Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stephen444

TCM and aspect ratio

The various aspects shown on some movies is now quite noticeable from film to film, and most of the time, it doesn't annoy me, but since it's been brought to everyone's attention, I've been noticing some glaring differences.  I think it was pointed out last month during the airing of "All The Brothers Were Valiant".  The film shown took up about 2/3 of the screen on my television, and I thought the title could have been changed to "All The Brothers Were Squat, But Beefy"!  A few hours later, TCM showed the 1962 version of "Mutiny on the Bounty", and the ratio was much, much worse.  The black bars above and below the film took up about one half of the screen.  The version shown of this film could have been called, "Mutiny on a Tugboat".

Sunday night when "The Misfits" was shown, the opening credits were butchered because the ratio enveloped the entire screen (or seemingly so).  If you hadn't seen the picture before, you could tell that Clark Gable, Eli Wallach, and Thelma Ritter were in the film during the opening credits.  But the viewer would have been left wondering who in the world 'arilyn onroe' and 'ontgomery lift' were.  They also could have erroneously thought the director of the film was John Husto.  Anybody else experience this problem Sunday when "The Misfits" aired?  Like I said, most of the time these differences don't bug me, but it's been quite noticeable on some movies over the past several weeks, and it sort of spoils the viewing experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, midwestan said:

The various aspects shown on some movies is now quite noticeable from film to film, and most of the time, it doesn't annoy me, but since it's been brought to everyone's attention, I've been noticing some glaring differences.

TCM for the last month plus seems to be having some sort of scaling issue with SD content that makes motion choppy (most noticeable in camera pans.)  Some of the odd aspect ratio stretching and squashing must be related to it.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:26 AM, midwestan said:

The various aspects shown on some movies is now quite noticeable from film to film, and most of the time, it doesn't annoy me, but since it's been brought to everyone's attention, I've been noticing some glaring differences.  I think it was pointed out last month during the airing of "All The Brothers Were Valiant".  The film shown took up about 2/3 of the screen on my television, and I thought the title could have been changed to "All The Brothers Were Squat, But Beefy"!  A few hours later, TCM showed the 1962 version of "Mutiny on the Bounty", and the ratio was much, much worse.  The black bars above and below the film took up about one half of the screen.  The version shown of this film could have been called, "Mutiny on a Tugboat".

Sunday night when "The Misfits" was shown, the opening credits were butchered because the ratio enveloped the entire screen (or seemingly so).  If you hadn't seen the picture before, you could tell that Clark Gable, Eli Wallach, and Thelma Ritter were in the film during the opening credits.  But the viewer would have been left wondering who in the world 'arilyn onroe' and 'ontgomery lift' were.  They also could have erroneously thought the director of the film was John Husto.  Anybody else experience this problem Sunday when "The Misfits" aired?  Like I said, most of the time these differences don't bug me, but it's been quite noticeable on some movies over the past several weeks, and it sort of spoils the viewing experience.

I don't know about the live airing but I watched The Misfits on TCM streaming and the credits were fine.  In fact the film was shown in it's correct aspect ratio of 1.66:1 with thin black bars on the sides

The Misfits.jpg