Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saturday Morning Matinee Slot

Walter L.

I am watching it now:

Why does TCM not brand their Saturday morning vintage Saturday matinee slot as.a separate program? They've been running it for a while and I'm glad they do! They run a couple of short cartoons, and an installment of a serial - They never run those at other times - Plus a couple more shorts more typical of what they normally run, and a B western.

This is obviously meant to recall an FDR/HST-era 2 PM Sat./Sun. show - even if it's at 5AM PST!!!!!!!!!!!:-# I was watching the first week they showed it, then it stopped for a while, now it's back - and I'd like more programming among these lines. Maybe showing some other features - B Westerns have never been a great interest of mine. However, I guess I'll watch-and-phone post this Dick Foran one now!:-)

Seriously, why doesn't TCM promote this slot as the dedicated show it clearly is?

It seems to be a sometime thing, Walter L.  I notice it's on some Saturday mornings, and other Saturdays it's only films in the lineup. Maybe that's why it's not promoted like the Silent Sundays, TCM Imports or Underground?

• 3 weeks later...

...I saw this night that they now were referring to it on screen as a dedicated slot, SATURDAY MATINEE! The on-screen billing did not mention what the components of it we're, not even the feature, the B Western...just " Saturday Matinee " billing. What was the name of that Dick For an one I referred to above, please? Annoyingly enough, I got cut off before the end:-(. It strikes that the non-cartoon and non-serial shorts they show in the Sat Mat slot are not particularly what I would think of as particularly " kid-oriented " by that era's standards. I've noted that the cartoons are always an MGM cartoon at the beginning, a (always Fleisher-era?) Popeye at the end.

I wish they'd show more cartoons!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings