Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

For Gastronauts Only!

Films or tv shows which focus on the culinary arts are always suberbly filling fare.

I was going to say my favorite was Malle's "My Dinner With Andre" but then realized that though Andre and Wallace were being served constantly during their conversation, I don't remember any of the gastronomic delights or even the wine, just mostly the conversation. So I shall say that my favorite outing on this subject is actually an "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode called "The Speciality of the House" written by the talented Stanley Ellin, and starring the exquisitely talented Robert Morley.

Now for all who've seen it, they know that this little club for those who enjoy fine cuisine, has a very small and privileged clientele who are invited, which leads to a fitting denouement, when the latest inductee may get to enjoy the current speciality of the house, in a finely tuned black humor situation.

Your reservation is now being called if you'd like to dine with us, and mention any Cordon Bleu renderings you've enjoyed on film or tv?

Nice reference to Stanley Ellin. The prolific and talented Ellin won the Edgar Award something like three separate occasions, yet he has never become a household name. A wonderful American crime writer.

Culinary considerations: its said that all of the films of Coppola, whenever food is depicted, he uses true gourmet food in any scenes for the actors to eat and in order so that the plates and dishes photograph properly; if they are emphasized in any shot. In Act 1 of 'Apocalypse Now' you can see the spook (not a professional actor, by the way) and the General (LG Spradley I think?) in the General's ridiculous Winnebago luxuriously dining on lobster,  shrimp, asparagus, etc. Sumptuous! You can see the drawn butter dripping off the fork.

• Thanks 1

I can't think of any films were gourmet food was a key part of what was going on,  but one film that I really enjoy related to this topic is If You Could Only Cook with Jean Arthur and Herbert Marshall.    While the gangster they work for is a food lover and enjoys Jean's cooking,  there is much said about food in the film.

One modern film I love is Ratatouille,   the 2007 animated movie set in Paris.   This film is so charming that one tends to forget that the best cook here is a RAT!    A film has to have something special to pull that off.

• Thanks 1

Babette’s Feast

Incidentally:

Stéphane Audran, died 27 March 2018, she played Babette, the Parisian refugee and ‘cook’ to the Sisters. 

Such a glorious and memorable feast on film!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We went to see Babette's Feast in the 1980s, probably the year it opened. We had the choice of buying regular tickets for the movie only, or buy a pricier ticket and enjoy a dinner based on the food served in the movie after the show. We only saw the movie. It is a wonderful movie, and the banquet that Babette prepares is fantastic.

caille-en-sarcophage.jpg

tumblr_o10k0zGHXU1qd3lbbo1_500.gif

babettesfeast14.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a Japanese flick I saw once where the sexually frustrated wife of a cold business exec, goes to extravagant lengths preparing high-end sushi to win back his physical attentions. All to no avail, and eventually her lesbian neighbor soon devises a different suggestion as to what to do with him. I never knew the title of this but the photography and the sushi was certainly marvelous. Otherwise it is a crime/horror/suspense movie.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Films or tv shows which focus on the culinary arts are always suberbly filling fare.

I was going to say my favorite was Malle's "My Dinner With Andre" but then realized that though Andre and Wallace were being served constantly during their conversation, I don't remember any of the gastronomic delights or even the wine, just mostly the conversation. So I shall say that my favorite outing on this subject is actually an "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode called "The Speciality of the House" written by the talented Stanley Ellin, and starring the exquisitely talented Robert Morley.

Now for all who've seen it, they know that this little club for those who enjoy fine cuisine, has a very small and privileged clientele who are invited, which leads to a fitting denouement, when the latest inductee may get to enjoy the current speciality of the house, in a finely tuned black humor situation.

Your reservation is now being called if you'd like to dine with us, and mention any Cordon Bleu renderings you've enjoyed on film or tv?

Ah yes! Good episode, alright.

Always reminded me of that old joke..."Donner party of five. Your table is ready."

(...and then my little addition to it..."However, I'm sorry, we're already out of the long pork dinner this evening. May I suggest the calf's liver instead.") 

• Haha 1

La grande bouffe (1973)

A group of men go to a villa in the French countryside where they resolve to eat themselves to death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)

The wife of a barbaric crime boss engages in a secretive romance with a gentle bookseller between meals at her husband's restaurant. Food, colour coding, sex, murder, torture and cannibalism are the exotic fare

• Thanks 1

Tampopo (1985)

A truck driver stops at a small family-run noodle shop and decides to help its fledgling business. The story is intertwined with various vignettes about the relationship of love and food.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Tampopo (1985)

A truck driver stops at a small family-run noodle shop and decides to help its fledgling business. The story is intertwined with various vignettes about the relationship of love and food.

Juzo Itami's Tampopo (1986) for those who can't read kanji, and yes.  The perfect movie for turning your love of packet noodle-ramen into a love of Japanese-restaurant ramen.  B)  

IIRC, one of our first cultural hints that Japan had an actual functioning (and silly) sense of humor, just a few years before Lum, Ranma and Totoro would hit our college campuses.

(And of course you know, Joe, that the only REAL reason I'm responding to your post is my secret unexpressed romantic passion for you, which my frustrated male-ego repression can only express in creepy obsessed acts of net-stalking...Oh, just grab me, you big sweet wonderful fool, and kiss me like there's no tomorrow! 😍  ) 

• Haha 1

BigNight.jpg

"Im'a just sayin', Louis Prima gonna wanna the spaghetti too!" 

• Thanks 1

“Babette’s Feast” (1987) 

babettes-feast.jpg

“The Baker’s Wife” (1938 )

the-bakers-wife.jpg

“Big Night” (1996)

big-night.jpg

• Thanks 1

Lets not forget:

Eating Raoul (1982)

Paul enters his apartment to find his wife Mary fighting off a swinger who has gotten the wrong address. He hits the man with a frying pan, killing him. Paul and Mary's dreams of running a small restaurant seem to be in jeopardy until they decide to dispose of the body, keep the wallet, and to advertise for other sexually oriented visitors who are summarily killed, robbed, bagged, and sent as "meat" to a taco company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a film about food, but how about the "fining Dining" scene from TOM JONES?😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, back to seriousness...

EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN (1994)

41EfBgS2MNL.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Lets not forget:

Eating Raoul (1982)

Paul enters his apartment to find his wife Mary fighting off a swinger who has gotten the wrong address. He hits the man with a frying pan, killing him. Paul and Mary's dreams of running a small restaurant seem to be in jeopardy until they decide to dispose of the body, keep the wallet, and to advertise for other sexually oriented visitors who are summarily killed, robbed, bagged, and sent as "meat" to a taco company.

I'm saddened and surprised it took as long as it did for this one to get mention.  Liked that flick a lot more than I thought I would.  It tickled me years later that Paul Bartel wound up in a small role in one of the SOAPS my wife used to watch.  Can't recall which one though...

And let's not forget just WHERE Stan Shaw got those RIBS he's turnin' on that barbecue in FRIED GREEN TOMATOES!  :o :wacko:

Sepiatone

• Haha 3

On 3/28/2019 at 8:47 PM, cigarjoe said:

La grande bouffe (1973)

A group of men go to a villa in the French countryside where they resolve to eat themselves to death.

Seen it, love it and it reminds me of "In the Realm of the Senses" where some folks almost kill themselves doing something else enjoyable. Thanks, CigarJoe!

On 3/28/2019 at 8:54 PM, cigarjoe said:

Tampopo (1985)

Great choice, CigarJoe!