Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

The Movie With Charlton Heston That Inspired Steven Spielberg And George Lucas To Make Raiders Of The Lost Ark

What’s that movie called again with Charlton Heston you guys told me about that inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to make Raiders Of The Lost where his outfit looked exactly like Harrison Ford’s?  Besides Valley Of The Kings?  Maybe since they’re showing adventure films during the day today?  Maybe it’s on today.  Valley Of The Kings is on right now.

There's a thread on Secret Of The Incas somewhere here in General Discussions. I remember adding a photo of Yma Sumac to it (my fave aspect of that movie)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

There's a thread on Secret Of The Incas somewhere here in General Discussions. I remember adding a photo of Yma Sumac to it (my fave aspect of that movie)

Yes, I couldn't find the previous thread. 

TCM still has never aired this great film.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Try here:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/257026-the-charlton-heston-movie-that-inspired-steven-spielberg-and-george-lucas-to-make-raiders-of-the-lost-ark/?tab=comments#comment-1902627

• Thanks 1

I found Secret of the Incas to be an undistinguished, minor time waster. It's okay, that's about it. If people didn't make connections with it to the Spielberg film only a few would ever mention it.

Just now, TomJH said:

I found Secret of the Incas to be an undistinguished, minor time waster. It's okay, that's about it. If people didn't make connections with it to the Spielberg film only a few would ever mention it.

It is on youtube and I too was thoroughly unimpressed. heston being outfoxed and outgunned by an aging uncle billy?

:lol:

a pos that is a pretty poor adventure film and you have to put up with that sumac woman who is singing constantly.

:o

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I agree, I don't remember much about it, having seen it on You Tube several years ago. I guess it has some historical significance as being Robert Young's last film appearance before his television career took off.

Oddly, the National Legion of Decency gave the film a "B" rating (Morally Objectionable in Part for All) for "low moral tone, suggestive situations." I guess they didn't have a ranking for "overrated."

30 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I agree, I don't remember much about it, having seen it on You Tube several years ago. I guess it has some historical significance as being Robert Young's last film appearance before his television career took off.

Oddly, the National Legion of Decency gave the film a "B" rating (Morally Objectionable in Part for All) for "low moral tone, suggestive situations." I guess they didn't have a ranking for "overrated."

Thomas Mitchell plays a low life creep in the film, if I remember correctly, Charlton Heston's out-for-himself character isn't much to root for, the leading lady left no impression and Robert Young is, well, Robert Young. Not much to get excited about here.

And the thing is the film has such a great title, too, wasted on a nothing film.

I would imagine the Legion of Decency had a problem with the scenes at the beginning between Glenda Farrell and Charlton Heston. 

I love this film so much. The scenery is great. The background shots done in the studio are also quite good, since the art design is excellent.

The supporting cast and even the extras in the background feel more authentic than in other films of this period.

I also like unusual casting-- so having Robert Young interacting with Charlton Heston is kind of fun to watch. Young was older but still attractive and could have continued his movie career (as a second lead and in supporting roles). But TV was beckoning.

3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

That's funny TopBilled. I remember, when I watched it, thinking "This sure reminds me of Raiders of the Lost Ark!".

Yeah, chicken or egg...which came first.

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

It is on youtube and I too was thoroughly unimpressed. heston being outfoxed and outgunned by an aging uncle billy?

:lol:

a pos that is a pretty poor adventure film and you have to put up with that sumac woman who is singing constantly.

:o

Whaddya talking about, Nipkow? Yma Sumac's fabulous ! I adore her. 

I'll never forget the first time I heard her amazing voice. My friend and I were going through her dad's record collection. We stumbled across, I think it's called "Mambo!", and threw it on the player. I remember we were both delighted at the sheer liveliness and audacity of the singer, her intensity and her range. We had a blast, we found some colourful scarves of her mother's and started dancing around like crazy.  I'm pretty sure this was one of the tracks - it was pure fun to listen and dance to.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

My friend and I were going through her dad's record collection. We stumbled across, I think it's called "Mambo!", and threw it on the player

Finding Yma Sumac on vinyl is like hen's teeth-I'd love even ONE of her LP records.

Sadly, all I have are reissued CDs, starting with those Capitol "Ultra-Lounge" disks like that Mambo one. It's a great compilation series, all remastered of very rare vinyl recordings, about 25 in the series. (there's a bongo, exotica, space age, saxophone, crime theme among others)

I think based on the success of the Ultra Lounge, Capitol reissued both of Sumac's LPs on CD, which are excellent.

I first heard & was mesmerized by her on the first "tribute" CD I can remember called STAY AWAKE, a celebration of Disney songs. It's the ONLY recording of Sumac in stereo. I was lucky enough to get her autograph a few years before she died. She was very eccentric & sweet.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Mrs. Manicotti was the greatest mambo dancer of all time.