Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

The head was the hard part for me, too -- although I certainly can't claim that I could have drawn him more accurately.

Hint: he's a current movie star, whose aunt was also a well-known show business figure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BingFan said:

The head was the hard part for me, too -- although I certainly can't claim that I could have drawn him more accurately.

Hint: he's a current movie star, whose aunt was also a well-known show business figure.

Ah, I see.

Cluny Brown?

Cluny_Brown.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes -- Cluny Brown is my guess, too.

It'll be, by my count, the ninth Lubitsch film that Criterion has released, following Design for Living, To Be Or Not To Be, Trouble In Paradise, Heaven Can Wait, and, in Eclipse set no.8, The Love Parade, Monte Carlo, The Smiling Lieutenant, and One Hour With You.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

It hasn't been officially announced yet, so not before July.

Thanks. I thought CLUNY BROWN had been restored by Fox. I don't understand why Criterion would choose to "redo" it. What am I not fully understanding?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I thought CLUNY BROWN had been restored by Fox. I don't understand why Criterion would choose to "redo" it. What am I not fully understanding?

Criterion has previously issued other movies that were already restored by the owner (or a licensee): examples include Anatomy of a Murder, Design for Living, and Only Angels Have Wings.  (They've also occasionally re-issued recent movies that presumably didn't require restoration, like Fantastic Mr. Fox and Inside Llewyn Davis.)

I don't know whether Criterion always undertakes some further restoration of the picture/sound of older movies, or sometimes just issues the existing restoration.  (I have the impression that they do a further restoration on at least some of the movies they reissue.)

But what Criterion does always do, as far as I've seen, is include numerous additional bonus features that weren't on the original DVD/BR disc.  Among the possible bonus features are one or more new documentaries or interviews; "vintage" documentaries or interviews regarding the movie or its makers; a fairly long written essay; radio productions of the same story; the trailer; commentary; visual displays of publicity material for the film (posters, etc.); sometimes a different version of the same movie (e.g., Night and the City, which includes both the American and British versions of the film); and sometimes even wholly different film versions of the same story (e.g., Magnificent Obsession, which includes the 1935 version of the film as well as the more well-known Douglas Sirk version from 1954).

I guess it's a question of whether the many bonus features make it worth getting the new Criterion version of a previously-issued movie.  I usually think they're worth it even if I already have the movie on an older disc, but that's just me.  I love the background material.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BingFan said:

Criterion has previously issued other movies that were already restored by the owner (or a licensee): examples include Anatomy of a Murder, Design for Living, and Only Angels Have Wings.  (They've also occasionally re-issued recent movies that presumably didn't require restoration, like Fantastic Mr. Fox and Inside Llewyn Davis.)

I don't know whether Criterion always undertakes some further restoration of the picture/sound of older movies, or sometimes just issues the existing restoration.  (I have the impression that they do a further restoration on at least some of the movies they reissue.)

But what Criterion does always do, as far as I've seen, is include numerous additional bonus features that weren't on the original DVD/BR disc.  Among the possible bonus features are one or more new documentaries or interviews; "vintage" documentaries or interviews regarding the movie or its makers; a fairly long written essay; radio productions of the same story; the trailer; commentary; visual displays of publicity material for the film (posters, etc.); sometimes a different version of the same movie (e.g., Night and the City, which includes both the American and British versions of the film); and sometimes even wholly different film versions of the same story (e.g., Magnificent Obsession, which includes the 1935 version of the film as well as the more well-known Douglas Sirk version from 1954).

I guess it's a question of whether the many bonus features make it worth getting the new Criterion version of a previously-issued movie.  I usually think they're worth it even if I already have the movie on an older disc, but that's just me.  I love the background material.

Thanks for your in-depth take on all that. I did figure there were probably new features, otherwise why would someone who already owns the Fox restoration shell out money for a second copy. 

I would imagine that Kino Lorber is doing some of the same things with their latest releases.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope it's Cluny Brown.  I can't find this movie for purchase anywhere and I'd love it on Criterion! 

The drawing really doesn't look like George Clooney.  At first I thought it was JFK with Charlie Brown's body! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Has Cluny Brown been confirmed? We're only about a month out from Barnes & Noble's annual Criterion sale!

Not yet. September's releases will be announced on or around June 15th.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Continuing the Criterion cartoon trend, this month's is seemingly hinting the provocative 1986 Foreign Language Film nominee betty Blue.

Where do you see these? And can you post it?

Never mind...my e-mail was sending it to the spam folder.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CinemaInternational said:

Saw this in a Criterion group someone suggested me for on Facebook, the cartoon this month shows a crying Betty Boop.

Yeah, it was at the bottom of the e-mailed newsletter announcing the War and Peace release, as well. My account was flagging it as spam so I missed it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, it was at the bottom of the e-mailed newsletter announcing the War and Peace release, as well. My account was flagging it as spam so I missed it!

When I used to get the newsletters, sometimes the images wouldn't appear for me either. Might have ended up in spam before for me as well. Bit frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Saw this in a Criterion group someone suggested me for on Facebook, the cartoon this month shows a crying Betty Boop.

 

As long as it's not Betty Boop on Criterion! ::Gag::  LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Another little nugget gleamed from the Facebook group: we have confirmation that one title will be arriving in one of the last three months of the year: Wim Wender's director's cut of the giant 1991 Sci-Fi film Until the End of the World starring William Hurt, Solveg Sommartin, Sam Neill, Max Von Sydow, and Jeanne Moreau. it's the 4 hour 55 minute cut that aired here on TCM in 2017.

This confirmation came from Wim Wender's foundation, which vouches that Criterion will be releasing this very long cut in 2019, not 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Another little nugget gleamed from the Facebook group: we have confirmation that one title will be arriving in one of the last three months of the year: Wim Wender's director's cut of the giant 1991 Sci-Fi film Until the End of the World starring William Hurt, Solveg Sommartin, Sam Neill, Max Von Sydow, and Jeanne Moreau. it's the 4 hour 55 minute cut that aired here on TCM in 2017.

This confirmation came from Wim Wender's foundation, which vouches that Criterion will be releasing this very long cut in 2019, not 2020.

I may eventually get around to seeing it, but I'm in no rush. I wasn't fond of the released version, but I like the theme song.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read about a remaster for David Cronenberg's 1996 film Crash, which will receive a limited theatrical release on the arthouse circuit. As Criterion has released several of the director's movies, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are releasing it on disc sometime in the next year.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/cronenbergs-crash-gets-a-4k-uncut-restoration/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...