Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Those T. C. M. film festivals and cruises

I have to say that those classic film fans who take opportunity to go to those event are truly casual fans. They are just vacationers using film history  as an excuse to take a trip and don't really care about film history., In general . You see I take trips to and I also take opportunity where I go, unless there is something that's there that I wanted to see or buy then I am at the right place at the right time T. C. M . vacationers are not real classic film fans not by my standards. They are just fans of what T . C. M . has to offer.

whatever. all I know is that I wouldn't go on a tcm film cruise if they begged me because it would be no fun for anyone without my matchless presence on board.

tough. I should save their cruises when they won't put on hot spell.

:D

22 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

whatever. all I know is that I wouldn't go on a tcm film cruise if they begged me because it would be no fun for anyone without my matchless presence on board.

Maybe they've been showing HOT SPELL on the cruises. 

• Haha 2

TCM Classic Film Festival to Fete Ted Turner

"The TCM Classic Film Festival will pay tribute to Turner Classic Movies founder Ted Turner during a special presentation on April 11, the opening night of the four-day festival now in its 10th year in Los Angeles.

Turner was an architect of the modern media landscape with his pioneering efforts as a cable TV programmer with CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network and the 1994 launch of TCM. In the mid-1980s he made a huge bet on the value of timeless content with his acquisition of the pre-1948 MGM movie library, among other vaults. Turner sold Turner Broadcasting System to Time Warner for $7.5 billion in 1996........

“Turner Classic Movies was a passion project of mine, born of my love for classic films,” Turner. “I’m very proud to have played a role in honoring these great works through the years, and hope they continue to provide just as much joy and entertainment to TCM viewers as they have to me.” ........

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/ted-turnertcm-classic-film-festival-1203179268/

H'ummm. I'm not sure I'd embark on an ocean voyage if the goal was to recline in a chair to watch television or movies. Even the Food Network has got to have better cruises than that, I'm thinking.

"Why, once in Italy, an entire village pelted me with roses..."

On 3/25/2019 at 7:17 PM, NipkowDisc said:

:D

So Nip, would this be your way of saying to never bother asking you for a light of my smoke?

(...can't think it would mean anything else)

;)

• Haha 1

“TCM is a brand, not just a TV network,” says Jennifer Dorian, exec VP and general manager of TCM. “Much of our future growth will come from fan engagement initiatives.” .....

“We’re really energized by the new structure,” Dorian says. “Being in the Warner Bros. fold will put us closer to the movies and to creative ideas. There are new opportunities for fans, for consumer products that will really add to our business.” ......

https:

//variety.com/2019/tv/features/turner-classic-movies-25-anniversary-ted-turner-1203183315/

• Haha 1

:unsure:

How the TCM festival brings Old Hollywood to life for four days – and makes it more inclusive

"Since it launched as a network 25 years ago this week, Turner Classic Movies has been dedicated to carrying the torch for classic cinema. When they launched their now annual film festival ten years ago, they sought to double down on that in an even more experiential way – by literally bringing a semblance of Old Hollywood to life in the spaces it once existed for four days every spring.

With the TCM Classic Film Festival, Turner Classic Movies not only contributes to the celebration and preservation of the films themselves, but takes things a step further and preserves the history of the film-going experience....

But in resurrecting classic Hollywood, via both the network and more vividly at the festival, TCM faces unique challenges — the Golden Age of Hollywood by its nature was not an inclusive space. The studio system was dominated by white men perpetuating a worldview that often foregrounded racism, sexism, and homophobia. Movies have been and always will be a product of their time. How then, can TCM, both pay tribute to the glamour of Hollywood’s past and make the festival (and the network by extension) a more diverse and inclusive venture?

Both Changnon and TCM host Ben Mankiewicz acknowledge how crucial nostalgia is to the entire experience TCM offers, but stress how the network strives to make sure it’s not divorced from contemporary conversations. “I always talk about there’s a vigor in our nostalgia, so we don’t want it to just be stepping into a deserted attic,” Changnon says of designing physical spaces for the festival. “We want it to feel very much alive and connected and influencing what happens in the world today.”.........

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/10/tcm-festival-inclusivity/

Here is is an alternative to TCM FESTIVAL.  IT IS THE LAST REMAINING SEATS hosted by LOS ANGELES CONSERVANCY.  They had the festival idea since the 1980s.  They were the originators that TCM copied. It is a wondErful venue and you are helping save Historical movie palaces in the Los Angeles area.  This year,The Conservancy is going into the iconic ART DECO WILTERN THEATRE to SHOW CLASSIC FILMS.  .This is a first.  The Wiltern is so much more beautiful than the gaudy Grauman's Chinese theatre.  It is known for being an ugly theatre. Not too may people have the opportunity to get to tour the Wiltern .  The Conservancy docents willo show places in the theatre that the general public never sees.

Last Remaining Seats

Join us in June for classic films in historic theatres!

2019 Last Remaining Seats Lineup

Saturday, June 1, 8 p.m.
It Happened One Night (1934)
Los Angeles Theatre
Saturday, June 8, 2 p.m.
Los tallos amargos (1956, Argentina)
Million Dollar Theatre
Co-presented with the Latin American Cinemateca of Los Angeles
Saturday, June 8, 8 p.m.
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Million Dollar Theatre
Sunday, June 16, 3 p.m.
Epic Sunday: Spartacus (1960)
Theatre at Ace Hotel
Saturday, June 22, 2 p.m.
A Day with Laurel & Hardy
The Battle of the Century (1927; silent*)
Sons of the Desert (1933)
Orpheum Theatre
*Featuring live accompaniment on the Orpheum’s Mighty Wurlitzer organ
Saturday, June 22, 8 p.m.
Rebecca (1940)
Orpheum Theatre
Saturday, June 29, 2 p.m.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Wiltern
Saturday, June 29, 8 p.m.
Network (1976)
The Wiltern

Conservancy member presale happening now! Join today to take advantage of the member presale! General public sales begin on Wednesday, April 10 at 10 a.m.

I think it's cool that people like to go on cruises and attend festivals. I'm all for people having fun.

What I do find strange is when some people start to define themselves by those activities...as if they may be somehow more privileged or entitled doing those things. Like there's a weird status put on some of that and it starts to seem phony. Sometimes (not all the time).

And I am also concerned that on some level they are being conned into paying more for those things than they should.