Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, CaveGirl! Who does this lady on Groucho's old show look like here?

If you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents, I happen to  know that episode mighty well. I'm a big fan of YBYL. But I don't know the answer to the question you clearly have in mind.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

If you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents, I happen to  know that episode mighty well. I'm a big fan of YBYL. But I don't know the answer to the question you clearly have in mind.

Don't mind at all, Sarge.

As you've probably noticed after all this time, I start very few threads around here, and so any and all contributions to the few that I do start are always welcome.

(...heck, even if they might be off-topic)

Its been maybe 16 months since I last watched any of this series but as I recall, she was a sprightly, spry old soul with lots of pep and feistiness; very quick with a tart or blunt reply. Groucho teased her about her age at first; and she batted balls right back at him. Then they chatted about her lifestyle. I believe she ran a boarding house or discussed (at length) something to do with baking; or how many husbands she had survived; or something like that. Is she someone famous? Groucho often had formerly famous people on his show since he took all ages of people from the audience. Things like identical twins had the audience roaring. Really an amazing cross-section of American life at the time. Frankie Avalon appeared once (and they sang together); Tony Curtis' mom was once a guest.

I believe I've spoken about it before but my favorite episode is where one of the biggest musical stars of the 1930s, cherubic vocalist and bandleader Pinky Tomlin appears, now all grown up and working as an oil executive, married and with grown children. If this doesn't make you choke up I don't know what will. Groucho himself does a deep double-take. "You're not --you're not Pinky TOMLIN, are you?" And they shake hands; two of the biggest names of that decade. And then Groucho asks him if he would be pleased to do a number for them? And Pinky says yes, he'd be very pleased. He steps to the mike and the band carries him in --Jerry Goldsmith with the baton--and he belts out "Object of My Affection" and his voice is the same as it always was, and his face lights up as it always did, this grown man looking all of seventeen years old again. Extraordinary.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:23 PM, Dargo said:

(...figured you might know) ;)

Well, to begin with I'm sorry I missed this thread originally, Dargo.

Now, on to business, if you are wondering who this lady reminds me of, I would say the most likely actress is...Ethel Griffies.

Now she does have some resemblance also to the Una O'Connor school with a bit of Hermione Gingold and Mildred Natwick mixed in, but wasn't she really a landlady or something?

Hope I've answered your question properly?

P.S. She also could be a relative of Estelle Winwood!

• Like 1

Well, to begin with I'm sorry I missed this thread originally, Dargo.

Now, on to business, if you are wondering who this lady reminds me of, I would say the most likely actress is...Ethel Griffies.

Now she does have some resemblance also to the Una O'Connor school with a bit of Hermione Gingold and Mildred Natwick mixed in, but wasn't she really a landlady or something?

Hope I've answered your question properly?

P.S. She also could be a relative of Estelle Winwood!

Yeah, I can see some of each of those actresses in this lady's face too, now that you've mentioned it.

(...but still mostly Una, and probably because of the long narrow nose both have)

• 4 months later...