Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies for Dummies

I think any films with such passive aggressive personalities as a ventriloquist and his mouthy partner, are fun to watch and my favorite is "Devil Doll" with Bryant Haliday. Oh, it also stars...Hugo.

Haliday is famous also for his connection to Janus films, if his name seems unfamiliar.

I realize this topic may not be ultra-popular, but I know I will have at least one poster respond, as always!

Gotta ask here, CG.

Just the other night on FETV, I happened to catch the following episode of the Bob Newhart Show...

(...and so the question being: Did you also catch this the other night, and is this what has prompted your thread here?)

• Thanks 1

I'm a firm fan of William Goldman's 'Magic'. '78 I think. Hopkins gives an astute performance as Corky Withers, struggling ventriloquist. Burgess Meredith, smokin' hot Ann Margaret, and the wonderful Ed Lauter co-star. A love triangle. Jerry Goldsmith score. What's not to like? Eerie.

Its also the basis of one of my fave comeback lines:

"Oh, so you know what I'm going to say next?" "No, I'm not a ventriloquist, Mister McNaughton"!

• Thanks 1

p.s. Although I've heard quite a bit of Bergen & McCarthy they are usually a little threadbare in their humor. Patches wearing thin around the elbows. Not sure how else to say it. To like them, you have to possess a taste for slightly rickety, clumsy, creaking humor. They're not a finesse or polished act. To think that at one time they were America's most idolized comedy team is some feat of imagination.

Agree that guest appearances by WC Fields were the best episodes. Dorothy Lamour...eh, not a great radio comedienne and Don Ameche...well...just barely tolerable.

The most hilarious Bergen show I've ever heard was their 10 yr anniversay broadcast. Rudy Vallee (who gave them their start) was asked to say a few words about their break into show business. "Ladies and Gentlemen...I apologize" he jeered. Ouch! lol

My fave ventriloquist is 'Chuck & Bob' from Susan Harris' 'Soap' TV parody.

Least fave: Waylon Flowers and 'Madam'

• Like 1

Actually, I always liked Bergen-McCarthy.  The "wiseacre" lines Bergen fed the McCarthy "dummy" were really quite good IMHO....

But too, Bergen was good(in later times) at self deprecation, usually at "McCarthy's" mercy.  to whit:

Back in the '70's, Bergen (with McCarthy) did a PARKAY margarine commercial.  It had Bergen taking a bite of a muffin and commenting, "I really enjoy a fresh muffin with Parkay margarine spread on it..."  and when the Parkay container utters,"Butter!", Bergen turns to McCarthy and asks, "What was that, Charlie?"  And McCarthy answers, "I didn't say anything.  your LIPS didn't move...."  ;)   

And I always thought the idea that one of the more successful programs on RADIO starred a ventriloquist!  :D  AND his "dummy".

Sepiatone

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I want this. Xfinlty/Comcast does not include FETV where I live.

Yeah, as you may know M.R., FETV's "retro" programming is very similar to MeTV's.

(...the latter of which I used to have when I had cable service, but then no longer had after we switched to Dish satellite service a couple years ago, and which doesn't provide MeTV, just FETV)

• Like 1

Well Dargo, I sent a little note to FETV, and they "may have good news for me soon." I do not have MeTV. It was a sub-channel here in the SF Bay Area. I don't have Antenna TV either. The only really good retro channel we have is Cozi.

When TCM is not showing something I want to see at that particular time, I sort of stare at the remote wondering what to do. Then I do the "death scroll." Should I switch to Dish?

About this thread, just explain to CaveGirl, in this case, I am the dummy.

• Haha 1