Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Batman at 80: Who's your favorite?

jakeem

There are two kinds of people in the world: Superman fans and Batman fans. I have always been in the former group, but that doesn't mean I don't like tales about The World's Greatest Detective.

To commemorate Batman's first appearance in Detective Comics No. 1, issued on March 30, 1939, here's a thread designed to discuss your favorite incarnations of The Caped Crusader/The Dark Knight. As a Superman fan, I'm going to chime in later.

Image result for batman batsignal gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tumblr_nxhpvvpR8g1tphw3do1_500.jpg

I'm a Joker fan, and as such I've always resented that pampered rich kid Bruce Wayne and his silly bat ears. However, if I had to choose a favorite DC hero, it would probably be old gloomy. 

812.jpg250?cb=20140421143137

Who's my favorite Batman? I'm not sure. I've liked them all, with the exceptions of Lewis Wilson and Robert Lowery from the 40's serials.

TELEMMGLPICT000036097758_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Adam West - Terrific straight-faced comic depiction, excellent as Wayne, mediocre as Batman but very enjoyable given the tone taken.

1804e81bbdf3fc3165fbc64ce087ba80

Michael Keaton - I was a skeptic, but ended up liking him, more so in costume than as Wayne.

Val-Kilmer-Bruce-WayneBatman.jpg

Val Kilmer - He looked good in the costume, but the movie was dreadful. Almost as bad as ...

george_clooney.jpg

George Clooney - He seemed born to play Bruce Wayne, but Schumacher's travesty left no one unscathed.

Christian-Bale-Bruce-WayneBatman.jpg

Christian Bale - I liked Bale, and thought he fit Christopher Nolan's more reality-based take on the material. He wasn't much fun as Wayne, though. Regardless, he's probably my favorite so far.

the-batman-ben-affleck-825560.jpg

Ben Affleck - He was better than I expected as an older, more cynical Batman, and his Dark Knight Returns influenced look was spot-on. Too bad he couldn't have been in better movies.

There's a new Batman on the horizon, with casting most likely to be announced in the next couple of months.

maxresdefault.jpg

I reserve judgment on the various animated, voice-only Batmen, as I don't have much exposure to them.

If I've forgotten anyone, please mention them below.

• Thanks 3

Michael Keaton's my favorite.

And I will always be fond of Adam West's campy portrayal of the character(s) on TV. Incidentally, Lyle Waggoner screen tested for the TV version. Wonder how that would've turned out if they hadn't chosen West.

Here's Waggoner's screen test:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I guess I'll always be fond of Adam West, not just because of his unique campy portrayal, but because West the person had such a great outlook. There was a long interview piece on the Batman series DVDs, and he said he was grateful to have been such a big part of pop culture even if it was for a short time, and he was grateful for having had a great career and terrific family and friends. He was a class act.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Michael Keaton's my favorite.

And I will always be fond of Adam West's campy portrayal of the character(s) on TV. Incidentally, Lyle Waggoner screen tested for the TV version. Wonder how that would've turned out if they hadn't chosen West.

Here's Waggoner's screen test:

Based on this screen test, Lyle Waggoner looks more like a Superman.

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Christian-Bale-Bruce-WayneBatman.jpg

Christian Bale - I liked Bale, and thought he fit Christopher Nolan's more reality-based take on the material. He wasn't much fun as Wayne, though. Regardless, he's probably my favorite so far.

the-batman-ben-affleck-825560.jpg

Ben Affleck - He was better than I expected as an older, more cynical Batman, and his Dark Knight Returns influenced look was spot-on. Too bad he couldn't have been in better movies.

Hated Dark Knight, and suffered through the ridiculously over-wishful Justice League, but have to admit:  Christian Bale is the better Bruce Wayne, but Ben Affleck is the better Batman.  

Thanks to the Bale/Affleck movies, the comics have now made the scary-gravelly voice-modulator built into Bat's suit canon, to now explain why nobody says "Hey, doesn't he sound sorta like Bruce Wayne?"

(And Adam West is okay if you're with the whole "Support your police!" 60's anti-Establishment spoof, but that's if.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Wouldn't it been easier just to embed kryptonite dust into that armor? :huh:

In Frank Miller's graphic novel "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" -- the sequel to the writer-artist's "The Dark Knight Returns" -- Batman pummels Superman with Kryptonite gloves.

Of course, today's Batman fanboys would give The Dark Knight the edge in any matchups with other superheroes. The reason: He would simply find a way to win.

Personally, I'm from the World's Finest School of Thought. Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are friends. But Batman keeps a chunk of Kryptonite handy in case Superman ever goes rogue. 

gadget18-284x300.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings