Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guys And Dolls is getting a remake now

Sukhov

Not sure if it was posted yet, so I'm creating a thread for it.

https://news.avclub.com/guys-and-dolls-is-getting-a-remake-now-1833592249

According to Variety, TriStar Pictures has picked up the rights to the Guys And Dolls Broadway musical, the Damon Runyon short stories that the musical was based on, the book and music from the Broadway musical, and the 1955 film adaptation starring Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, and Frank Sinatra. The obvious reasoning for this, beyond putting together some kind of bizarre Guys And Dolls collection that exclusively includes legal paperwork, is that TriStar is planning to develop a Guys And Dolls remake, following the success of recent movies like La La Land and The Greatest Showman.

We don’t know much beyond that, but hopefully TriStar’s production will find room for Mark Hamill’s classic Guys And Dolls number. The studio might have to negotiate for permission to use Star Wars, but it clearly has a lot of practice getting the rights to stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

unpopular(?) opinion: I do not like GUYS AND DOLLS, the movie, the music, or the story.

Yeah, it's not my favorite either but it may be interesting to see what they do with it. I won't hold high expectations though.

• Thanks 1

Guys and Doll could be updated to be a very dark film;  e.g. instead of just fun-loving drunks the spinster works in a drug treatment center dealing with folks addicted to prescription drugs.    One of the guys is making a mint off illegally supply these drugs etc....

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

unpopular(?) opinion: I do not like GUYS AND DOLLS, the movie, the music, or the story.

I recently picked up the vinyl for it at a Goodwill, and then the minute I got home, I realized: I don't even care about this musical, why did I buy it? Needless to say, it's back in circulation at my local Goodwill.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I recently picked up the vinyl for it at a Goodwill, and then the minute I got home, I realized: I don't even care about this musical, why did I buy it? Needless to say, it's back in circulation at my local Goodwill.

I see that you liked my post above;  maybe you like the idea of a dark version of Guys and Dolls? 

This did get me thinking;  What is the darkest musical?   I really can't think of any.   Maybe West Side Story (it does end with a killing)? 

Anyhow,  on reflection, dark and musicals don't really mix too well.    To pull that off would be a major challenge for the production team.

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I see that you liked my post above;  maybe you like the idea of a dark version of Guys and Dolls? 

This did get me thinking;  What is the darkest musical?   I really can't think of any.   Maybe West Side Story (it does end with a killing)? 

Anyhow,  on reflection, dark and musicals don't really mix too well.    To pull that off would be a major challenge for the production team.

220px-RepoGeneticOperaOfficialPoster.jpg

"By the year 2056, an epidemic of organ failures has devastated the planet. The mega-corporation GeneCo provides organ transplants on a payment plan. Clients who default on payments are hunted down by Repo Men: skilled assassins contracted by GeneCo to repossess organs, usually killing the clients in the process."

With songs!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: dark musicals: Sweeney Todd & Into the Woods are 2 that immediately come to mind. I'm always open to different interpretations. Guys and Dolls with a dark twist would be interesting. 

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

220px-RepoGeneticOperaOfficialPoster.jpg

"By the year 2056, an epidemic of organ failures has devastated the planet. The mega-corporation GeneCo provides organ transplants on a payment plan. Clients who default on payments are hunted down by Repo Men: skilled assassins contracted by GeneCo to repossess organs, usually killing the clients in the process."

With songs!

Yea, and an instant cult classic to boot!   

NickandNora did remind me of some dark musicals (Sweeney Todd & Into the Wood).  

There is a dark undercurrent in Guy and Dolls that could be mined.    While I don't know if that would 'work' I generally do like when a 'remake' tries a different angle.    

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea, and an instant cult classic to boot!   

NickandNora did remind me of some dark musicals (Sweeney Todd & Into the Wood).  

There is a dark undercurrent in Guy and Dolls that could be mined.    While I don't know if that would 'work' I generally do like when a 'remake' tries a different angle.    

The band Laibach comes to mind when you mention this angle. They play with the ambiguity of the lyrics from the Sound of Music for example.

A cute song about children staying up past their bedtime is turned into a creepy and disturbing cover about the Goebbels' family and the last days of the Third Reich and with the father dressed up as Kim Jong Un. :lol: The imagery on the wall is also influenced by the anti-fascist painter John Heartfield too.

• Like 1

La La Land wasn't necessarily dark but the ending was a bit downbeat.  

On 3/28/2019 at 9:10 AM, TopBilled said:

Interesting. Probably also inspired by Spielberg's remake of WEST SIDE STORY. 

Looks like musicals are now back in vogue.

I would welcome more musicals going in production. 

10 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

La La Land wasn't necessarily dark but the ending was a bit downbeat.  

I would welcome more musicals going in production. 

I have a feeling the trend is not towards wholesome family musicals. But crime musicals, with dark/gritty elements.

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

They will use the old classics to create a sub-genre of bleak musicals.

It'll depend somewhat on the director. Rob Marshall I doubt will sign on to a gratuitous remake.  The same goes with Spielberg. Perhaps, the opinion that the country needs feelgood stories - and musicals have historically filled that void - will take hold.  

1 minute ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

It'll depend somewhat on the director. Rob Marshall I doubt will sign on to a gratuitous remake.  The same goes with Spielberg. Perhaps, the opinion that the country needs feelgood stories - and musicals have historically filled that void - will take hold.  

I don't think the remakes will have the same tone or feeling the originals had. Regardless of director. The studio bosses who are bankrolling them will want something slightly different. There would be no need to remake the stories if they just ended up exactly the same as the earlier versions.

Also, since they will be tailored for today's younger generation, a generation that seems to favor darker/bleaker stories, it's a good bet these remakes will have more emphasis on crime and disillusionment. The endings may be ambiguous with a bit of hope in them, but they won't reinforce traditional political values.

Mostly we should expect the remakes to be edgier, more fatalistic...the characters will find it almost impossible to overcome nihilism. Song and dance will be the tools to do that, but if society is damned, then everything will be on the verge of extinction. These are the types of futuristic musicals we are going to see. Not something that takes us back to 1955 or 1961 or that sort of mentality.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think the remakes will have the same tone or feeling the originals had. Regardless of director. The studio bosses who are bankrolling them will want something slightly different. There would be no need to remake the stories if they just ended up exactly the same as the earlier versions.

Also, since they will be tailored for today's younger generation, a generation that seems to favor darker/bleaker stories, it's a good bet these remakes will have more emphasis on crime and disillusionment. The endings may be ambiguous with a bit of hope in them, but they won't reinforce traditional political values.

Mostly we should expect the remakes to be edgier, more fatalistic...the characters will find it almost impossible to overcome nihilism. Song and dance will be the tools to do that, but if society is damned, then everything will be on the verge of extinction. These are the types of futuristic musicals we are going to see. Not something that takes us back to 1955 or 1961 or that sort of mentality.

The top box office films are superhero flicks, science fiction adventures and animated comedies and musicals, few of which are bleak, dark or nihilistic.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The top box office films are superhero flicks, science fiction adventures and animated comedies and musicals, few of which are bleak, dark or nihilistic.

The superhero flicks have a lot of nihilism and darkness in them. The villains are sinister, depraved and often psychopathic...and often close to winning. I wouldn't be surprised if this particular brand of storytelling ultimately celebrates the anti-hero. You can see the seeds of that being sown in the way the stories are being written and performed. It's just a matter of time before the murderers in those films are rendered more "sympathetically."

That's going to spill on to these musical remakes, I have no doubt of it.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Not something that takes us back to 1955 or 1961 or that sort of mentality.

Look at all the boomer pоrn that harkens back to that era, like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel to name just one example.

...Some years ago I read one of Damon Runyon's books in it. and some of the humor in it was surprisingly dark! I suppose the original Broadway version was generally" nicer " to fit the general " Broadway musical " formula of that time -- especially consideriing the ' America triuphant but Age of Anxiety " period it came out of with the Bomb and the Cold War/McCarthyism! (To what extent might the book of G&D have been " nicened " still to fit a Production Code movie? I've never seen the play.) Runyon was dead by the time of the B'way version. Should a new version be more definitely a Prohibition period piece? Perhaps in some way out of time, with futuristic machinery but a Roaring Twenties setting. Runny 's characters, after all, are gangsters/hoodlums (& the people who hang around them)! I read a book by the author Nick Torches, about a real-life NYC gangster who was at least one of Runyon's inspirations for one character...

• Like 1

The darkest musical I know of, and it's also one of my favorites, is Johnny Johnson (1936), with book and lyrics by Paul Green and music by Kurt Weill. It's an anti-war musical set right before World War I, as a caution for a world heading into another war. The name comes from the fact that it appeared most frequently on the WWI casualty lists. Johnny is a stone cutter and the town has gathered to unveil his new monument, along with his sweetheart Minnie Belle and his rival, Anguish Howington. The mayor is cheered for a speech declaring that America must stay out of war in Europe, but a Civil War vet stirs up the crowd with his war reminiscences just as a message comes that war has been declared. Anguish declares to Minnie Belle that he'll join and be a hero, but Johnny is a pacifist and has reservations. The excited crowd takes up the cry for war and disperses, leaving Johnny to unveil his statue alone, an angel of peace.

Anguish weasles out of going but Johnny is affected by the idea that war can be ended for all time and enlists. As the troop ship passes the Statue of Liberty, she sings to the men that she is only an inanimate object which has been used to further the goals of political leaders. Similarly, once they are on the front lines, a row of huge cannons looming over the stage sing a lullaby to the sleeping troops that they are merely metal which could be put to more productive use in the lives of men. Johnny captures a sniper who speaks some English and they talk about how much their lives have in common. Johnny is reprimanded, punished, and sent home to an asylum in the States because of his peace "mania". 

Years pass, bringing it to present day (1936), and Johnny is released. He becomes a toymaker who sells his toys on the street and one day he sees Minnie Belle and Anguish hurrying to a large war preparedness rally in a stadium, which is emitting strange unearthly sounds. Johnny strolls away as the sounds fade and he sings his signature song.

The score was recorded in the 1950's with Burgess Meredith as Johnny and Lotte Lenya as Minnie Belle's mother, so it's available. I'm sure it would never be made into a movie, but I'd love to see a production of it. If I'd been more willful during my time in local theater, I would have done it myself.

• Thanks 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings