Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, MarshaKatz said:

I've never seen any of these films....just not my cup of tea.

BELLE STARR (1941)

King's stories appeal to a certain audience. With the exception of MISERY, most of the film adaptations haven't done well at the box office. However, I have a feeling the PET SEMATARY remake will be a hit.

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

King's stories appeal to a certain audience. With the exception of MISERY, most of the film adaptations haven't done well at the box office. However, I have a feeling the PET SEMATARY remake will be a hit.

??  It was HUGE; as were Stand by Me, Carrie, The Shining, The Green Mile.  I actually like his earlier works better, and I'm no horror/gore fan.

Here's one that I did like (although the book was better..) 

Needful Things  Image result for needful things movie

Just now, shutoo said:

??  It was HUGE; as were Stand by Me, Carrie, The Shining, The Green Mile.  I actually like his earlier works better, and I'm no horror/gore fan.

Some of these films became cult classics and did better in the home video market, than they did first-run in the theaters. Though THE SHINING was definitely a hit out of the gate. IT was initially done as a 192-minute television miniseries, which I think was a wise decision. Not all King's books are suited to feature films.

Some of the adaptations haven't fared as well as studios expected. THE DARK HALF flopped at the box office. DOLORES CLAIBORNE turned a profit, but still underperformed. CUJO had also underperformed, but went on to become a cult classic.

Because his books never seem to go out of print, films adapted from his stories seem to have a shelf life that other adaptations don't enjoy.

THE GREEN MILE was one I saw during its initial run in the theater, and I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't care for it. I did see MISERY when it hit theaters, and I rate it more highly than the others-- but that was down to the acting and Goldman's adaptation. The basic premise was kind of weak. Goldman expanded the supporting characters and made sure plenty of action occurred outside the cabin, which helped eliminate the claustrophobic aspects of the novel.

• Like 1