Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cooper, jeane

MOVIE SCENES YOU TRIED TO EMULATE IN REAL LIFE

As a kid I was really taken with "The 300 Spartans" with Richard Egan. My friends and the neighborhood kids made wooden swords and spears of bamboo poles. For shields we used aluminum trash can covers. Soon not a single trash can lid in the neighborhood fit on its' can. It's a wonder we didn't "PUT SOMEBODY'S EYE OUT." As I stated in a previous post I entertain the family at Christmas with my rendition of George Bailey's tirade against his uncle for loosing the deposits. Folks think it's funny to hear Jimmy Stewart (I do a great "Jimmy" and am not at all modest about it) screaming obsenities. "Uncle Billy you silly old fool! Where'd you put the money you piece of ****!!!" At MY house it's always a wonderful life in Pottersville.....

I was looking through old threads and this one caught my attention.

When I read the subject of the thread the first thing that came to mind was a time that my DAD tried to emulate a movie. My brother and I had just seen "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (I was about 10 years old--he was 9) and it scared the hell out of us. When we went to bed that night my dad threw a laundry basket he had wrapped up in green towels out into the hallway (we couldn't see from our bedrooms where the thing came from) as he was yellin' "Oh my god!! PODS!!!". My mom started yellin' at him--he was laughin' his **** off--my brother and I were in shock. I laugh my **** off now when I remember it....my dad was/is such a nut.

As for myself, I probably use more lines from movies than I could list; but a few from "Gone With the Wind" are comin' to mind right now. Growing up my house was always FREEZING cold (my dad liked it around 54 degrees--must be the Scots in him--used to the cold and cheap ;)) so my motto is " As God is my witness, I'll never be COLD again!"....I keep it nice and toasty warm in my house! And I often say "After all ... tomorrow is another day."

Hee heee!

I often use the "As God as my witness, I'll never be again!" and "After all...tomorrow is another day" too!

Well, I guess it's time for me to come clean. Of all the people and movies, it's Ruth Gordon in "Every Which Way But Loose" that I copy when I cuss. I have no explanation for this, other than she says "God dammit" with such fiesty conviction that it somehow lodged in my brain to say it too, and just like Ruth Gordon says it, when it fits the situation I find myself in. And I tend to have a lot of situations (smile). ML

Vertigo - The first time I visited the Golden Gate Park area of San Francisco with my girlfriend, we decided to go down to Old Fort Pointe where Kim Novak's character fell into the ocean just before Jimmy Stewart's character dove in to save her in Vertigo. We went up to the exact spot where Novak dove in, and as much as I'd like to say that we re-enacted the scene, there was a lot more rock then water over the edge of the pointe, and if we were to jump in we would have either drowned.... or drowned.

But anyways, we went there and thought about the movie.

jonathan

I gotta dumb little story I'm reluctant to even tell but am gonna go for it anyway. It has to do with that '89 Batman flick w/Michael Keaton. That movie was profoundly influential to my little brother who was about four/five at the time. Well now, ya know that final part of that movie, where Batman was standin' on that building gazin' at the "Bat signal" bein' projected onto the clouds? My brother would draw up a bat signal and have our mom tape it up on the wall while he stood on a chair w/a towel for a cape, imagining that scene from the movie. Yup. He continued to be Batman obssesed for a few more years. He got up on our roof once wearing a Batman costume a couple/few years later, also. He has moved on from Batman but he's still looney.

I think your story about your little brother is a cute one, Tony, and thanks for sharing it with us (smile).

When I was a little kid, my whole neighborhood was big on playing "Cowboys and Indians" (usually after seeing a Western movie on Saturday afternoon), and I always elected to play Roy Rogers (I had a really neat toy gun and holster, plus cowboy boots and a cowboy hat because I also owned and rode a horse. Looking back, this is fodder for thought, considering that I was the only Indian kid in our neighborhood.

ML

Glad you think so, ML! I liked your story, too...

When I was at college, I had watch "A Streetcar Named Desire" and I was very impressed with Marlon Brando's performance as Stanley Kowalski. When I had clash with one girl, I immediately put on act like Stanley Kowalski and caused trouble in cafeteria. I even pull "I'm king" speech on her. Come to think of it, it was right choice to make. I'm not going regret for that one.

Wow Classic, You just reminded me of our neighborhood gang playing war - constantly. There was always about a dozen of us so we either split into teams or re-enact a scene with imaginary foes. The rule was if a "soldier" on the other team shot you had to count to 10 before you can get back into the war. On rainy days I would play with my plastic soldiers and re-enact my favorite war movies or the Magnificent 7. At the time, and still today, this memory brings a smile to me. It also makes me somber, this was the mid to late 60's - then reality hit. The war on the news made playing war unfun.

Those guys could not count to 10 and come home. For a kid 5 to ten years old it kind of sticks with you. Those friends and times were great while it lasted.

YES!!!

I was clint eastwood as the man with no name, in the sergio leone westerns...which was real funny cause I was a little chubby jewish 8 year old kid!

TOTALLY embarrassing but true.....

When I was about 8 years old I thought Wonder Woman was way cool. I remember when my family and I were vacationing in Florida and I had just come down with the stomach flu, my dad and uncle went out and bought me a Wonder Woman bathing suit as a surprise. Man! I was thrilled!! As soon as I got over the flu I was battling evil, saving my younger brother from drowning in the pool (which he wasn't b.t.w.-- but he played along -- he was 7). Hell, I even remember the beginning of the theme song.....

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.

All the world's waiting for you,

and the power you possess.

In your satin tights,

Fighting for your rights

And the old Red, White and Blue.

****.....I was such a dork! Hmmmmm.....come to think of it, I still am :P

> For me it was Grace Kelly pulling no punches in "To

> Catch a Thief". When she turned at her door and put

> her arm around Cary Grant to initiate the kiss - I

> thought "I gotta try this!"

>

Luckily, that was met with much more

> success than in college when 3 of us decided to do

> Gene Kelly's "Singing in the Rain" routine during a

> massive rain storm. Our antics got us noticed by

> Pittsburgh's finest and a ride in the squad car back

> to the dorm.

How about anyone

> else?

LOL Uh... okay, I broke my leg at age seven by trying to emulate "Supergirl," jumping off my five-foot concrete porch.

My little neighbor friends and I tried to set leaves on fire with pyrokinesis after watching "Firestarter." (Probably not the greatest movie for a kid to watch... not every kid w/access to a lighter would've waited around for the pyrokinesis to kick in... LOL!!)

Not exactly a *scene* per se, but... as a little kid I had to be R2D2 when we played Star Wars every afternoon after school with my cousins.

***Not by choice.***

I was the youngest girl and my sister *always* got to be Princess Leia. *ALWAYS*

It was humiliating... they made me make those stupid computer noises and everything. Emotional scars, I'm telling you...

(by the way, the singin' in the rain story was PHENOMENAL)

OH MY GOODNESS, I'm so silly, I forgot entirely! There WAS a scene that I tried to play out:

Two years ago my best friend and I went on a trip across Europe. So when we were in Rome we made a day to trace Audrey Hepburn's steps in Roman Holiday. By the end of the day we made it to the Bocca della Verita and there was a line of people waiting to see it. So my friend and I wink at each other: she takes the camera and when it's my turn in line I go up to the mouth of truth and stick my hand in there. She says, "Ok, hold still" and I smile with my hand in the mouth and then, just before she clicks the camera, I let out the loudest scream I could.

The little kid in front of the line cried.

It was awesome.

(I've got that picture somewhere... I gotta find it again...)

I used to play scenes from the Sound of Music when I was 12 & 13. I used to think I was Julie Andrews--LOL

LTL I hope the swelling went away soon (after the kid's Mom popped you):P Brak I had a similar, more embarressing experiece with movie music. When I was about 11 or 12 I was a nut for Greek and Roman films with the big battle scenes (hence my seeing Gladiator in the theatre 3 times)and I had a Roman helmet, sword and shield. The theme to Exodus was suitably dramatic and grandiose and I would play it and then do stylized sword-play in time to the music. My Dad caught me once,and laughed at my "little dance". From then on whenever I played Exodus he dashed into the rec room and shouted: "Aha! Caught you again!" So I of course turned to drugs :)

My childhood home had an unfinished basement. It had always been fill to the ceiling with my grandmothers stuff. After she moved into her own house the basement was totally empty. The neighbor kids would come over and we would play The Mummy, Frankenstein, The Wolfman or the Creature of the Black Lagoon. There would be about 10 kids and one of us (usually a kid named Tommy who was the tallest) was the monster and chase us in the dark through a maze of rooms. we would scream our heads off.

When I was a teenager I accidently kicked a hole in the wall. I took a movie poster and covered over it. (Shawshank Redemption) only when my sister moved it three months later was it discovered and I was punished.

I tellz ya, kaneboop, my brother and I (mostly my brother) kicked sooo many holes in the walls it isn't even funny. It wasn't exactly accidental, either.