Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Latest cartoon is odd....

No whole concensus on what this sketch of Beyonce is referring to, although people have been guessing Diva (1981) or An Unmarried Woman (1978).

Diva is more likely. It's been on the Criterion Channel lately, and there were essays and commentary about it.

Another one I'll be skipping. I watched it a few months ago and didn't care for it at all.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 3:03 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Saw this in a Criterion group someone suggested me for on Facebook, the cartoon this month shows a crying Betty Boop.

I'm guessing it's about five months too late to guess Betty Blue (1986)?

Just wanted to keep the thread bumped in time for New Year's...Some people don't know what to do with New Year's Day, but Blu/DVD buffs always know where they'll be.  B)

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

New cartoon today. My guess is The Great Escape, which would be a day-one buy for me if it happens.

(winces at cartoon pun)

Yeah, Criterion's getting into the MGM/UA Orphans, so a Criterion Great Escape would be just fine, thank you.

And I can't remember why we thought Diva was the big thing, although foreign films were just starting to mainstream in the 80's, and that subway chase was pretty good.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The artist behind those Criterion doodles passed away. Jason Polan was 37.

Here's an appreciation from the Criterion website:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6793-farewell-to-our-friend-jason-polan

I'm sorry to hear about Jason Polan's passing.  Although I didn't know until now who he was, I always enjoyed his drawings for Criterion.  From the NY Times obituary, it sounds like his artistic interests were wide-ranging.

I wonder if the Criterion cartoons will continue with another artist.  Polan gave the idea a great start, and whoever comes next (if anyone) will stand on his shoulders.

• 2 weeks later...

And Criterion again announces that they will handle some more titles: Sunday's Best Picture winner Pasasite, and another film from the same director, Memories of Murder. Along with the aforementioned Jaramush films and the Netflix titles (Irishman, Atlantics, American Factory, Marriage Story, and most likely The Other Side of the Wind, given how Criterion has handled a lot of Welles titles), it is definitely skewing toward recent independent films.

• Like 1