my alley.

My library has SUCH GOOD FRIENDS so I requested it. Thanks for mentioning it!

• Like 1

I remember that when a group of us went to see it at our local theater we had to show ID to get in!  :D

And whatta disappointment! :angry:

To me, it's largely remembered for it's GAY version;  "Bob, DARELL, Ted and ALEX"!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Because it APEARS to be a film taking itself seriously its satire goes over some people's heads.  I loved it then and now.

Totally spot on and exactly what I was thinking. Especially the encounter group sequence, where everyone is encouraged to tell their "true feelings", and scream and have group hugs. It seems to be doing this with a straight face but really just sets up many comedic scenes later on.

18 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Totally spot on and exactly what I was thinking. Especially the encounter group sequence, where everyone is encouraged to tell their "true feelings", and scream and have group hugs. It seems to be doing this with a straight face but really just sets up many comedic scenes later on.

The main reason the satire is not so apparent is that the characters are sincere and not playing things for laughs.  There is no 'wink wink.'  Robert Culp is right out there.  :lol:

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings