Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George Segal night

jameselliot

Just now, jameselliot said:

It would have been appropriate if George Segal was invited to sit with Eddie Muller and talk about the films they programmed last week. It was a lost opportunity. Or they could have done it by webcam if not in the studio.

Yes,  it would have been great to see a discussion with Muller and Segal (and not just the films scheduled).

It seems as though TCM isn't doing nearly as good a job of rounding up the limited pool of living actors as they once did. Private Screenings, Word of Mouth segments, etc....gone with the wind. There is usually an interview from the Film Festival which shows up as a broadcast, but it's a shame that more oral history isn't being captured for us. George Segal would be a good one.

• Like 1

When the administration of TCM changed--I'm talking about the changes that would bring us Backlot and the Wine Club--the corporate powers that be (from Time Warner, I think) axed the original programming as a money-saving matter. One major interview is filmed each year at the festival, and the short interviews before films shown at the festival are also taped. 

I agree completely that it would be great to have an extended interview taking George Segal through his career. If TCM had enough money, they would certainly do this. In the early years when Ted Turner was involved, they did interview stars from the studio era. I wish more of those interviews were shown on the network, and not just to Backlot members.

• Like 2

It's incredibly short sighted of TCM not to film as many interviews as they can with proven classic filmmakers. None of them are getting any younger. Interviews concerning their careers and the industry changes will be a valuable addition to any brand's library.

I'm sure the loss of Robt Osborne is partially to blame. But could you imagine if TCM had never recorded that Betty Hutton interview? Private Screenings is now historically important, considering it's a film record of Robt O now too.

• Like 1

I would hope George Segal would have too much self-respect to ever appear on anything via a 'web cam'. Anyway its good to see his name mentioned again hot-on-the-heels of the 'King Rat' conversation. The last surviving cast member of 'Virginia Woolf...and a talented saxophone player as well. He worked with a ton of big names; I hope he put all his anecdotes down on paper sometime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingrat said:

When the administration of TCM changed--I'm talking about the changes that would bring us Backlot and the Wine Club--the corporate powers that be (from Time Warner, I think) axed the original programming as a money-saving matter. One major interview is filmed each year at the festival, and the short interviews before films shown at the festival are also taped. 

I agree completely that it would be great to have an extended interview taking George Segal through his career. If TCM had enough money, they would certainly do this. In the early years when Ted Turner was involved, they did interview stars from the studio era. I wish more of those interviews were shown on the network, and not just to Backlot members.

It appears you assume the reason why aging stars like Segal are not interviewed is due to money.    Hey, could be but I wonder.   E.g. does TCM pay these actors?   My understanding was no (beyond travel expenses).   

Anyhow,  if TCM isn't asking these actor if they wish to be interview,  that is an issue with me,  but I hope it isn't because of the relatively minor expense of conducting said interview.   

9 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I would hope George Segal would have too much self-respect to ever appear on anything via a 'web cam'. Anyway its good to see his name mentioned again hot-on-the-heels of the 'King Rat' conversation. The last surviving cast member of 'Virginia Woolf...and a talented saxophone player as well. He worked with a ton of big names; I hope he put all his anecdotes down on paper sometime.

I agree, Sergeant. For several years I have written suggesting that TCM show King Rat at the festival, especially if George Segal and/or/ James Fox and/or Tom Courtenay could be induced to come. KR and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Segal, KR and perhaps Thoroughly Modern Millie for Fox, and KR and (fill in one of many films) for Courtenay. All three have still been acting in recent years. Bryan Forbes is, alas, gone, but his widow, Nanette Newman, is alive, and they have two daughters who have acted as well.

James, any interviewee would, I am sure, have to be paid, and so would the interviewer, the cameraman, the editor, and everyone else involved in making the interview happen. This is the department that the powers that be axed, or at least that is my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

if TCM isn't asking these actor if they wish to be interview,  that is an issue with me,  but I hope it isn't because of the relatively minor expense of conducting said interview.   

I certainly hope not either.

The cost to make these isn't cheap; the crew, the post production, etc but the value is having a finished product in the library before it's too late. We see it as an investment.

But the suits just don't see it that way, they think no one cares about the past history of classic film and they can't justify any expense in "that old stuff".

Subtract Robert Osborne personally appealing to the star talent, assuring a decent, polite interview for posterity and there goes all hope of any additional Private Screenings.

• Like 2

H'mmm. Redford appeared with Ben Mank a few months ago, he's obviously friendly to the network; I can't believe TCM can't find another such big name to espouse the cause of classic cinema even on a pro bono basis. What's Jane Fonda doing lately, she wouldnt lend her name to such a project? All this smacks of half-hearted marketing & development. Weak outreach. I worked in fund-raising for a while, this would be easy-peasy.  Cost: with the way everything is rented these days I can't see a measly little interview costing more than five or ten thou. After all where does TCM get all their fancy graphics? Hire some interns from a local film school. Even I could edit that kind of simple studio footage in Avid or FinalCut. Just sayin'!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings