Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Passionate Friends"

rayban

i honestly cannot remember how long it has been (probably more than five years) since I've seen it, and I saw it only once, but I remember distinctly...

I caught it when it had been playing for a little bit, so I missed the opening credits, and while I recognized ANN TODD and CLAUDE RAINS, I had no idea what the movie was, but I was interested. and then there is a scene near the end where ANN TODD is in the LONDON UNDERGROUND and she is, I am thinking, contemplating suicide, and the scene was SO well put-together- lighting, camera, sound, almost EPIC in quality- and I thought "who directed this?" and then when it was done I imdb'd it and saw it was David Lean and understood.

• Like 2

For the time it was made, British censors were no different from those in America, and they might have objected to the film having a 'bummer' ending.  Or, perhaps David Lean was aware of potential controversy if the story had an alternative ending.  Having never seen "The Passionate Friends" until yesterday, the ending was somewhat surprising to me, but satisfying nonetheless.

• Like 2

I think she makes the right choice at the end. And the husband makes the right choice forgiving her. The passion between her and the friend was illusory. She found her way back to reality at the end, and the fantasy dissipated into the ether. 

A lot of these romantic movies try to glorify extra-marital "romance" but in this film that didn't happen. It's the antithesis to BRIEF ENCOUNTER. And a much stronger realistic story because of it.

screen-shot-2019-03-26-at-8.12.27-am.jpe

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

One of my favorites, thanks to Rains and the incredible emotion packed into that final scene.

It's the film's final 15 minutes that stays with me, beautifully shot and edited. Rains is a marvel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings