Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For valor above and beyond the call of duty.

slaytonf

Actors are known for their dedication to the craft.  The lengths they go to deliver a worthwhile performance are well-documented, if not entirely understandable.  But sometimes an actor endures such extraordinary circumstances, putting their bodies (and their credibility) on the line to such an extent, they deserve recognition for valor.  For this award, with the special blue and scarlet accented trouper ribbon, and oakleaf cluster for up-for-it-ness, I nominate Rosalind Russell in Wonderful Town (1958).  In what appears to be a kinescope film of the TV production of the play for which she won the Tony for Best Actress (1953), Ms. Russell dances the conga with Brazilian naval types.  In it, she is subjected to treatment usually reserved for the likes of Eleanor Powell.  But she's a game sister.  Salads don't get tossed around as much as she does.  You know, I just thought--she did this every night, and twice on Saturday.  Good God:

But it's a terrific show, and is what people mean when they talk about the Golden Age of television.  Catch it on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You give a great example of a magnificent performance by Russell, so mine will not be as impressive, but I do think DeNiro's attempt to portray Jake LaMotta in "Raging Bull" with his weight metamorphosis and boxing skills learned was impressive.

Thanks for an interesting topic!

• Thanks 1

I don't remember the name of the movie( and also never saw it), but I remember seeing a photo of TOMMY LEE JONES with a shaven top of his head( to appear as a bald much older man) for some film role.  I don't suppose too that he was the only actor to do so( the gorgeous late Indian actress PERSIS KHAMBATTA actually shaved her head for that STAR TREK movie!) but in a profession most people think represents the EPITOME of vanity, that's saying something!  ;)

Sepiatone. 

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't remember the name of the movie( and also never saw it), but I remember seeing a photo of TOMMY LEE JONES with a shaven top of his head( to appear as a bald much older man) for some film role. 

That was when he played Ty Cobb in "Cobb" (1994), when he accepted his Oscar for "The Fugitive" he had that shaved head.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings