Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fat Jokes In Movies And TV

In this P.C. world of today, it is not considered right to laugh at fat jokes, but years ago in movies and TV they were funny.

"Duck Soup"

Groucho Marx to Margaret Dumont -"I can see you now bending over a hot stove, but I can't see the stove"

"The Honeymooners" 

Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason) "Don't we have any lard around here?"

Alice (Audrey Meadows) "Yeah about 300 lbs of it!"

Any others?

Flintstones

Fred and Barney buy a sweepstakes ticket together. Barney takes it and hides it in his house. Fred's evil conscience convinces him that he should be the one to hold the ticket. On his way to break in to Barney's, Fred has second thoughts. "I feel like a big, fat crook." His evil conscience replies, "So you're fat. Does that mean you're dishonest?"

Boy, would I love to go back in time and sit in on some of these writing sessions, not only for the Flintstones, but Looney Tunes as well. 

29 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Flintstones

Fred and Barney buy a sweepstakes ticket together. Barney takes it and hides it in his house. Fred's evil conscience convinces him that he should be the one to hold the ticket. On his way to break in to Barney's, Fred has second thoughts. "I feel like a big, fat crook." His evil conscience replies, "So you're fat. Does that mean you're dishonest?"

Boy, would I love to go back in time and sit in on some of these writing sessions, not only for the Flintstones, but Looney Tunes as well. 

"The Flintstones" (1994)

Fred....I'm only one man.

Barney....Not from the back.

----------------------------------

Pearl Slaghoople (Wilma's mother).....What has he ever provided you besides shade? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVlYliqeMTghgHYjs1vMu

Chubby Chaney in the Our Gang short "Helping Grandma"

The gang is trying to convince two chain store owners that they should not buy their Grandma's general store, saying everyone is poor and starving in the town.

Chubby-"It's getting me down too, I used to be fat!"

Image result for chubby chaney photos

• Haha 1

Oddly, you'd think there would have been PLENTY of them, back in those PC vapid days, of "fat jokes" permeating much of LAUREL and HARDY shorts.  Sure, there'd be situations in which  Hardy's weight would be the cause of the comic situation, but never do I recall any mean spirited  remarks made about it.  And actually.....

In watching(daily) reruns of the old LEAVE IT TO BEAVER program, there's constant fun being poked at the CLARENCE RUTHERFORD character( Frank Bank),  starting with the nickname "Lumpy" , and Eddie Haskell always making remarks like calling him "fat stuff" and the like.

Sepiatone

17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Oddly, you'd think there would have been PLENTY of them, back in those PC vapid days, of "fat jokes" permeating much of LAUREL and HARDY shorts.  Sure, there'd be situations in which  Hardy's weight would be the cause of the comic situation, but never do I recall any mean spirited  remarks made about it. 

A Chump At Oxford (1940)

Laurel gets knocked on the head and his personality changes to a haughty upper class Englishman who treats Hardy as his lackey, calling him "Fatty" and he also tells him "Chin up! Both of them!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the Noir classic TENSION 1949, BARRY SULLIVAN'S character, makes light of WILLIAM CONRAD'S Big girth in the movie theatre interview scene.  Conrad is eying a bag of popcorn, which the manager gives to him as a professional courtesy.  Sulivan grabs the popcorn from Conrads hands and gives it to a little boy.  Finally, he rubs his stomach like one would do to a Buddha statue.Image result for barry sullivan william conrad tension

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife and I loved Chuck Lorre's sitcom Mike & Molly (she still watches the syndicated reruns), and which of course contained more than few fat jokes in many of its episodes.

alg-resize-mike-and-molly-jpg.jpg

(...and with some of those jokes self-deprecatingly delivered by the two leads here, and with others by the supporting players)

10 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Flintstones

Or when Wilma packed Fred's lunchbox for work, a three-foot Dagwood stack of sandwiches, sardines and drumsticks:  Fred says, "Have you forgotten anything?", and Wilma replies "Like what, the living-room sofa?"  They go through their daily ritual of closing the lunchbox--"Okay, 3-2-1: (squash!)(slam!)"--Fred gets his fingers caught in the slam, and Wilma says "Impossible, you couldn't get anything else in there."  :D

Rodney Dangerfield, OTOH, managed to make a profitable business out of fat jokes in Back to School (1986)

• Haha 1

"Nobody loves a fat man except his grocer and his tailor", from The Narrow Margin.

In the 1977 film Tentacles, Shelley Winters remarks that she wishes she could join her son and his friend in the junior sailboat regatta, to which the young friend replies, "Then we'd need a tornado to move the boat!" :lol:

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

...No, fat jokes, not fa(r)t jokes.  Please read more carefully.   😓

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"The Honeymooners" 

Alice (Audrey Meadows) "Yeah about 300 lbs of it!"

Ralph:  "That does it, Norton, you and me are through as pals!  I don't want nothin' to do with you anymore--From now on, when you see me coming down the street...get to the other side!"
Ed:  "When you come down the street...there AIN'T no other side!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Robert Wagner telling Paul Newman what happened to a vanished Hollywood starlet Newman (who plays 'Harper') must track down. "What happened to her?" "She got FAT!" And of course by then Shelley Winters actually had gained all that weight. But I always recall her in that flick with Liz and Monty as a little pipsqueak of a girl.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2019 at 10:34 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

"The Honeymooners" 

My favorite fat joke from The Honeymooners:

Ralph:   "This happens to be my guest, and I am your employer."

Thelma the Maid:  "Some guest and some employer: The simp and the blimp!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MINE from the HONEYMOONERS is...

Ralph is going on about how when he does some dumb stunt he thought up that it'll "make me a HERO!"  Then asks Alice, "You KNOW what a HERO is, don't you?"  AND Alice answers, "Yeah.  It's a FAT SANDWICH full of BALONEY!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Dargo said:

My wife and I loved Chuck Lorre's sitcom Mike & Molly (she still watches the syndicated reruns), and which of course contained more than few fat jokes in many of its episodes.

alg-resize-mike-and-molly-jpg.jpg

(...and with some of those jokes self-deprecatingly delivered by the two leads here, and with others by the supporting players)

Hey, Darg...bizarrely I caught some movie over the weekend, called "Pumpkin" from 2002 I think, which had the earliest incarnation on film of McCarthy I've ever seen. Her friend, Christina Ricci was trying to set her up on a date, with a guy Ricci was training for the Special Olympics. I can't even describe this plot so will just give the online synopsis, and I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion of this rather odd film.

"A sorority girl finds her life falling apart after she develops romantic feelings for a mentally-challenged man."

12 hours ago, Swithin said:

My favorite fat joke from The Honeymooners:

Ralph:   "This happens to be my guest, and I am your employer.

Thelma the Maid:  "Some guest and some employer: The simp and the blimp!"

That episode is a riot. I think it is Betty Garde who plays the maid from hell!

Her comebacks to Ralphie Boy's rants are priceless.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

That episode is a riot. I think it is Betty Garde who plays the maid from hell!

Her comebacks to Ralphie Boy's rants are priceless.

Betty Garde was a great actress. Thelma the Maid, Kitty Stark, Wanda Skutnik, Aunt Eller in the original Broadway cast of Oklahoma!, and the lead in one of the best Twilight Zone episodes.

hqdefault.jpg

"I don't clean up after any midnight snacks. And this boy looks like he has plenty of midnight snacks!"

"A Woman's Work Is Never Done" (The Honeymooners)

bg-clip8_popout.png

MV5BYzYxOWQzZWQtMjk3ZS00ZTQzLWE5YzAtOWY3

Caged

MV5BODJkYzEyZjctNmE2Zi00Yzk5LWIwMmYtZDBh

"The Midnight Sun" (Twilight Zone) Betty Garde, Lois Nettleton

• Like 4
On 3/28/2019 at 8:03 AM, Sepiatone said:

MINE from the HONEYMOONERS is...

Ralph is going on about how when he does some dumb stunt he thought up that it'll "make me a HERO!"  Then asks Alice, "You KNOW what a HERO is, don't you?"  AND Alice answers, "Yeah.  It's a FAT SANDWICH full of BALONEY!"  :D 

Sepiatone

You see where this is similar to The Flintstones?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1